My 2025R Thread

/ My 2025R Thread #1  

jeepcoma

Bronze Member
Tractor
Grillo G110 Diesel, JD 2025R
Hi all, I picked up a new 2025R this summer and thought I'd create a thread of my own to post updates about what I'm doing with the tractor, modifications, projects, etc. First, I gained a lot of information from various internet sources, posts, videos, etc and it has helped me a lot, so I hope that by writing about my own experiences I might be able to help out someone else. Second, it's a good way for me to document what I've done and to be able to look back over the years and see progress. As TTWT pointed out in a video, property maintence is a long term job, and it's important to celebrate the accomplishments. This is very true because I'm always thinking about what I need to do next, and it's easy to overlook all the things I have done.

So first, some background about why I chose the 2025R. I live in rural NH on 21 acres. It's split roughly in half by a brook. On the north side is a steep hill, about 10 acres. On the south side it's mostly flat (for NH) about 8 arces, then a smaller 2 acre elevated hill. The "hill" has our house, garage, and barn. The 8 acres contains our yard, paddock, and pasture. Oh, and it's all in a floodplain. This ground is very soft. Based on experience from driving trucks and other vehicles on the property, a weight of about 3,000-4,000 lbs is relatively safe, while much higher results in leaving deep tracks and getting stuck in the mud. That effectively limited my search to the subcompacts.

In my area, the options are Kubota, Kioti, Mahindra, and JD. I had done a bit of research into tractors (and ultimately bought the Grillo) when I purchased the property so had some knowledge of the JD 1 series as well as Mahindra, as well as some (favorable) past experience with JD. I liked the mechanical simplicity of the basic Mahindra units, but neighbor has a Mahindra and complains about how long it takes to swap implements (and my goal is to always have the minimum amount of weight on it, so that's important). An eMax was a good deal more expensive than either JD or Kubota options. A visit to the Kubota dealer was a neutral experience. I stopped at the JD dealer and the 2025R seemed like the Goldilocks tractor - a bit more ground clearance than the 1025R, a bit bigger (better ground clearance for the woods matters to me), slightly more weight, slightly more cost. The removal and attachment of the loader, backhoe, and mower deck looked very well thought out and easy and quick to do. That narrowed down my selection to the 1 and 2 series. Let's look at the weights of the 1025R and the 2025R:

Unit1025R weight2025R weight
Tractor1,5561,872
Loader (120R, frame + bucket)808808
Backhoe (260B)610610
Mower (54" for 1025R, 60" for 2025R)197258

That puts the "max transport weight" of the 1025R at 3,171 lbs and 3,548 for the 2025R, a 12% difference. Both of these are in the sweet spot for me.

Price wise was even less of a difference. Going from the 1025R with 54" mower deck to the 2025R with 60" mower deck was a 5% increase. For me, the slight additional capability was worth the slight additional charge.

Comparing the 2025R to the 2032R/2038R was about 50% more in both weight and price in just the base tractor (plus all the bigger implements are heavier and more expensive). And, the most taxing work HP wise I'll be doing is mowing, so there were a lot of downsides for my application without any significant benefit.

If I'm being completely honest, a part of my decision also came down to how each unit felt. Compared to the Kubotas, the Deere's just "felt" better to me, ergonomically and visually. The 2025R had a bit more of a "big tractor" feel compared to the 1025R. When you're going to spend a lot of money on something and keep it for a long time, it's important that you like it, and that helps avoid buyer's remorse and regrets. So for me, I liked the 2025R best out of all my options, and it checked off the right boxes for what I needed it to do.

June 14th, 2023 I took delivery of a brand new 2025R TLB, hydraulic thumb, 60" MMM, and BB2048 box blade! It occurred to me that the only big equipment purchases that I have bought new have been my 2-wheel tractor and now my 4-wheel. I've never had a new car or truck!

i-hVgfssg-X4.jpg

Hope you will enjoy following along as I modify the tractor and get some work done!

Last edited:
   / My 2025R Thread #2  
First off I can’t see your picture. Second, I’ve been a happy 2025r owner for about 4 1/2 years and have about 400 hours on mine.

Do you have ballast? Do you have fluid in your tires? You can use your box blade as counterweight but that probably not enough unless your carrying light loads. The backhoe is obviously enough counterweight. In your case weight is a double edged sword, it helps with traction and stability with the end loader but will make it sink more in soft ground.

Get good at taking the backhoe, end loader and mower deck off and on. I don’t have a backhoe but I always take the end loader and any rear implements off when mowing.

When removing and installing the mower deck make sure your pto is set to rear only. It lets the pto hook up go easier. There are a lot of people, myself included that have bent the front drag link on the mower deck. The loader stand is very close to it and can hook it and bend it back. I ALWAYS take my loader off when taking the mower deck off and on.

Last but not least, enjoy it. It’s a great toy tool. A recent picture of mine.
IMG_2624.jpeg

/ My 2025R Thread
Well you beat me to it, one of the things I was going to write up was how I broke my mower deck attaching it the first time!

I had a very difficult time removing the deck. The right side released OK, but I could not for the life of me get the left side off. I ended up having to use a 2x4 for leverage under the deck, and a crowbar to force the locking pin far enough away from the bar it locks into to flip it up.

When I attached the deck next, I'm not sure exactly what got hung up where but I was having trouble getting the deck to attach. Lots of forwards and backwards and repositioning. Well, one time while backing off the deck, I hear a "pop". Expensive mistake.

I later came across Adjusting The Auto Connect Deck Deere 1025R/1023E and leaned that the front adjustment was too tight. There's supposed to be 2-3mm of play and I had zero! It was tight up against the end of the link. After adjusting the deck properly, it's now very easy to put on and off. I question what the "setup fee" was for from the dealer...

IMG_20230630_133920.jpg
IMG_20230630_133928.jpg

IMG_20230630_133937.jpg

IMG_20230630_134046.jpg

/ My 2025R Thread #4  
Sorry in advance for the bad humor, but the dealer set you up (IMPO).

FWIW, I don't think my Kubota dealer checked the fluid level in the front axle because I had to add quite a bit to get it where the manual said it is supposed to be.

/ My 2025R Thread
I do not have any ballast in addition to the weight of the backhoe (or box blade, which is about 350 lbs). For the type of work I'm using the FEL for, I have maxed the capacity of the loader and not felt a need for additional ballast. I might consider weights for the box blade to get some more weight for digging, but I doubt it would end up weighing more than the backhoe.

Removing all the implements is very very easy, I can't believe how quickly I can go from mowing to working:

1. Remove the mower deck
2. Attach the FEL
3. Remove the bucket
4. Hook the mower to the loader with the "load and go" system (which is GREAT)
5. Drop the deck off in storage
6. Reattach the bucket
7. Attach the backhoe

I can do all of the above steps in under 10 minutes. If I did it more often, I could probably get it down to 5 minutes, it's that easy.

I have much more trouble getting the box blade hooked into the 3-point hitch. It's very challenging to wiggle that around and get all three points attached. I usually end up loosening the turnbuckles all the way to give more room, but then I spend even more time readjusting the blade. I am considering a quick connect, but man it's pricey. I have another implement in mind that will require it, so I might take advantage of a 10% deal Deere has and just be done with it. I know there are cheaper options, but I want a USA made unit.

/ My 2025R Thread #6  
I can see your first picture now. You’re a little younger than I expected. ;) I’ll share a picture of my bent bracket, I’ve done it more than once. I actually tied surveyors ribbon around those two pins you pull out to make sure the loader is off when I remove the deck. It definitely is hooking the loader stand. I’d ask for free parts to fix it. Did they warn you? Believe it or not you can still install the mower deck the way it is bent.

Another issue I’ve had is forgetting to lower the rollbar. I’ve hit the area above my garage door more than once. I drag some 5 gallon buckets on front of the door way now to remind to lower the rops.

Another warning. The rops has three position, up, halfway down, and all the way down. If it’s all the way down it’s hanging straight down and if you have an implement on the three point and raise it up all the way you can bend the top link.
IMG_0796.jpeg

/ My 2025R Thread #7  
Get yourself a long pry bar like a rock bar to move the implement around when connecting to your 3pt. It also helps to change implements on a level surface.

/ My 2025R Thread
Initial Equipment

I had some money saved for implements and upgrades and so put it to use right from the start. Since I plan to have this tractor for many years, it makes sense to get as much as I will use as early as possible, to get the most benefit from it right from the start. Here's what I got and why.

• Loader and backhoe

This was the main reason for the purchase. I get a lot done with my two wheel tractor, but digging is not something it's good at. I converted an old trailer to hook up to it and it's great for moving hay from the barn out to the pasture and other yard stuff, but digging dirt and rocks to put on it and move it around sucks (and is very time consuming, which I value more as I get older and have kids). So the loader was a no-brainer, but the backhoe was a bit more of a decision given the price. But, I had a few projects in mind to put it to use, and everyone I've talked to or read says that if you can afford it, it's worth it to be able to do projects on your own time vs renting. With 0% financing, I decided to go for it.

• Hydraulic thumb

I knew if I ever ended up getting a backhoe, it would need a thumb. I actually had to pressure the dealer on this, they did not do a good job upselling. I said I wanted a thumb and they put the mechanical thumb on the order. I thought that was the only option for these smaller units, and the idea of climbing on and off to adjust it just wasn't that appealing. Fortunately I stumbled across the hydraulic option and immediately had them change the order. I don't know why they didn't try to sell me what I wanted in the first place! (more on the dealer later...)

• Box Blade

I have a lot of landscaping that I need to do, leveling, etc. that this seemed ideal. Lots of people love them and find them to be more useful than expected. I got the BB2048 (non-L version) and I've come to realize was a mistake. Not terrible, but I would trade it for BB2048L, BB5048L, or perhaps the BB5060L. I didn't know enough about the options available and the dealer didn't really tell me much, I said I wanted a box blade and that's what I got. The only reason I don't like it is that it's too tall/doesn't lift high enough for the limited lift height of the 2025R. For flat ground it's not a problem, but once you get into even a small hill it's easy to get it hitting the ground when you don't want it to be. I also frequently have to lift the box and reverse to get the materials to come out in one spot - it doesn't lift high enough to dump the contents in one spot. I imagine this is even worse for the 1025R.

• Hydraulic top and tilt kit

I've watched enough videos of using the box blade to know that this is almost essential to get the most out of it. Similar to the mechanical thumb, constantly getting on and off to make adjustments is not appealing. I have enough landscaping work to do with it that this will be worthwhile, as well as extend the functionality of the tractor for the future. Placed an order with FitRite Hydraulics and am still waiting for these to arrive. Will be a nice winter project. I will almost certainly be ordering the four spool (3 rear, 1 mid) kit from Summit Hydraulics.

• Upgraded hydraulic flow

I wanted the HydrosPlus Stage 3 kit even before I ordered the tractor. Seeing the increased functionality was impressive, and the idea of being able to have more flow at idle than stock WOT was very appealing. I knew I would end up getting this, so I figured it'd be best to have it right from the start. I had the kit at my door before the tractor was delivered and I installed this with 0.2 hours on the clock!

• Load and go

The 60" deck weighs a lot. Being able to pick it up and easily move it or maintain it was a no brainer. It's a great feature.

And that's everything I got from day one! More stuff to come later!

/ My 2025R Thread #9  
You might take a look at Pats Easy Change. They are hooks that attach to the end of your 3 point arms. It makes hooking up the 3 point easier. They cost a lot less than a JD quick hitch. There are also off brand name quick hitch’s.

IMG_2635.jpeg

/ My 2025R Thread #10  
I’m surprised about your box blade. I have a brush hog that the 3 point doesn’t lift it as high as I want and I have a rear blade that the lift is barely adequate. I just got a box blade used a few months ago, an off brand one, and my lift is plenty high.