My first tractor and first post. =)

/ My first tractor and first post. =)
Awesome information! for 18.1-16.1 tires that puts it at 49 gallons and 409 lbs per tire, that would fix all my weight problems in one go! Add another 500+lbs to a boxblade setup would be icing on the cake. The local O'reilly sells the concentrate in smaller sizes that mixes 8 gallons each for a freeze point of -18F and at 3200' elevation on a southern facing slope, the record low here is -10F and the average lowest temp is 30F. I personally have seen it get into the teens 2 winters of the 12 I've been here. If I stick strictly to the mixture I'll be set. However, looking at the image of the bottle it says "with ammonia" but it also says it won't harm car finishes, metal, or rubber.. I'll look around some more and see what I can find that is ethanol based.

Thank you for the awesome information. I never would have found out myself :laughing: my Google-fu is weak.

818 pounds at the recommended 75% fill is going to be great =) I did find a write up on how to fill the tires, so next on my list is the $15 tool from Gemplers and $38 in concentrate. $2.69 for each 8 gallon mixture, if thats the way I end up going.

/ My first tractor and first post. =) #22  
Is it a gas or diesel, 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder?

Identifying the exact model you have should be your first priority because you will eventually have to buy parts for it. I could be wrong, but by judging from the pictures alone, it appears that you may have an International Harvester model 606 or 706 tractor, manufactured from approximately 1962-1967, which was also badged as Farmall in certain cases. There was also an industrial version but despite the yellow color, I think you have the standard version, mainly due to the red paint underneath.

The model and serial numbers should be located on a metal tag fastened to the clutch housing, on left side of tractor. The following pages from tractordata.com should be helpful for further information.

Standard Version:
TractorData.com International Harvester 606 tractor information
TractorData.com International Harvester 706 tractor information

Industrial Version:
TractorData.com International Harvester 2606 industrial tractor information
TractorData.com International Harvester 2706 industrial tractor information

I'm leaning more towards the IH 504, all the specs are right, but for the tires of course.. 4cyl diesel, 5 forward 1 reverse and what pics there are of it look right for the placement of things... sort of.. The hose for the rear implement valve is routed differently, and there is a diverter valve in place for the loader arms. I'm sure there might be some differences over the years? the numbers on the clutch housing (18396) would put mine at a 1967 if I am correct.

Yet another item which I've found to be alarming is that there is indeed water in the rear tires, and the water does not have a smell to it, so either it has odorless rv antifreeze in it, or it's just straight water. Would calcium have a smell to it? At least for now I don't have to put money out for that and will focus on the boxblade+weights. As of right now it will not back up an incline unless I have the bucket fully raised to center the weight.. I don't care to do that often, and have/will not do that with a load in the bucket.

Back to the drawing board.

Thanks a ton for that information =) My bro was able to match the water pump to pics off his database, but many models run the same or close to the same diesel engine with the same water pump, yet now I can be certain when I order parts next time.

I'm on the hunt for hydraulic cylinders, the local scrap yard here doesn't often get anything worth salvaging so I am looking for smaller "pick and pull" type yards. There are quite a few auto yards up here, and a few big rig dismantlers, yet from my experience with some of them I might as well just go through ebay. I also need an upper adjustable link for my 3ph. Tomorrow I am going to pull a load of scrap together for cash to check out the local tractor supply.

/ My first tractor and first post. =) #25  
Dan the RV antifreeze is pink or red, looks like strawberry soda. calcium is clear but if you taste a drop of it it would taste salty. Methanol is of course an alchohol and would be clear but I would think you could detect its "spirit" quality's. Methanol is toxic.

James K0UA

Thanks James, I checked it again and it seems like straight water so I will have to plan on getting the fitting and doing the rv or washer fluid trick by next winter. It's a bit colder up here than where I got it from due to the elevation difference, so I'm sure the last owner wasn't all too worried about it.

The tractor saved my back again today while loading up the truck with likely 2k lbs of scrap, then I putted around pushing out an area by the garage that was full of weeds and sink holes until it was too dark to see anymore. Time to get some lighting on this machine! I have some 6" buckets with H4 halogens, and I plan to find a place on the loader arms that won't be compromised by a couple of strong tack welded tabs. I will also wire in the stock lights as they don't seem to be wired to anything. My buddy was testing some wires when we picked up the tractor and got one of them to work by jumping the power from elsewhere. Just need to spend some time fiddling with it.

So far I've replaced the water pump, the alternator, added quick disconnects for rear hydraulics, added a push button for the starter, an electric fan on the radiator with it's own switch, an electric fuel pump just to prime the system (seems to start better that way, and I added it after running the diesel dry.. what a headache THAT is) and I believe that's about it.

Future plans include Lights, rebuild the brakes, ROP/canopy, boxblade, land plane (if I just can't seem to grade the road with the box blade) loader teeth, thumb, forks (set up for the front and rear) replace the clutch, hydraulic pump, wheel weights, some kind of trencher/harrow, and more as I decide I can't live without it.. xD

Should keep me busy for another year or 5.

Finding a place that sells red diesel would help as well.

/ My first tractor and first post. =) #27  
Welcome. You will get all sorts of help here.
I didn't read the posts after you posted about no traction with a bucketfull going up hill. It would be a huge problem going downhill or across a slope. Get some kind of weight on the back or fill the tires.
I wouldn't want to be reading about you in the newspaper emergency runs.

I've already learned I am not 18 anymore and I can't go jumping off the tractor into the mud =) Rolled my ankle and had to take a vacation for a few weeks.

Yet it's amazing how fast you can stop a tractor if you drop the bucket, but indeed I definitely plan to build a boxblade with extra weights soon. I have indeed found out that I have water in the rear tires, yet there is a rise from one level to the other in the yard where my shop is located, on the lower pad I have 20-30 yards of small road base that I am working on spreading on the road where water has made rivulets 6"+ deep when it rans, anway I have to gun it in 3rd gear to get up a section that rises 4 feet in 15 feet or so when the bucket is full..and that doesn't even compare to how steep the 1/4 mile of road is that I really need to fix this summer, anyway I've heard that a bit of weight on a boxblade really helps when it's in use as the 3ph just floats in the down position. Win/Win.

I am thinking about building the boxblade 6-12" wider than the rear tires so that when I have it set at an angle.. say.. to run a water ditch down a road, it actually digs in right behind the rear tire, or still outside of it. I'll have to look around and see what exactly is viable in this situation.

I have 5 neighbors on my road and we all pitch in to have 1-2 10 yard dumptruck loads of road base dropped off down at the highway every year just to fix a small section of the road that gets washed out every year, and so far we've been moving it around with shovels.. I can't wait to really get the road angled right so water stays in the ditch and out of the road.

Sorry guys I am a bit long winded and tend to ramble and repeat myself a bit, it helps me to remind myself to keep chuggin' along.

Time to build some implements.

395176_310768905647054_100001418403117_869918_1858012434_n.jpg

I've blown 2 hoses in 2 days.. all on the same system. The first one was a make-your-own hose that the outer layer had rotten away on, it was leaking, so I tightened it up and it went not long after. In the process of replacing it I also put it back in the half round clamps that hold it to the loader frame.. Either I reefed on it a little too hard or it just didn't like going back in it's old spot and it split the hose at the fitting.

These hoses are painted, so they are as old as the loader frame I'm sure.. and the whole tractor was painted when the loader was installed--the loader doesn't have red paint under the yellow paint. :thumbsup: At least it's only about $15 to have a 2' hose made for me with pressed on fittings.