My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #11  

Also, the lean-to just needs five 6x6x12, seventeen 2x6x12, twelve 2x6x10, eight 2x8x10, and thirteen twelve foot sheets of metal. Its not that much total. Just sneak it by your wife board by board. Doesn't look as suspicious as an entire truck of lumber.:laughing:

Good Mornin Tyler,
Yep, I hadnt thought about it in that light ! ;) I could sneak small loads home in the back of the PU ! :)

Thanks for the tip ! :thumbsup:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/168736-my-barn-finally-new-post.html

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread
These are some picture of the post holes that I drilled. The blueprint call for 18" diameter holes between 24 to 30" in depth. I've hand dug plenty of post holes before, especially since I did all the fence posts for our 9 acres. I've used the rented augers before but never had access to a tractor w/3-pt power before. This time I borrowed a friends auger and used my JD 3203 to punch the initial holes (9" auger so I still had to hand dig a bunch of dirt). I still swear by the ergonomical post-hole digger by Rigid; it rocks!

You can see the 12" stepping stones that I'm gonna use in the bottom of the hole. Learned that trick on TBN!!!

You can also see the foot-bridge that my father-in-law and I built last fall. Its 6' by 22' and uses 2 power poles anchored in each bank to support the weight. It holds enough to support my Polaris 600 Sportsman without any problem. Anyways, this bridge is the walk-bridge we will use to access the barn by foot. I'm planning to stub power out of the meter at the house and then run it across the front yard, along side the bridge, then to the barn. That is after I get my certificate of occupancy from the city, otherwise thats another permit!

PS--I have another footbridge that I built further up another creek. My wife calls it the scary bridge b/c its only 2' by 30'. I'm planning to add a 3rd power pole to it and redo it so it will hold my tractor. Stay tuned for that one also!!!

Attachments

• 7-29-10 #1.jpg
    7-29-10 #1.jpg
    1,005.7 KB · Views: 436
  • 7-29-10 #4.jpg
    7-29-10 #4.jpg
    722.7 KB · Views: 449
  • 7-29-10 #8.jpg
    7-29-10 #8.jpg
    857.8 KB · Views: 538
  • IMG_0980.jpg
    IMG_0980.jpg
    847.8 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_2130.jpg
    IMG_2130.jpg
    817.3 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_2132.jpg
    IMG_2132.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 723
I've been off work on a paid LOA for 2 weeks, because my wife delivered our second child on July 24th (a baby girl this time). I've been taking the boy off her hands for 2 weeks trying to give her time to adjust and learn to balance a newborn again. Our son will be 3 y.o. in 2 weeks, so he is full of energy and eager to help me outside with the barn. You can see him in the pic behind the delivery truck and of course he never goes outside without his yellow Tonka dump truck!

Since I've got some down-time, I figured I could at least get the materials delivered and arranged so I scheduled them for a bright and early morning delivery. I had the supplier bring out the lumber, trusses, and hardware first. Because I requested to use 26GA for the metal roof, they are having to order it, whereas the 29GA sides and trim metal they have in stock. Also, they said they were willing to hold the metal for me until we get the frame together. We agreed to each take a delivery charge so I only have to pay once. This load had 30 bags of concrete with it, so we had to manhandle those into the garage to keep them out of any moisture. Definitely got my work out with that (and my money's worth since the delivery guy unloaded half). :D

Before it was dumped, I did a quick inventory to make sure all was there. Everything was unloaded within 15 feet of the build site so no big problems with having to move material. I had to move the trusses since they were on top and I didn't need them yet. They are large but I was still able to move them by hand; one at a time of course! I separated the 2x4's from the 2x6's, started marking my poles for depth, drilled some holes for the anchor bolts at the bottom, and called it a day by noon.

Our temps are hitting 104 degrees in the afternoon, so mornings are the only tolerable times to be outdoors. The best part about having the barn in this location is the trees block direct morning sun and evening sun. The site doesn't get direct sunlight until about 11:30am to 4:30pm. But they do block any sort of breeze that we have, which makes it kinda sticky when it heats up.

Here are the pics I took of the delivery. I never really noticed how much a truck-load of lumber and trusses will get your pulse a racin'. :confused2:

Attachments

• 8-2-10 #4.jpg
    8-2-10 #4.jpg
    691.3 KB · Views: 345
  • 8-2-10 #3.jpg
    8-2-10 #3.jpg
    781 KB · Views: 352
  • 8-2-10 #2.jpg
    8-2-10 #2.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 363
  • 8-2-10 #1.jpg
    8-2-10 #1.jpg
    592.2 KB · Views: 333
  • 8-2-10 #5.jpg
    8-2-10 #5.jpg
    858.5 KB · Views: 274
  • 8-2-10 #6.jpg
    8-2-10 #6.jpg
    930.2 KB · Views: 313
  • 8-2-10 #7.jpg
    8-2-10 #7.jpg
    976.9 KB · Views: 448
   / My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #14  
stack the trusses perfectly level if they are on their sides. They had them banded, so they were ok as dumped, but once you break the band, they will tend to bend if not level.

And a skid steer with an 18" auger is really fast for drilling those holes, but looks like you got them done.

Thanks for the info. I clipped the bands and now have them resting flat on the ground stacked on top of each other. Hopefully if we get a chance to get going on the construction we can get them up in a reasonable amount of time. I've purchased lumber from these guys before and I gotten alot of wet, green lumber, which makes for a wavy fence-line along our bar ditch once it dries out. With our heat lately, it looks like everything is dried and hopefully not going to twist or bend too much!

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #16  
i think i would try to get those trusses up off the ground and cover them if i were you. not sure how it is OK, but here in GA any untreated wood on the ground for a week or more will usually pick up a few termites.

besides, if you happen to get a good rain, you don't want the bottom couple of trusses sitting in mud.

-matt

Well, despite the recent 100+ degree days, I've managed to get the poles into their respective holes. I've got the 4 corner posts plummed and secured. Everything measures out correct according to the blue prints. When I did an internal diagonal measurement to check it for square, I'm 1 inch off. Is this enough worry about?? I'm thinking that with proper measurements on the girts, that I might be able to tweak those posts enough.

A buddy came by this afternoon to help for a few hours. He doesn't have much construction experience but a helpful hand is always appreciated. Despite it being his birthday, he still came out to help in this heat. I couldn't thank him enough, so I sent him home with some freshly grown tomatoes, yellow squash, and half a watermelon. The first half was eaten this afternoon! :thumbsup:

My father is coming tomorrow morning and we're going to try to get some of the poles anchored with concrete. I've got 50 bags of sack 'crete sitting in my garage and I'm anxious to get them out. Hopefully we'll be able to get the sidewall posts lined up and anchored also. Here are some pics as it stands tonight. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 8-5-10 #4.jpg
    8-5-10 #4.jpg
    530.4 KB · Views: 652
  • 8-5-10 #2.jpg
    8-5-10 #2.jpg
    733 KB · Views: 353
  • 8-5-10 #3.jpg
    8-5-10 #3.jpg
    519 KB · Views: 438
  • 8-5-10 #5.jpg
    8-5-10 #5.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 380
   / My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #18  
I love seeing pics of progress on all these projects, but the best part of these progress pics is the Tonka Truck and bike in the photos. I know I love when my kids help me. Being a parent is the best thing I've ever done.:)

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #19  
You say you drilled the posts for anchor bolts. On the bottom? Or across the bottom to go into the concrete to help the post not slip out in a tornado?

You say you drilled the posts for anchor bolts. On the bottom? Or across the bottom to go into the concrete to help the post not slip out in a tornado?

The kit came with 12" pieces of 1/2" rebar and a spade bite. I just cross drilled the post, east/west & north/south and hammered the rebar through it. It just gives the concrete something to grab onto. After I put them into the holes, I had to adjust the posts for spacing. I would ease them into place with a 20lb sledge hammer I call "the persuader". Check out my pictures and you'll see that puppy!