My BX-22 has a flat tire

/ My BX-22 has a flat tire #1  

Mike_C

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-22
I suppose it had to happen eventually; I have a flat tire. There's a nice big roofing nail right through the bar on a front tire. Not sure how it got there. Anyway, I've seen lots of talk on this forum about foam filling tires, etc; but I need a quick fix to get my baby on the road again (Listen it's Willie Nelson: on the road again, just can't wait to get on..) I've got tire irons and a patch kit, so I think I'm going to take the tire off, apply a traditional tire patch, then squeeze in at least 8 ounces of "green slime". Does anyone have a better idea that does not require a trip to a dealer?

/ My BX-22 has a flat tire #2  
I got a flat on my BX the very first day (piece of wire). I put slime in the tires and haven't had a flat in over a year and a half.

/ My BX-22 has a flat tire #3  
Use a regular old Tire plug. Like you would for a car tire. They work great

/ My BX-22 has a flat tire #4  
Buy some of that stuff at the tractor store near you.... I had a sloooooooooow leak. I appiled the suff with a caulking gun and it's been two years and not a bit of air added.

/ My BX-22 has a flat tire #5  
I think each one of my tires has 3 or 4 plugs in them. They are easy to do and don't take long to put in. I don't even have to take the tire off. You can pick them up at any aoto parts store.

/ My BX-22 has a flat tire #6  
I'd forget about the patch and just use the tire slime. I've had three of my four tires go flat from running over junk that the previous homeowner left around the yard. Buried 2x4's with nails, just the nails without the 2x4's, screws, bouginvilla plants, etc. Tire slime stopped the leaks on all three, no problems at all. I am still pulling items out of the tires at least once a month, and have had no leaks since sliming the tires. I slimed the fourth tire as a pre-emptive strike, and have never had it go flat, although I have pulled nails out of it.

Make sure to read the directions on the slime bottle, because they have a chart for recommended amounts based on tire size and vehicle speed.

/ My BX-22 has a flat tire #7  
I have seen the best deal on the slime at TSC, $20 a gallon, sure beats $8 for a little bottle at the hardware store or local mower shop.
Does anyone know if it tends to clog the air pressure gauge? I have a nice $20 gauge that I don't want to experiment with, and I don't trust the cheapies for accuracy.

/ My BX-22 has a flat tire #8  
I suspect the slime would clog up the gauge. If I press in the valve stem on my tires I normally get a little green spurt out. I decided not to try my 0-60 psi pressure guage, which was about the same price as yours, which I bought specifically to set air pressure in the front tires of my old drag car. I went out and got a cheapy gauge without the rubber hose.

/ My BX-22 has a flat tire
I never liked the idea of plugs, because the pressure works against them. With a patch, the pressure helps push the patch into the hole. Yesterday I took the wheel off, broke the bead, and used tire irons to take off just the outside of the tire, leaving the rim in the tire but it gave me enough room to work. I then put a wire brush in my air-drill, and ground the inside of the tire smooth around the hole, then applied a patch. After the patch set up I put the tire back on, but before blowing it up to reseat the bead, I put in 16 ounces of green slime. All is well again with the kubota!

/ My BX-22 has a flat tire #10  
My son (really!) drove over a 10b nail last week with the front tire of my BX2200. I've plugged each tire a couple times already so I decided to try the Slime. Friday I put in the Slime, both tires inflated nicely and worked perfectly all weekend. Still keeping the plugs around just in case I puncture a filled rear tire. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif