My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics)

/ My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics)
Here is an update. I have put about 16" above the culvert as suggested. Rip rap is on the way. I will crown the road and ditch the edges last, before I gravel it. This will be an access road for trucks and deliveries while we build our dream home on the lot. I will take pics of the build as we progress.

What gravel do you recommend for the road?

photo-17.jpg

photo-20.jpg

photo-19.jpg

photo-22.jpg

Last edited:
I'm gonna take that dump truck across it tomorrow, do you think I have enough dirt over top of the pipe?

/ My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics) #13  
Its tough to tell by the pictures, but a little more wouldn't hurt. I'm not sure how strong that pipe will be with a big heavy truck going over it. Like other have said, water can run down the middle of the road and wash ruts in it. Looking at the photos, it doesn't look like that will be a huge problem. For a home built road done with a small tractor, it looks pretty darn good to me.

/ My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics) #14  
To me that also looks good! We build roads on occasion (1-5 mile) and some codes call for processed road gravel. And other few have we have used crushed asphalt. DO NOT USE CRUSHED CONCRETE!!!! It get so dusty it's horrible and never binds well. Crushed Asphalt is probably the best way to go, it holds up to our tandem and quad axle dump trucks well even 40ton lowboys.

/ My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics) #15  
Look into geotek fabric. I think its well worth the money. It also saves on gravel for years to come.

/ My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics) #16  
Look into geotek fabric. Its not cheap but will save you money in reduced amounts of gravel now and in the years to come.

Rip rap is complete. I have about 10 tons left over. Slight miscalculation. :D

photo-24.jpg

photo-23.jpg

/ My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics) #18  
new drive.jpgMy suggestion is go wider at top of hill,take those hills out further so you can kick the water off the road and have room to work with tractor at later date if your ditches need fixed.

/ My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics) #19  
I would put the rip rap a little thicker along the sides. My son helped a friend of his on a job and they laid a lot of it by hand to get good coverage and packed it in.

If you have hills, you will find you really can't have too much rip rap or other rock, I keep some stored and wish I had more. I have 1", 2" and 6" minus in three separate piles.

You sure have moved a lot of stuff with a relatively small tractor, you are to be commended.:thumbsup:

/ My Bridge/ Culvert Project. (Pics) #20  
I'm gonna take that dump truck across it tomorrow, do you think I have enough dirt over top of the pipe?

Just hit the gas and don't slow down until you're at the top of the hill lol!!!! That way, the culvert won't have time to cave in, and you are assured of making it to the top without spinning the tires!!!:laughing: Really, you won't know until you try it and see.