Oil & Fuel my 1990 855 is leaking

/ my 1990 855 is leaking #1  

rkboyer911

Tractor
JD 855
im VERY new to the tractor world and I just bought me an 855 with a 72" mmm with and about 1000 hours on it....I brought it home and it has 2 leaks...1 is the valve cover on the exhaust side and the other one is the power steering cyl. are these comon?? im kinda afrade to tighten them and mess somthing up....is there orings that can be replaced on the steering? and should I try to tighten the 3 bolts on the top of the valve cover....thats all I seen that holds it on....thanks so much!! im loving it other than the 2 leaks!! only other things Ive found is the light switch is bad along with the hour/tach meter.... thanks in advance

/ my 1990 855 is leaking #2  
im VERY new to the tractor world and I just bought me an 855 with a 72" mmm with and about 1000 hours on it....I brought it home and it has 2 leaks...1 is the valve cover on the exhaust side and the other one is the power steering cyl. are these comon?? im kinda afrade to tighten them and mess somthing up....is there orings that can be replaced on the steering? and should I try to tighten the 3 bolts on the top of the valve cover....thats all I seen that holds it on....thanks so much!! im loving it other than the 2 leaks!! only other things Ive found is the light switch is bad along with the hour/tach meter.... thanks in advance

When you say the steering cylinder is leaking... where exactly is it leaking from? Around the rod? or where the lines connect to the cylinder? If it's around the rod, then the internal cylinder seals are shot. Unfortunatley, this is not a serviceable cylinder. About $300 for a new one from JD. If it's leaking at the lines, those fittings are ORB or ORFS (can't remember which off hand) and the o-rings can be replaced.

/ my 1990 855 is leaking
I sprayed it down with brake cleaner last night about dark and am at work today at the Fire Dept..so cannot check where its leaking till then....I guess im hoping its the lines that are leaking.....the joints are tight on the steering linkage so I hope the entire cyl isnt shot. But thanks:thumbsup: Ill look in the morning.

/ my 1990 855 is leaking
looked this morning and it seems like the steering is leaking from around the rod..:(. Thats going to hurt to order that part!! However the valve cover bolts were a hair loose. didn't want to get them to tight so I just snugged them up a lil...we will see if that stops it.

/ my 1990 855 is leaking #5  
The valve cover has a neopreme type square seal that fits in a groove in the valve cover and seals against the head. Its available from JD parts. The hold down nuts also have seals. If the leak is from higher up on the cover it could be those. Careful on the torque. I don't remember the exact value but it's not very much.

/ my 1990 855 is leaking
The valve cover has a neopreme type square seal that fits in a groove in the valve cover and seals against the head. Its available from JD parts. The hold down nuts also have seals. If the leak is from higher up on the cover it could be those. Careful on the torque. I don't remember the exact value but it's not very much.

I tightened the bolts just a lil...maybe 1/2 a turn and it seems like that it has stopped the leak!! thanks....now the steering is leaking pretty bad from the rod..I was told there is a hyd. shop here in Kansas city that can cut the end off and fix the seal then weld it back together for about 125-150 bucks...looks like ill try that route than getting the whole thing new....

/ my 1990 855 is leaking #7  
What is the name of this shop... might come in handy. Take a good look at the rod ends on that cylinder before you pay to have it rebuilt. They are non-replaceable, so if they're worn out or close to it, you'd be better off getting a new one. If there is plenty of life left in them, do the rebuild.

/ my 1990 855 is leaking
Yes I agree...mine are pretty tight still so im in good shape there. its called Acme cylinder...I havent looked them up as of yet to see where exactly they are in KC.

/ my 1990 855 is leaking #9  
Yes I agree...mine are pretty tight still so im in good shape there. its called Acme cylinder...I havent looked them up as of yet to see where exactly they are in KC.

Probably Acme Hydraulics in KCK.