My Branson won't start!!!!

/ My Branson won't start!!!! #1  

fatherof6

My Branson won\'t start!!!!

I have a 2000 Branson F4350 (similar to the 20 series with a different motor). Used it two days ago, parked it. Got on yesterday and it wouldn’t turn over. After the glow plug solenoid sound, there is no noise at all when I try to start it. Shuttle shift in neutral, gear shift in neutral, PTO selector in the center of the two speeds, battery reading 12 volts, glow plug cycles (I can hear the solenoid), clutch depressed all the way down and I cleaned the battery terminals and cable ends. I even tried jumping it with my F250.

I bought this unit a couple of months ago, put 15 hours on it with no problems till now. While I had the key in the start position, I cycled the shuttle shift lever, the gear shift lever and the PTO lever just to see if I had a safety switch not disengaging.

HELP, I don’t know what to try first, second, etc.
Thanks for the help

/ My Branson won't start!!!! #2  
Re: My Branson won\'t start!!!!

Ceck fuses and make sure the battery ground to frame has good contact.

Egon

/ My Branson won't start!!!! #3  

First I would check all battery connections for tightness and clean. Then I would turn the key on, MAKE SURE IT IS IN NEUTRAL, and jump directly to the starter terminal. If it still dosen't turn over tap on the starter with a hammer, brushes might be stuck. This will tell if it is starter or wiring/solenoid.

/ My Branson won't start!!!!

Here is the next installment. Checked all grounds and cleaned and retightened. Jumped the starter, the engine turns over just fine but no start. This baby starts with almost no cranking so I suspect that whatever is not allowing the starter to turn with the key is also connected to the fuel shutoff solenoid (or something else I haven't discovered yet). Looks like I need to solve the no-start with the key issue. There are three safety switches; shuttle shift, pto and clutch. Each is pretty tough to get to but the shuttle shift is really hard. The multi-function headlight and turn signal switch is bad and I have a new one to install so I will tear the panel apart to get to the shuttle shift switch and also replace the headlight switch. Won't get to it for a while, though, we are heading on a two week trip this Friday.

/ My Branson won't start!!!! #5  

Don't overlook the Ignition Swich itself as a possible problem. I had a 4020 here a few months ago that would not start. One of the PTO safety switches was bad, so I replaced them both. It started fine the. A week later, same problem! So I went out the field and changed the ignition switch and got a final fix on the problem. Even if you are hearing the fuel pump run, and it acts like the switch is OK, you may still have a problem there.

Just a thought from a fellow who has been through it....

/ My Branson won't start!!!! #6  

Just for fun, push on the clutch safety by hand while starting..

next jump the terminals of each safety till it starts..

Standing by..

/ My Branson won't start!!!! #7  

Oh yeah...when all else fails put 12 volts to the fuel shut off solenoid..let her rip! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ My Branson won't start!!!!

Solved the problem. One of the micro-switches for the shuttle shift was the problem. This particular switch has a thin spring-steel arm with a roller at the end. The roller rides on a cam on the shuttle shift lever such that when the shuttle shift is in the forward position, the switch is disabled and when the lever is in the neutral position, the switch is engaged and passes the 12 volts. The spring steel arm had jumped past the cam on the shift lever and was not able to engage the switch when the shift lever was in neutral. Put the switch arm back in place and she started right up! Boy, what a relief. This is my first real piece of equipment and I spent my two weeks of vacation worrying about it. First night back and she is back to life. Thanks for all the inputs and suggestions.

/ My Branson won't start!!!! #9  

Solved the problem. One of the micro-switches for the shuttle shift was the problem. This particular switch has a thin spring-steel arm with a roller at the end. The roller rides on a cam on the shuttle shift lever such that when the shuttle shift is in the forward position, the switch is disabled and when the lever is in the neutral position, the switch is engaged and passes the 12 volts. The spring steel arm had jumped past the cam on the shift lever and was not able to engage the switch when the shift lever was in neutral. Put the switch arm back in place and she started right up! Boy, what a relief. This is my first real piece of equipment and I spent my two weeks of vacation worrying about it. First night back and she is back to life. Thanks for all the inputs and suggestions.
Where is the micro switch you’re talking about? I have a 2400H and this afternoon it wouldn’t star; no clicks, no sounds. The glow plug indicator light works as usual but nothing happens when I turn the key after the light goes out. Fully charged battery, good fuses.

/ My Branson won't start!!!! #10  
Where is the micro switch you’re talking about? I have a 2400H and this afternoon it wouldn’t star; no clicks, no sounds. The glow plug indicator light works as usual but nothing happens when I turn the key after the light goes out. Fully charged battery, good fuses.
this sounds like your tripping a safety switch, most common on that model is the hst pedals not properly returning to the neutral position or the pto lever is engaged (even if it look like it isn't move it into gear then back out)