My Home-built Log Splitter

/ My Home-built Log Splitter #1  

thallman

Tractor
Mahindra 7060 4WD
Check out the 3pt home-built splitter I recently finished and let me know what you think!

Logsplitterfinal1.jpg

Logsplitterfinal2.jpg

Logsplitterfinal3.jpg

Logsplitterfinal4.jpg

Logsplitterfinal5.jpg

Logsplitterfinal6.jpg

IMG_2055.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2065.jpg

/ My Home-built Log Splitter #2  
Excellent job. Have you tried it out yet? Ken Sweet

/ My Home-built Log Splitter
Yes. I tried it out before painting it. It's slower than the motor powered or pto pump powered machinces because I'm using the tractors hydraulic pump (which I'm guessing is somewhere around 7-8GMP --average for most tractors). But it's not too slow. I've modified and fixed our farm machinery before but this is the first piece I've made from scratch.

/ My Home-built Log Splitter #4  
Nice job! :thumbsup:

/ My Home-built Log Splitter #5  
Yes. I tried it out before painting it. It's slower than the motor powered or pto pump powered machinces because I'm using the tractors hydraulic pump (which I'm guessing is somewhere around 7-8GMP --average for most tractors). But it's not too slow. I've modified and fixed our farm machinery before but this is the first piece I've made from scratch.

I built one several years ago and speeded my splitting cycle up in a unusual way. I put vertical angle iron wings on the back of knife. This let the split occur faster, without making as long a stroke. Ken Sweet

/ My Home-built Log Splitter
Thanks Ken, for the suggestion. I've seen multiple people do that and considered it if this doesn't end up splitting the way I want to in the long run. The main reason I didn't do that was because I've seen people run a slip-on 4-way splitting wedge that I thought was pretty cool. In it's current state, that option still remains :)

Last edited:
   / My Home-built Log Splitter #7  
Thanks Ken, for the suggestion. I've seen multiple people do that and considered it if this doesn't end up splitting the way I want to in the long run. The main reason I didn't do that was because I've seen people run a slip-on 4-way splitting wedge that I though was pretty cool. In it's current state, that option still remains :)

Yes, that 4 way split is a nice feature on smaller diameter pieces. Ken Sweet

/ My Home-built Log Splitter #8  
Looks like it should last into the next century. Any idea how much it weighs?

/ My Home-built Log Splitter #9  
Thallman... nice build, everyone talks about speed being the big thing, i know that about a hour and things slow down a lot, and i'm not talking about the machine. LOL
i like a long thin knife for tough stringy wood, it just splits better with less breakage on the side of the wood and requires less power, if we get into maple or ash then we just start to split the wood about half way then stroke back and add another block and push the first one through and so on. We found that the addition of a table at the end of the knife to hold split wood so it doesn't just fall on the ground or wood that needs to be resplit again is a real help, this one is about 2 feet past the end of the knife and is 10 inches wide on both sides,

Attachments

• IMG_0343.jpg
    IMG_0343.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 691