My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L

/ My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L #61  
I think that 50 miles is too small of a sample to fully determine what kind of mileage I will get overall towing. I'd really like to see 9 mph, but we will see.

Brian

Brian check out www.rudysdiesel.com they can help in the Mileage department. I too have a 450 4x4, new she racked up 10-11mpg ave, now she is workign at 15-16 mpg empty and 14-15 with 10K in tow.

Aaron at Rudy's can explain and help- get to this point.

My rig has a few mods and runs 495HP/975#ft on the dyno. No it is nto a race truck it works for a living. The $1500 buck I spent at Rudy's was well worth it in the fuel mileage department.

Cheers
Rob.

/ My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L #62  
Rob,

Give me a hint. Which tuner brand.

Thanks,
Mark

/ My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L #63  
Rob,

Give me a hint. Which tuner brand.

Thanks,
Mark

H&S Mini, currently running the 250 tune with 45mph lock up. Mini has a excellent display and settable defuel levels to keep the internals happy, and accidental applications of Max power under control.
Left the Garage door open and the DPF and DOC went walk-a bout, location unknown... Left the hood open and EGR joined them.......

New H&S tune 300 does some better stuff with the Trans / Torque converter lock up, 4 gear Lock up better efficency = better mpgs.

Need a new set of rubber Factory stuff was not cutting it, 265/70R19.5 dropped the RPMs significantly, need to run a tank or two to figure new mileage. I am hoping for 18 empty and 16 loaded.

PS do not run with heavy right foot the tires are not cheap, yes it will cut 'em loose on dry pavment......

Any other q's drop me a line

cheers
Rob

/ My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L #64  
Rob,

You and I are on the same page. Exactly what I was thinking of doing. Thank you for the valuable input.

Mark

/ My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L #65  
Mark,
Another cat to chat with is Mike from KEMperformance. He is a custom tuner and has some real good insight into making these beasts run better.

July(16-17) we are retuning the trans to think better looking at earlier lockups in lower gears maybe as low as 2nd. More of an automated manual type of performance. The event is a NHRDA in Petersburg Va, if your interested stop down may be we can get a two for one. Your welcome to stop by My place for the night if you like.

Cheers
Rob.

/ My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L #66  
Mark,
Another cat to chat with is Mike from KEMperformance. He is a custom tuner and has some real good insight into making these beasts run better.

July(16-17) we are retuning the trans to think better looking at earlier lockups in lower gears maybe as low as 2nd. More of an automated manual type of performance. The event is a NHRDA in Petersburg Va, if your interested stop down may be we can get a two for one. Your welcome to stop by My place for the night if you like.

Cheers
Rob.
Rob,

Unfortunately, I will be on the other side of the continent July 16-17, otherwise that would be really cool! Thank you for the invite. If something changes in my schedule, I will IM you.

Mark

/ My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L #67  
Mark,

Just updated the tuner (H&S) to the new 300 tune. This update changed soem og the transmission thinking and lock modes in addition to more monitoring selections. I noticed this mornign that the Ave Mileage meter is reading closer to normal now. initial tune it showed that I was getting 37mpg...... really?, no. Now it is showing 19.4 this is something closer to reality how correct it is I will have to run a couple of tank$ of fuel thru it and do some hand calculations to verify.

Mind that this initial figure is running empty on the snooze control at 56mph.

Stats:
EGT 550 deg
% throttle 7-14
Speed 56mph.
Boost 10psi or less.

Driving , EGT is my primary gauge when towing or hauling I monitor like a hawk and keep the temps under 1300 deg. It is fairly hard to reach that limit for any lenght of time.

Hooking up the trailer this weekend let you know more next wek.

Cheers
Rob.

/ My 2008 F450 XLT 4x4 6.4L #68  
Mark,
Hooked up the trailer this past weekend, great results. 16.6 over a 250 mile run with a high drag, boat behind. Weight comes in around 5500#.

Did you get you equipment yet?

Installed?

Thoughts?

Cheers