My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there?

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #11  
Thanks for all your input. While browsing through the link that Moss gave, I came across another hearing protection ear muffs that is rated NRR 30. I may give that a try too along with the plugs. Mine is rated at 26 but it sure would be nice to cut that in half.

Eventually I would still prefer to have a quieter tractor. I feel that when I wear the ear muffs, something could be happening around me and I would not be aware of it. My wife may resort to using the pellet gun on me just to call me in for dinner :(

I'd swap out that pellet gun for a paint ball gun. Could be fun if you come around the garage and your wife ambushes you from behind the trash cans with some pink paintball splotches! :m1helmet:

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #12  
image-3773255964.jpg

Best cheap ear plugs I personally have ever used. Less than two bucks at Wallyworld.

I could never get the foam ones to stay in my ear...these are AWESOME!

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #13  
I'd swap out that pellet gun for a paint ball gun. Could be fun if you come around the garage and your wife ambushes you from behind the trash cans with some pink paintball splotches! :m1helmet:
My Nephew made a muffler for my 422 and the result were dramatic. Still a lot of mechanical noise and hearing protection a must, but my Wife doesn't need to throw rocks and sticks at me anymore:):thumbsup:

He happened to be at my house when i started up the PT and was dumb founded about how load it was. He asked me if i would mind if he modded up a muffler for it. So i took off the exhaust manifold and he came back the next day with a whole new exhaust system. Made from scrap stainless milk line and a used fire extinguisher. He had asked me what the displacement of the engine was to help him come up with a design. I think he's a flipping genius.:) When i first started off, i thought i was dragging the bucket on the gravel but it was just the sound of me driving over it and i could hear it over the noise.

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #14  
First, yes, the Deutz's are loud. Believe it or not, the upgrade to the FL2011 engines was to reduce noise to meet European regulations.
Second, on the Deutz's, unlike the 4XX series, a lot of the noise is from the engine, so a custom muffler won't get you much. (Although if I were close to Cqaigy2's nephew, I'd be on his doorstep begging him to wave a magic wand. He sounds brilliant. If you want to send him down here for a few months, I've got a list a mile long. :) )

I have used a couple of different models of ear muffs; I prefer the Peltor and the Howard Leights, both at a NRR of 30. After driving over a pair because the dark color of the muffs blended in with the tire, I now use the high visibility ones. I don't do the ear plug plus muff, because my hands aren't usually clean enough to be pulling them on and off, and I seem to need to pop off the hearing protectors to chat with others.

All the best,

Peter

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #15  
I have a friend who uses his Bose Noise Canceling on the tractor. $300. But they are comfortable, VERY comfortable. They are robust but I would not feel tractor robust. You might want to look into something like a STIHL hard hat with ear muffs. It is the band that is hurting you more than likely. Also there are some great shooting ear muffs, but again, $$$. But if it s a choice between a headache of hearing loss, I would spend the money as well.

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #16  
You guys should have told me that I needed ear protection as a kid running the Caterpillars with straight stacks back in the 50's, and dust protection and sun protection and eye protection......

/ My diesel is so loud! Any mods out there? #17  
You guys should have told me that I needed ear protection as a kid running the Caterpillars with straight stacks back in the 50's, and dust protection and sun protection and eye protection......

WHAT?

:laughing: