My Ford won't go into 4WD

/ My Ford won't go into 4WD #1  

Corm

Gold Member
Tractor
1999 Cub Cadet 7260, 1953 Farmall Super A
My Ford won\'t go into 4WD

I have a 2000 F250, V10, standard shift, 3.73 gears, 4x4, 47k miles. I needed to use 4WD the other day, and it wouldn't go into 4WD using the hubs in the Automatic mode. I ended up having to go outside and manually lock in my hubs, after which 4WD worked fine.

When I turn the knob on the dashboard from 2WD to 4WD, I hear the familiar click in the transfer case, but don't hear the familiar clunk from the front end /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Since 4WD does work if I manually lock in the hubs, is it possible that I just need to take the hubs apart and give them a good clean up and lube, or is this indicative of another, more serious problem /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif? I've never taken apart any 4WD hubs, can't imagine they are all that complicated, but am hoping someone who has may have a suggestion or experience to share??

Thanks in advance for any info shared. BTW, this is the first problem I've had with this truck. It's been a real good rig.

Corm

/ My Ford won't go into 4WD #2  
Re: My Ford won\'t go into 4WD

Corm,

Ford has had problems with the autolocking hubs. I have not
paid too much attention to the solution since I have manual
hubs.

Search through the old Ford Diesel website for the autolocking
hubs and you will find the problem and solution.

The url is ....

www.thedieselstop.com

Later,
Dan McCarty

/ My Ford won't go into 4WD #3  

Corm,
I had an F250SD for a while. Yes, remove the hubs and lube them. I just used WD-40 every 3-4 months and things worked great. I used to have trouble with them unlocking at times. Removal of the hubs is easy.........just a snap ring and they pull right out.

Jerry

/ My Ford won't go into 4WD

Thanks for the info! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif That's what I was hoping to hear. I'll have to wait until the first of the week till I have the time to tackle them. I'll let you folks know how I make out.

Corm

/ My Ford won't go into 4WD

I will definitely check out that website. Thanks!!

Corm

/ My Ford won't go into 4WD #6  

HI Corm, sorry to hear about your hubs but sounds like a simple fix. We hope. Have to have the rig up for camping. Take care and have a great summer. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif