My First Visit from the Trash Inspector.

/ My First Visit from the Trash Inspector.
Exactly... how can someone tell if a few recyclables are intermixed with 6 yards of trash?

I'm really not excited about being any more of the in house trash sorter/inspector than I already am... plus having to purchase all these extra containers which will need to be individually transported to the property outside bin.

So instead of having 150 receptacles inside the hospital I would need to have at least 300 for effective point of disposal sorting...

Plus in a hospital we are required to use waste receptacles that are fire rated not to support or add to combustion...

/ My First Visit from the Trash Inspector. #12  
We need to separate the organic from trash from recyclables plus all the other things that require special disposal.

It just that soiled paper is now organic as is wood unless it is painted wood...

Do they expect you to police the actual use of the trash cans prior to being emptied into the dumpsters and/or sift through them to insure everything is in its place?

/ My First Visit from the Trash Inspector. #13  
I went to graduate school, and I get confused on what goes where when I belly up to a row of cans, each for a specific material.

So then I just throw everything in the garbage

Implementation is to start with new containers that are color coded with signage and reminders...

Staff is generally pretty good... the general public is abysmal for the most part and it may not be their fault... elderly, infirmed, alzheimer's, vision impaired or simply don't give a darn as toilet stoppages bear this out...

It was suggested Security Cameras directed to the lunch room, break room and outside dumpsters would go a long way to kick start this program and a $500 grant is being offered for education expenses...

Dealing with illegal dumping already takes valuable time each day... the cost of disposal has gone through the roof and daily on my way to work I see new dumping on the right of ways...

/ My First Visit from the Trash Inspector. #15  
When I worked for the Health Dept in Anchorage, ALL hospital waste was incinerated. The hospital had its own incinerator. Made for easy on-site collection & disposal. Monthly, the ash from the incinerator was hauled to the city landfill and deposited at an approved site & covered.

/ My First Visit from the Trash Inspector. #16  
Our city collects the recyclables...paper, plastic, metals separate from the rest of the trash; but it is voluntary. We put all of our organics; kitchen waste and garden wastes into the compost, so our "trash" is greatly reduced. In a week, we will usually have maybe two kitchen sized bags that go to "trash". At that rate, it would take a month or more to fill the typical trash container; the recycle container is usually full at the end of two weeks. It works well for us; wish it were made mandatory.

Incinerators in practical terms are no more due to air regulations here... even my grade school had one that was used daily.

There are still offsite medical incinerators with scrubbers/monitoring and a few crematoriums.

Our city collects the recyclables...paper, plastic, metals separate from the rest of the trash; but it is voluntary. We put all of our organics; kitchen waste and garden wastes into the compost, so our "trash" is greatly reduced. In a week, we will usually have maybe two kitchen sized bags that go to "trash". At that rate, it would take a month or more to fill the typical trash container; the recycle container is usually full at the end of two weeks. It works well for us; wish it were made mandatory.

At home I don't fill one small garbage bag each week... I have the smallest can size allowed at 20 gallons and it really would be good for once a month...

Trash is always a problem at multi unit property... the big ones are scavengers... even got sued by one scavenging my curbside trash and the insurance company paid $2500 saying it was cheaper than to fight... the other is people driving by and putting things like paint, motor oil or batteries in my curbside trash cans.

Like it or not... every landlord in here has to be very careful and short of standing on the curb on collection day... things still happen.

The compulsory service ordinance means the only choice is between size of container... residential 20 gallon to 96 gallon or multiples of the above...

/ My First Visit from the Trash Inspector. #19  
Around here it's pretty rural.......no recycling unless you take it to special dumpsters.....most people don't. The low life idiots have a very inexpensive solution to their trash needs.......load up the back of your pick up.....take it up a logging road and dump it. These idiots are the same folks who keep asking....why are they putting gates on all the logging roads......go figure.

/ My First Visit from the Trash Inspector. #20  
Today, 06:33 AM
@ k0ua This might be why folks live here:

20140902_132408.jpg

20140902_134508.jpg