My first hole with the BX23

/ My first hole with the BX23 #1  

Allen2

Bronze Member
Tractor
2005 Kubota BX23 w/MMM, 1986 Simplicity Sunstar w/MMM & Blade
OK, so this isn't very exciting. It turned out to be so funny that I just had to write about it. I had the BX23 for about 2 weeks and had only used the FEL. I figured it was about time to test the backhoe to make sure it was working. I have 3 boys who were badgering me to start digging somewhere (what is it about boys and digging in the dirt, regardless of the implement involved?). So I backed it over to the edge of the gravel by my garage where I intend to put in a french drain someday, got the seat flipped around, got the stabilizers down, got the transport pins pulled out, now I was ready. The 3 boys were lined up about 10 feet away yelling instructions to me about how and where to dig. Now I hadn't tried to operate a backhoe since I was a kid on the farm many years ago, and that one had many more control handles than the two on the BX23. So I start to excercise the handles to see what moves where. The boys proceed to keep yelling at me to "move the bucket over here (pointing)! Make it come out farther! No, no, not that way, over this way! No Dad, you're not doing it right, move it out farther!" So as I continue to play with the 2 controls they continue to yell out instructions. I was laughing so hard I almost couldn't see! They continued to yell out their instructions and I continued to laugh. About every 10 seconds their yelling would be interrupted when the hoe would make a swing to the side toward them, to which they would briefly respond "Whoa, look out!" and jump back a couple of feet. In the end, I managed to dig a small hole, although in their opinion I did it all wrong! Number 1 son is in the pic pointing to our great achievement. You know, I expected to have some fun around the house with this machine, but I never expected all of us to get a laugh like this. Too bad Mom was not around that night to witness it for herself. She noticed the hole the next morning and asked "Why is there a hole in the driveway?". Of course we all started laughing again and I don't think she ever did get an answer. I did notice she doesn't come up the driveway quite as fast as she used to!
Allen

Attachments

• 629898-hoe.JPG
    629898-hoe.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 638
   / My first hole with the BX23 #2  
Nice story /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think backhoes are made to get some fun. Sometimes when I use mine, some of my neighbours get around the tractor to look (you know... hoooo! haaaa!). But they don't try to tell me what to do though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You're very patient, when I got my BX, the very very first thing I did was to go dig a 6 feet deep hole in the backyard... I remember, my wife asking me: what're you trying to do?? I told her: China babe... it's this way, let's find out! She tried the backhoe too and liked it very much. OK that's just 6 feet, but to be able to do it without sweating at all... god I like that.

Here's a beauty shot of my backhoe... and no, I don't sleep with my BX. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Have fun /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Attachments

• 629921-DSC02867 copy.jpg
    629921-DSC02867 copy.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 433
   / My first hole with the BX23
Stef,
It wasn't so much patience as lack of free time. I haven't tried the 6-foot deep hole yet, but that day is coming. I have an old septic tank that is about 5-feet deep that I want to collapse and backfill. Just had it pumped out last week, so the next time the spirit hits me, I'm digging. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif If nothing else it will be good practice. Interesting how a little digging brings out all the neighbors.
Good luck with your digging adventures.
Allen

/ My first hole with the BX23 #4  
Just like your boys, I was an expert at everything when I was younger. Since then I've only learned how much I don't know.
Funny story about your 1st BH adventure.
Over the weekend I dug a 40-50' ditch for a friend to help redirect a spring. Actually we had been working on another project and this was the old..."hey before you go, can you do me this favor." Anyway, it was a bit of a rush job. At least it was straight but the bottom was wavey gravey. The fellas who were there all agreed that once the ditch was fillled, the bottom would look just fine. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Aren't backseat operators wonderful!!!

/ My first hole with the BX23
Hey Edski, good to hear from you. You must have the new tractor by now. I was sure as soon as you got it the weather would turn to crap. You must know somebody - this is the best run of weather we have had in at least 3-4 years around here. You don't have to dig very deep to get into the muck, but the dry stuff on top is sure nice. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've decided to let the boys give the backhoe a try so they can appreciate it is not as easy as it looks. Who knows, if they are better at it than me, I will let them do the digging and watch from my lawnchair!
Allen

/ My first hole with the BX23 #6  
Allen,
Does Lawnchair time = Seat time ? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I picked up the 7610 a week ago Thurs. As you remember the weather guessers were calling for thunderstorms and a cold wet weekend. Well that storm must have blown north of me, and it's been sunny and 70 since. I've taken pix and will start a "It finally arrived" post sometime soon, but I've either been too busy at work or havin too much fun runnin up the hr meter (~20+). Maybe the next rainy day. While my back doesn't get sore from digging, I still fall asleep early after a long day (a lazyboy might still be my favorite seat time). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Stay tuned.