My First Tractor will be a Ventrac 4500Y.

/ My First Tractor will be a Ventrac 4500Y. #21  
JJM,

It is unlikely you will need tire chains. I also think it unlikely that there is sufficient clearance under the fenders for them anyway even if you had the 3" axle extensions.

The Ventrac Strobe light is incompatible with the Femco Canopy, but the Ventrac Work Lights can be used. I have them on my tractor. You can easily remove the strobe to mount the canopy, but that defeats your purpose in having the store in the first place. I am not aware of any manufacturer that makes weather break cabs that work with articulated tractors.

It seems the reason you want the strobe and lights is so that you will be seen by drivers on a road at the END of your lane. OK, but that is very restrictive for the small amount of time you would be exposed at the end of your lane. If you were going to be moving snow on or beside a long public roadway or sidewalk the safety lights would be needed. The far greater need when operating a snowblower or broom is to keep blowing snow off your face. If you were to get a Ventrac cab, a strobe and several other types of work and safety lights are available. The cab and accessories are a major expense. In addition the cab must be removed when operating on slopes in the summer. Removal of the cab requires an overhead crane, loader, or forklift. The simple approach of a Femco canopy for a bit over $300 and a golf cart cover for less than $100 keeps the snow off your face, but, of course, there is no heater as there would be in a factory cab.

So there are compromises for all of the options. Keep us informed of your decisions.

Jack

/ My First Tractor will be a Ventrac 4500Y. #22  
For heat just hit the reverse on the trans cooler. Some heat anyway.

/ My First Tractor will be a Ventrac 4500Y.
Yes, Jack, my major reason for wanting the strobe light is so that operators of vehicles can see me when they are on the road and approaching the driveway if I happen to be down there at the time. The State Highway Administration is very good about plowing the road. Even though it is a two-lane highway, it is a numbered State route, and it carries a fair amount of traffic during rush hour.

The plow trucks of the State Highway Administration, when heading Southbound on the road, will push the snow over to the right shoulder. As a result, I often end up with a significant wall of snow at the apron of the driveway, immediately adjacent to the road.

There are curves in the road both to the North and the South of the driveway, and people sometimes come flying down the road well in excess of the posted speed limit. So, every bit of visibility helps.

(The traffic flow gets heavier if there is a problem on Interstate Highway 83, which is about six miles East of here. I-83 is a North-South artery that runs up to York, Pennsylvania, and Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, and it carries a lot of commuting traffic, and a lot of trucking. If there is an accident on I-83, the North/South options are limited, so our road can end up carrying a lot more traffic than normal.... people in a hurry, and many of them not intimately familiar with the road.

It is safest to blow or broom the snow before or after after the morning rush hour, or before or after the evening rush hour. At this time of year, blowing or brooming the snow before the morning rush hour, or after the evening rush hour, means dealing with the snow during the hours of darkness.

Murph, I will inquire of Femco as regards that company's weatherbreak, and will let you know what Femco says. Looking at the web site, I do not see an option for a hand-cranked or electrically driven windshield wiper. I suppose that, if need be, I could carry a brush to clean off the windscreen. Something like these:

<http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx/Brush-Snow/_/R-BK_8031670_0006392876>,

of which I already have a few.

With best regards, JJM

Another thought...

Perhaps one of these would be useful for keeping the snow off of my face:
<http://www.stihlusa.com/products/protective-and-work-wear/head-and-face-protection/wchelmet/#>

I have been meaning to get something like that anyway, for when I work with my chain saws. Similar brooducts are available with Plexiglas® face shields, but I suspect that a solid Plexiglas® face shield might fog up.

With best regards,

JJM

/ My First Tractor will be a Ventrac 4500Y. #25  
JJM,

The Stihl helmut is fine for chain saw work, but for snow I recommend you consider a snowmobile helmut. Some are even equipped with electrical face masks to prevent fogging. Just Google.

JackIL

Thanks again, Jack!

I see that there are not only electrically heated snowmobile helmets, but also electrically heated snowmobile gloves, snowmobile vests, snowmobile pants, and snowmobile jackets, and heated insoles for boots.

E.g., <http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/CTGY/snow-heated-apparel>

I expect that the 60-Ampere alternator that comes with the Ventrac 4500Y is up to handling the load of a full electrically heated outfit. ;-)

I have found threads at another forum in which an owner (BKBrown of Madison, Virginia) mentions using chains on a Ventrac 4231...

Let's just say that I have the 60" mower, the 60" dozer/snow blade, the excavator bucket, the lawn aerator, the leaf blower, a spreader (for both seed and sanding the road), 300 Lbs of suitcase weights, AND the 60" Snow Blower that has been used heavily when we had 2 snows that were recorded around 2' close together and some more around the same time. The Ventrac plowed out 9 long (some steep) Driveways and over 1/2 mile of road and never missed a beat with snow over 2' deep. With the chains on, it pulled out 4WD vehicles and one neighbor's 4WD Kubota

<http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/ventrac-forum/2703-post-picture-your-ventrac-3.html>

Re: Plowing with the Ventrac
[Picture of Ventrac with Chains, <http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/attachments/ventrac-forum/19597d1393906462-plowing-ventrac-ventrac-chains-jpg>] I have the grader blade and the excavator bucket, but the blower works great for anything deep !

-ventrac-chains-jpg v bar chains on all 4 makes this go in nearly anything !

Re: Plowing with the Ventrac

Quote Originally Posted by Raw Dodge:

"Nice chains! Do you remember what brand they are and what they cost.I really don't rely on the ventrac full time.Just do little stuff around the house too small for my trucks.I have a plowing business and multiple trucks loader skid steer..Plowing with a 10ft plow on the truck, is 5x faster than the ventrac and way warmer.. I was just cleaning that spot over the septic tank to make room for more snow."

Garden Tractor V-BAR Chains <http://www.tirechain.com/Garden-Tractor-V-BAR-Chains.htm> I believe this is where I got them and ordered a couple extra cross chains to make sure I had true 2 link spacing -- I put a 1/2" lexan spacer on the front to clear the rod that protects the hydro hoses.

<http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/ventrac-forum/22112-plowing-ventrac.html>

So, apparently, it is possible to fit chains. It seems that Mr. Brown did not use Ventrac wheel extenders, but rather fabricated ½-inch spacers for the front wheels. If half-inch Lexan spacers will work, I would imagine that the 3-inch Ventrac steel spacers would also work.

JJM

Last edited:
   / My First Tractor will be a Ventrac 4500Y. #28  
Do you have pics to this? I have used my Blower for 1 season so I can only say so far I have not seen the need for chains

/ My First Tractor will be a Ventrac 4500Y. #30  
JJM,

Thanks for the links. I had forgotten that Bruce K Brown used tire chains on his Ventrac.

There is another issue to consider. Steel chains can readily damage blacktop and concrete. On a past tractor (Not Ventrac) I have used rubber tire chains to prevent damage. See

Rubber Tire Chain Images

In scanning through their list of sizes offered, I do not find the tire size used on Ventrac. ( 22 x 12-8 ) They say in the information to contact them about custom sizes.

Jack