My B-day Venture

/ My B-day Venture #1  

lost in wisconsin

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520 (2011)
Wasn't sure where I should post this thread but since I had a few pics, figured "Photos" was as good as any. This was our recent experience with an unwelcomed hitchhiker...

My wife and I work for the same company and sometimes commute with each other when our schedules allow. On this particular day (my birthday) when the work day was finished, I went to pick up my lovely bride for our journey homeward. As normal, she sat shotgun, kicked off her shoes and relaxed for the ride home (about 30 mins). As we were driving down the highway, she seemed to fidget somewhat in her seat from what I thought was just her purse handles falling against her feet. On second glance, we noted the movement of a elongate reptile otherwise known as a snake moving across the tops of her feet and ankles and then up behind the dash of our jeep. At such time, my spouse undid the seatbelt and jumped onto the console and my seat in a manner that would make a veteran tire changer for a Nascar racing team proud. We decided to pull over on a side road to investigate but had no luck locating the serpent. I then chauffeured my spouse the rest of the way home as she chose to ride in the back seat. With assistance from our boys when we arrived home, we had no further luck in finding the unwanted passenger.

We recruited the advice of friends and relatives regarding our "options". After much discussion of these options which ranged from selling the vehicle, running a hose from the exhaust to the interior as the vehicle ran or leaving a dog and cat to spend time in there we decided to run to the local Home Depot the next morning and pick up a pack of rat traps that utilize a very sticky substance on the surface of a plastic plank which once attached, the animal becomes "stuck". We placed these in the vehicle prior to our long weekend figuring 3-4 days should be enough time for the creature to be captured assuming he was still in there and he decided to explore our vehicle further. I am happy to report that within 20-30 minutes from placement of the traps, our visitor was "captured". And after many 'oohs' and 'aahs' from the boys, we proceeded to pour vegetable oil over the snake and trap to remove him without harm. At which point he was placed into a ventilated and well secured container for transportation to a point about 3 miles from our house where he was let go.

All and all it was a good experience for our family and no harm came to us or the snake.

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    430.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0344.jpg
    IMG_0344.jpg
    495.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0345.jpg
    IMG_0345.jpg
    662.5 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_0346.jpg
    IMG_0346.jpg
    627.9 KB · Views: 155
   / My B-day Venture #2  
Don't tell your wife that snakes normally come in 2s.:eek: Nice job on the catch and release.:thumbsup: