my five options

/ my five options #21  
Got sheep? just kidding. Good luck with your search. Any pictures of terrain your trying to mow?

/ my five options #22  
I just bought a Garden tractor with a 54'' deck. Hasn't even been delivered yet.
Here are the tractors I compared before making my decision.
1* New Holland my19 19 HP 52'' deck tiller and front blade turf tires built fir NH by Toro.
New left over 2004 7225.
Another new left over 2004 at another NH dealer 7375.
A brand new 2006 8625
The same tractor in a Toro at a Toro dealer 8725.
2*Simplicity
New 2006 Prestige 23 HP 50'' deck tiller and front blade turf tires. 7278
New 2006 Conquest 23 HP 50'' deck tiller and front blade turf tires. 6678
3*Cub Cadet
New left over 2005 gt 2554 23 HP 54'' deck tiller and front blade Ag tires- 5050
New 2006 -------- --- gt 2554 23 HP 54'' deck tiller and front blade Turf tires. 5450
New 2006 gt 2542 18 HP 42'' deck 3000 deck tiller and front blade Ag tires not included
New 2006 gt 2544 20 HP 44'' deck 3400 deck tiller and front blade Ag tires not included
New 2006 gt 2550 21 HP 50'' deck 3700 deck tiller and front blade Ag tires not included

----->>

/ my five options #23  
GaryS said:
I have a brand new Craftsman that I'm giving to my father tomorrow. I have big hills and difficult terrain. While the Craftsman is a decent mower, my yard is going to kill it.

I need a better solution. As I see it I have five options:

1) Have someone else cut the grass,

I don't have an estimate, but I assume it'd be between $100-$200 per cut. This eliminates all machine and maintenance costs and lets me focus on beer.

2) Cub Cadet 2542 - $3k

This has a shaft driven hydro but I worry that Cub Cadet is owned by MTD which has a terrible reputation. I view this as a 5 year machine.

3) Kubota gr2100 - $7600

A nearly perfect machine for me: Pros: AWD & diesel. Cons: I do wish I could get a smaller deck and the clearance under the rear axel is very small. I view this as a 20 year machine.

4) Walk behind mower - $3000

Something like a mid-range Scag. I think I read somewhere that this is about the best option for hills. This is a pure "cut grass" option.

5) Buy a used one - $2k -> $5k

I've looked all season for a good, used JD318 or 455. I've not found one. I have seen a few on eBay but I'm not crazy about buying off eBay. The only other 318 I saw had a snow blower and the guy wanted $3400 - too much for a used one.

I need to make a decision in the next week and as you see, I'm all over the map. I had talked myself into the CC but now lean towards trying to find a way to make a deal on the Kubota. $8k to cut grass just hurts.

Any thoughts or comments?

I was Gun shy about the cubs just like you until I learned more about them on this and 3 other tractor boards.
If it hadn't been for that I would never have purchased a Cub Cadet 2554 last Tuesday.

-->>Here is a copy of my shopping list-Hopefully it will increase your options.
LBrown59
Prices of tractors with mower decks only.
1*New 2005 Cub Cadet GL2554.....3500
2*New 2006 Cub Cadet GT2554....4000
3*New 2006 Simplicity Conquest...4400
4*2004 New Holland MY19............4650
5*2006 New Holland MY19............5900
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Same Tractors with a tiller and front blade added.
1*New 2005 Cub Cadet GL2554.....4950
2*New 2006 Cub Cadet GT2554....5450
3*New 2006 Simplicity Conquest...6678
4*2004 New Holland MY19............7375
5*2006 New Holland MY19............8625
This illustration shows the importance of including all the attachments/implements in order to accurately determine the actual dollar difference between 2 or more tractors.
You can get the same tractor in a toro as the NH.

/ my five options
GaryS said:
I need a better solution. As I see it I have five options:

I've finally decided and I went with option #6. I bought a Woods rear finish mower (PRD6000) and will use my Massey.

I decided on this after using the brush hog on the yard right after a heavy rain. I expected the tractor to leave track marks all over the place but it didn't. I did the experiment with the loader still attached so if I remove that it'll be even lighter.

I also bought a pair of the Pat's Easy Change thingees because I'll be swapping attachments much more often.

Thanks to everyone for all the input.

/ my five options #25  
GaryS said:
I've finally decided and I went with option #6. I bought a Woods rear finish mower (PRD6000) and will use my Massey.QUOTE]

Assuming that you have had adequate time to assess your choice for mowing, could you please share your thoughts on the decision.

I am also faced with a lawn cutting decision. A very expensive decision since I am faced with replacing a useless riding lawn mower with:

[a] a Kubota BX24 tractor w/a MMM
a Kubota BX24 tractor w/a rear mower
[c] a Kubota F3680 front end mower

I have high hopes of buying a larger Kubota tractor at a later date which complicates selecting options [a] or . I really don't need or want two tractors.

We have 15 acres [approx 4 acres of lawn and field]. I plan to clear another 3 acres of woods to field. That easily justifies any lawn cutting purchase given that I presently ride the mower for 3 hours.

However, and as much as I like the F3680, it is difficult to imagine spending $17K to just cut grass. However, a rear mower would be challenging around the buildings and etc.

Has the rear mower created any concerns for you?

Thanks,
The Gardener

/ my five options
The Gardener said:
Assuming that you have had adequate time to assess your choice for mowing, could you please share your thoughts on the decision.

I had two main concerns. First I worried that the heavier tractor would tear up the yard. Second, the rear mower wouldn't be as easy to manipulate. I have a lot of tough terrain so I knew that FWD was the only real option for me.

My options then were very limited: Kubota Gr2100, BX1850, or a professional walk behind mower. The GR2100 was too limited and a too much of an oddball machine for my taste. The BX1850 was a perfect fit but it was $9k - and $9k to just cut grass was way too much for my blood. To get a decent professional walk behind machine, I was still in the $5k ballpark (Skagg or Harris with a kawasaki engine).

I was really tempted with the bx1850 but having two machines was a bit of overkill.

What convinced me was that I used my brush hog on the lawn right after a decent rain. It cut well and the tractor didn't mess up the yard. I also liked being able to back the cutter into places where I would not be able to get to with a MMM. BTW, I asked about the MMM for my Massey and it was freaking $3700!!

So, for me it became a no brainer. $2k for a top notch RFM that I can use with my existing tractor. Hope all this helps.

/ my five options #27  
GaryS said:
...- and $9k to just cut grass was way too much for my blood...Hope all this helps.

Thanks GaryS. I have until next summer to make a decision.

I agree completely that spending many thousands of dollars on a dedicated lawn mower is a very difficult purchase to make. Yet, at the same time, I am looking at 4 acres of lawn at present and an additional 3 acres of lawn sometime in the future as I continue to clear more of the woods. Knowing that I must cut the lawn once a week for 6+ months each year, I am beginning to think that an expensive, dedicated lawn mower [the Kubota F3680] might be justifiable.

I am trying to talk myself into the F3680 as my first Kubota purchase even though it seems terribly impractical.

Thanks Again,
The Gardener

/ my five options #28  
If this is the same franklin Park PA I am familiar with about 15 miles north of Pittsburgh you may want to check at Turner tractor 2 miles east of evans city, PA on PA 68. He comes up with former demo deere equipment. Thats where I purchased my JD 425 and sent many others there. He may have a 4xx series unit in stock. Good Luck and have fun browsing

/ my five options
fansco said:
you may want to check at Turner tractor

That's where I bought most of my stuff. He said he wouldn't have anything until November. I had been pestering him since July and recently just bought a Woods RFM off him for my Massey.

Ray is a good guy.