My John Deere 466 won't knot on one side

/ My John Deere 466 won't knot on one side #1  

eyessafety

Tractor
466 John Deere Baler
I have a 466 John Deere small square baler I have 3.5 acres of hay and it worked great then I went to my neighbor to do his 10 acres and the left knotter won't tie I have checked the manual and did everything as outlined in the manual and still won't tie I compared both knotters and they look the same I did notice the cotter pin was pushed to the left side a bit making for some extra play so I put in another one it was a bit smaller and then there was more play if this is the problem please let me know and I will get the right size and try that. It seems that every time I try to bale it is the same problem have to spend two to three hours trying to figure it out it is getting to the point I want to get rid of this green machine and buy a hesston or new holland. All help will be completely appreciated and maybe I can quit pulling out my hair trying to figure this out.

/ My John Deere 466 won't knot on one side #2  
Welcome TBN
What is the billhook not doing? Is there a knot in one end of twine & not the other end?

/ My John Deere 466 won't knot on one side
Welcome TBN
What is the billhook not doing? Is there a knot in one end of twine & not the other end?

It isn't making a knot at all after working on it for 7 hours it tied one knot and that was the only one. The knotter on the left side was loose the cotter pin was bent which caused the slack so I went in to John Deere to get another one just in case it was a weird size. I haven't put it in yet as it's pouring rain just my bad luck as soon as it quits I am going to put it in and try turning it by hand to watch what happens. Any other help or suggestions sure wouldn't hurt as I will try everything till it is working again.
Thanks Eyes

/ My John Deere 466 won't knot on one side #4  
Having one knotter working makes the other diagnosis easy. On the bad one, a no-knot condition implies the twine is not captured by the billhook as it rotates. Either the jaw is not opening and closing or its stuck open or closed.

Check the twine pullout force from the twine box (~10 lbs and the twine disc pull thru (also ~10 lbs).

My suggestion is to empty the baler and trip the knotter drive. Then manually roll the flywheel over A FEW degrees at a time and watch:

needles lift together (watch the tips pass by the intermittent gear and are touching it actually.

tucker fingers swipe together and barely clear the needles as they assist drawing the twine into the twine disc notches.

bill hooks rotate and the jaws open to receive the twine and then close.

wiper arms slam by the billhook jaw (full contact pressure, no gap between wiper arm and jaw) to peel off the knot, fully forming it.

knives slice the twine near the fully formed knot. If you can swing it, show us a video of the knotter drive operating with the pto in idle position. No hay being plunged, no twine threaded.

Small Square Baler Knotter - YouTube

/ My John Deere 466 won't knot on one side #6  
Have you adjusted the Tucker Fingers?...:)
View attachment 517526

Tucker finger miss would still give you a knot at one end and a cut twine with the loop not complete. He says he has no knots at all on the bad side. To me that means the needle is not placing the twine in the twine disc, the disc is not holding it, or its not turning.

Not holding it means the twine disc tension is too low. Just a spring/locknut adjustment. This is a common problem when you switch over to plastic twine from sisal. Plastic is more slippery. Needle could be out of position causing it to misplace the twine in the twine disc notch. Twine disc not turning is a real bad sign. Busticated gear teeth !

/ My John Deere 466 won't knot on one side #7  
Tucker finger miss would still give you a knot at one end and a cut twine with the loop not complete. He says he has no knots at all on the bad side. To me that means the needle is not placing the twine in the twine disc, the disc is not holding it, or its not turning.

Not holding it means the twine disc tension is too low. Just a spring/locknut adjustment. This is a common problem when you switch over to plastic twine from sisal. Plastic is more slippery. Needle could be out of position causing it to misplace the twine in the twine disc notch. Twine disc not turning is a real bad sign. Busticated gear teeth !

Well, then this is what else he should be checking...:)

View attachment John-Deere-336-346.pdf