My Container Barn

/ My Container Barn #161  
With Fractal's mention of the smaller sizes, I'm thinking a storm cellar. Dug into the ground, maybe even partially...

Has anyone done this?

Let's bump this thread to the top one more time! :D As a new member to this forum, there are lots of threads I haven't read until lately.

I worked in Afghanistan for three years as a police advisor, about the time this thread started. I was at a regional training center (aka police academy), supervising and assisting in the training of the Afghan National Police and we had a number of vehicles. The State Department built a similar garage, using a couple of Conex boxes, set on a concrete slab, and covered with a truss roof. It was open on one end.

Later, judges and lawyers from the States were sent in-country and housing was provided by stacking containers two high, covered with a truss roof with stairs under the roof. The containers were divided in half, to make two apartments in each.

I quoted JazzDad in the beginning because we had a buried container, covered with sandbags, as a bomb shelter. On occasion, the Taliban would mortar us and the other installations nearby. Of course, having one end open meant that critters could enter. One day, two cobras were spotted inside our compound. The security officers shot one, but the other one was last spotted slithering off towards the bomb shelter. We had a drill not long after the snake was seen, and as the supervisor in charge of the personnel assigned to that shelter, guess who got to go in first, flashlight in one hand and my Beretta 9mm in the other. Luckily, no cobra was seen that day.

/ My Container Barn
Guess we're lucky that there are no Cobra's here in East Texas. I saw them in Cameroun and India, but never here. I think we have enough snakes species already, but since getting barn cats, and letting them multiply, the snake populations has decreased dramatically. I only killed two snakes last year. The year before the cats, I killed 24 and my wife killed 12

/ My Container Barn #165  
I still have this somewhere...

IMG_3365.jpeg