My first of many Retaining Walls to tame my slope - DIY

/ My first of many Retaining Walls to tame my slope - DIY #101  
Beautiful!

/ My first of many Retaining Walls to tame my slope - DIY #102  
Looks good!

/ My first of many Retaining Walls to tame my slope - DIY #103  
Dragoneggs:

By the way, very nice looking walls. So, do the fences actually keep out the deer or just the smaller critters?

I had friends (all passed on) that used to live very close to you. They have been gone for a lot of years now, but I will never forget the view from their living room. One of those places you just never want to leave.

/ My first of many Retaining Walls to tame my slope - DIY
Dragoneggs:

By the way, very nice looking walls. So, do the fences actually keep out the deer or just the smaller critters?

I had friends (all passed on) that used to live very close to you. They have been gone for a lot of years now, but I will never forget the view from their living room. One of those places you just never want to leave.
Oh yeah... they had better. 7.5ft high plastic mesh. Neighbor has had his up for about 10years now and the plastic is still holding up nicely. His only problem is that he has a fetish about burning weeds with propane and torch wand and has caught the bottom of the fencing and it melts quick! I laughed when he told me that he was just creating a doorway for the rabbits. :laughing:

I will never leave this place standing. Wife and I are sitting on our deck now with a glass of wine with shirt off (well me anyways) enjoying the great weather. About 80degF and simply a beautiful, peaceful evening. Garden is in!

IMG_1609.jpg

/ My first of many Retaining Walls to tame my slope - DIY #105  
There is something magical about Western Washington and the Sound...

Looks like the Olympics in the distance?

My place in Thurston County is on a small inlet and the view is always changing... tide coming in or going out.

Had an eagles nest in a fir right of the deck and from the upstairs could look right into the nest and see the little ones.

I don't have the views as my place is very wooded... feels like miles from civilization yet only about 10 minutes to the Capital... rural enough that there is no comcast, dsl or TV stations...

Last edited:
   / My first of many Retaining Walls to tame my slope - DIY #106  
That truly is an AMAZING view. Congratulations.

Eddie

Okay it's been a couple years and I figured an update would be appropriate. I decided to add one more course to the upper wall because the slope above was a little too 'puckery' for sidehill mowing. Everything holding perfectly after two winters. I think the blocks are now heavier though... ugh! Vegetable garden is doing great... and now I am thinking about another wall... but not looking forward to it.

IMG_8058.jpg

Mark, just so you don't start adding terraces every 10'. How many hours on your BX now? I am pushing 1500. Ron
Ha ha. You astutely have caught on to my dilemma.

Mark, just so you don't start adding terraces every 10'. How many hours on your BX now? I am pushing 1500.

Ron
Hi Ron... just over a year to properly reply... but I'm approaching 400hrs. Figuring this fall, I will be bringing it in the shop for it's proper maintenance interval.

The walls are looking good as new... and unfortunately I am getting the itch to add more. :mur: