My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #491  
   / My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics)
The following are pictures of my Massey 135 tractor's front grille after it was disassembled. As you can see, most parts have numerous dents and cracks which need repaired. The lower pan is heavily damaged with previous weld repairs which need to be ground off and re-done properly. Note that the center door of the front grille assembly is not shown, but it also required a fair amount of straightening, primarily to the bottom, which was bent inwards and upwards.

1fee5w.jpg

sdpu8m.jpg

5pk4rl.jpg

18kuoj.jpg

vglnk3.jpg

The following image shows the difference between a side panel which has been straightened (upper), and one which has not (lower). Both side panels were bent in the same place, and as far as I can tell the bends were caused by an impact to the nose cone assembly which pushed everything back. Both side panels also have stress cracks which need to be welded.

a2cg1k.jpg

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #494  
Are you planning on having the chrome replated?

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #497  
I haven't decided yet.

Well, I understand there has to be a financial line that can't be crossed, especially since this has nothing to do with the operation of the tractor.

On the other hand..you get all dressed up for the prom, new threads, haircut, the ride is shined - but you leave a big whitehead on the end of your nose. You have been so meticulous on this build....if you can swing the cost I think I would.

Funny how this project evolved from your original intent!

Rattle can chrome paint doesn't look bad. Of course it isn't as durable and doesn't shine like real chrome.

Keep up the good work!

Wasn't the grill painted?

To my knowledge, the only parts that were originally chromed were the throttle lever, side emblems, and front nose cone emblem. Note that while the bar behind the front nose cone emblem is silver in color, it was not actually chromed. As near as I can tell, it was painted and clear-coated. In addition, I've read about the headlight wings having been chromed/polished in some restorations, but there is no evidence of them having ever been chromed originally.

Well, I understand there has to be a financial line that can't be crossed, especially since this has nothing to do with the operation of the tractor.

While I must admit that finances are the primary reason for my hesitation to go with real chrome, there are also practical considerations to take into account. First, I have concerns about the longevity of chrome on the throttle lever because the acids contained in our skin (hands) tend to eat away at chrome, which leads to rust. Second, the vast majority of the surface of the emblems was painted, with only the chrome on the perimeter and raised surfaces being visible. All things considered, I'm having trouble justifying the expense when the costs seem to greatly outweigh the benefits.

/ My 1966 Massey 135 Tractor (Pics) #499  
You would have more knowledge than me, seems like I recall a restored 135 I saw with a bit of chrome on the front. When looking at your front end pics, I thought perhaps some of those parts had been chromed. Thinking back, I do believe he had chrome bezels on the headlights.

Also, seems like I also recall some chrome on the steering wheel or steering column. There again, it was probably a bit of bling added by the owner...and I have no idea what year his was.

It was a beauty, thats for sure. i can't wait till yours is done.

I can't wait till yours is done.

Same here. With any luck it should be done, or at least running, by late spring or early summer. At least that's the plan anyway.