My dad plowing in South Carolina - Circa 1950

/ My dad plowing in South Carolina - Circa 1950 #1  

torchrider

Tractor
None
I am new to the forum and just wanted to share a photo of my dad plowing his farm in Pamplico, South Carolina around 1950. I think the tractor is a 40's vintage Case but you may know better. We sold the farm after he died in 1977 and I am just now buying another piece of property in Texas to teach my boys about farming, self-sufficiency and outdoor living. Heck, I will be teaching myself as well. :laughing: Thanks for letting me share.

6130926767_fbe0c096ef_b.jpg

/ My dad plowing in South Carolina - Circa 1950 #2  
That's really neat!

/ My dad plowing in South Carolina - Circa 1950 #3  
Thanks for posting.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like he is tilling under cotton stalks. Did he grow cotton?

Steve

Last edited:
   / My dad plowing in South Carolina - Circa 1950
Thanks for posting.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like he is tilling under cotton stalks. Did he grow cotton?

Steve

From what I can remember, they used to grow Cotton, Soy Beans and Tobacco. I remember seeing the tobacco hanging in the tobacco barn drying and going to the auctions in the 60's. A wonderful smell I will never forget, and I don't smoke.

/ My dad plowing in South Carolina - Circa 1950 #6  
Great photo
Welcome to TBN

/ My dad plowing in South Carolina - Circa 1950 #7  
From what I can remember, they used to grow Cotton, Soy Beans and Tobacco. I remember seeing the tobacco hanging in the tobacco barn drying and going to the auctions in the 60's. A wonderful smell I will never forget, and I don't smoke.

Times have changed.

I expect that your Dad's cotton was still being picked by hand at that time -- it's all machine harvested today.

The tobacco barns of your Dad's day have been replaced by metal bulk-curing barns.

Most tobacco is now grown under contract -- a few auctions have managed to survive, but they are few and far between.

Steve

/ My dad plowing in South Carolina - Circa 1950
Times have changed.

I expect that your Dad's cotton was still being picked by hand at that time -- it's all machine harvested today.

The tobacco barns of your Dad's day have been replaced by metal bulk-curing barns.

Most tobacco is now grown under contract -- a few auctions have managed to survive, but they are few and far between.

Steve

Thanks Steve. I guess they call that progress, huh?
I can remember my Grandmothers smoke house full of hams. Now that was a smell to behold.
Too bad so many of the old ways are dying off. I suspect folks trying to return to the land like me, will bring back some of the old practices.