My back deck building story video

/ My back deck building story video #1  

tractorgp

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
Just posted this video on Youtube. Made up over some time and wish I had a few more pictures to get the "alignment frame" idea across but wasn't thinking video at the time. I will post a video on the Front deck building story separately.

/ My back deck building story video #2  
Another nice job Bob . Lots of room to run around .

/ My back deck building story video
Another nice job Bob . Lots of room to run around .

Thanks seal oil... yeah not sure what I would do or where I would try to go if I didn't have some space :)

/ My back deck building story video #4  
Interesting approach with that alignment frame (very much like making a template for kitchen counters from plywood).

Around here, a trick I learned was to dig the post holes, and build the entire deck with the frame temporarily supported in the air. Posts are just dangling down into the empty holes. Once the frame is done and squared up, you then pour the concrete around the posts in the post holes. So in effect, the entire frame acts as your template for the post holes. I have done about 5-6 decks/porches this way, and like it a lot. In some cases (especially smaller porches) I will prefab the frame ahead of time, drag it into position, then dig holes, attach posts, and pour footings. Every one is a little bit different.

Interesting approach with that alignment frame (very much like making a template for kitchen counters from plywood).

Around here, a trick I learned was to dig the post holes, and build the entire deck with the frame temporarily supported in the air. Posts are just dangling down into the empty holes. Once the frame is done and squared up, you then pour the concrete around the posts in the post holes. So in effect, the entire frame acts as your template for the post holes. I have done about 5-6 decks/porches this way, and like it a lot. In some cases (especially smaller porches) I will prefab the frame ahead of time, drag it into position, then dig holes, attach posts, and pour footings. Every one is a little bit different.

Looks like an interesting approach and it obviously works. On a lesser scale when I dug holes (with my Bx) for my fence posts I strung a string from the corner post to the existing installed post and then hung weighted strings where the new posts go. Then I just dug under the weights for each post. Worked pretty good.

/ My back deck building story video #6  
Looks like an interesting approach and it obviously works. On a lesser scale when I dug holes (with my Bx) for my fence posts I strung a string from the corner post to the existing installed post and then hung weighted strings where the new posts go. Then I just dug under the weights for each post. Worked pretty good.

That is a great trick too -- saw that used nearby when they were building a foot bridge on a nature trail, and then the Amish crew that built my pole barn did the same to layout the post holes.

/ My back deck building story video #7  
Nice work.
I'm a carpenter but would not own a wood deck because of the required maintenance.
So I took a different approach.
The handrail is made from the final drive chain from an old dragline.
Does not need spindles because it's less than 30" off the ground.
No, I wont paint it. Ever.

100_07581.jpg

100_05921.jpg

100_07591.jpg

Attachments

• 100_07591.jpg
    100_07591.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 50
Nice work.
I'm a carpenter but would not own a wood deck because of the required maintenance.
So I took a different approach.
The handrail is made from the final drive chain from an old dragline.
Does not need spindles because it's less than 30" off the ground.
No, I wont paint it. Ever.

100_07581.jpg

100_05921.jpg

100_07591.jpg

Great to see creative work! Rot is a major problem here in our climate. I used pressure treated wood for all the critical areas and of course the plastic deck should last longer than me :)

/ My back deck building story video #9  
Very nice photo series. I'm sure you will get years of use and enjoyment from your deck.