My John Deere had a PIP!!

/ My John Deere had a PIP!! #1  

Wombat125

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 5303
So I get a call from my local dealer on Thursday to tell me I had a PIP on my tractor. After I figured out that PIP is JD parlance for Product Improvement Program, which is code for recall, the woman on the phone asked if they could send someone out early next week. I told her I would be out of town, so it would have to wait until around March 3. She asked if they could sneak it in tomorrow (Friday). That worked.

Around 3:00 pm, the field tech shows up in his new 4x4 F550 with a new steering cylinder in hand. Apparently some of the pistons in the steering cylinders in my serial number range were left exposed to the elements with no corrosion protection and were prone to pitting and tearing up the seal. This caused erratic steering behavior. Apparently, these cylinders were sourced from Italy for whatever that's worth. As it turns out, my piston was fine, but per policy, they replaced it anyway.

The replacement cylinder was black (dang cabbed tractors), but the field tech painted it green in my shop. While he worked, I pelted him with questions about my tractor and helped a little by holding the wrench on one side of the piston while he loosened the tie rod on the other side.

When it was done, the 1 hour job ended up taking nearly 2 hours, mostly because we got into an extended conversation about my 1966 JD 110H lawn tractor and old Japanese dirt bikes.

The point of this story is that once again, I am very glad I selected the John Deere brand.

Quick, what's wrong with the second picture?

Attachments

• DSC01868.JPG
    DSC01868.JPG
    330.7 KB · Views: 1,079
  • DSC01869.JPG
    DSC01869.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 1,278
   / My John Deere had a PIP!! #3  
The Hodaka is precariously perched on the stool.

/ My John Deere had a PIP!! #4  
Did you notice that the field tech was using a JD set of wrenches?? Wonder if they are standard issue or he had to buy them

Brian

/ My John Deere had a PIP!! #5  

My guess would have been the jeep wrangler with the bush hog hooked up to it. Everybody knows Jeeps don't come with 3pt hitches!! :)

/ My John Deere had a PIP!! #6  
So I get a call from my local dealer on Thursday to tell me I had a PIP on my tractor. After I figured out that PIP is JD parlance for Product Improvement Program, which is code for recall, the woman on the phone asked if they could send someone out early next week. I told her I would be out of town, so it would have to wait until around March 3. She asked if they could sneak it in tomorrow (Friday). That worked.

Around 3:00 pm, the field tech shows up in his new 4x4 F550 with a new steering cylinder in hand. Apparently some of the pistons in the steering cylinders in my serial number range were left exposed to the elements with no corrosion protection and were prone to pitting and tearing up the seal. This caused erratic steering behavior. Apparently, these cylinders were sourced from Italy for whatever that's worth. As it turns out, my piston was fine, but per policy, they replaced it anyway.

The replacement cylinder was black (dang cabbed tractors), but the field tech painted it green in my shop. While he worked, I pelted him with questions about my tractor and helped a little by holding the wrench on one side of the piston while he loosened the tie rod on the other side.

When it was done, the 1 hour job ended up taking nearly 2 hours, mostly because we got into an extended conversation about my 1966 JD 110H lawn tractor and old Japanese dirt bikes.

The point of this story is that once again, I am very glad I selected the John Deere brand.

Quick, what's wrong with the second picture?

Glad they took care of you. Who makes the JD tools? I love the pic on the right, no steering hooked up. :)

/ My John Deere had a PIP!! #7  
Looks OK to me... isn't that the "optional" Center-Pull steering? Used whenever a really narrow straight line is needed?? :D

AKfish

/ My John Deere had a PIP!! #8  
Looks like something is wrong with the paint on the loader bucket too. It doesn't seem to come off.

Steve

/ My John Deere had a PIP!!
10 bonus points for identifying a Hodaka motorcycle!

Did you notice that the field tech was using a JD set of wrenches?? Wonder if they are standard issue or he had to buy them
He had to buy his own tools. He had mostly a mix of Craftsman and SnapOn. Interesting though, I was at the dealer this morning and found the set of high polish wrenches that came in the pouch in the picture was only ~$160. That seems pretty reasonable for 20+ wrenches. Not sure who makes them.

My guess would have been the jeep wrangler with the bush hog hooked up to it. Everybody knows Jeeps don't come with 3pt hitches!! :)
Au Contraire, Mon Fraire!
Farm Jeep

AKfish said:
Looks OK to me... isn't that the "optional" Center-Pull steering? Used whenever a really narrow straight line is needed??
That is wrong...just plain wrong...:)

Looks like something is wrong with the paint on the loader bucket too. It doesn't seem to come off.
Ok, I deserved that. But in all fairness the tractor is relatively new and snow isn't too hard on the bucket. Plus, that paint is crazy durable. When I welded the bucket hooks on, I ground the paint of with a wire wheel on a 4.5" angle grinder. I was darn near sitting on the grinder and it still took a while. I've never seen paint like that.

/ My John Deere had a PIP!! #10  
Plus, that paint is crazy durable. When I welded the bucket hooks on, I ground the paint of with a wire wheel on a 4.5" angle grinder. I was darn near sitting on the grinder and it still took a while. I've never seen paint like that.

I know to Deere Harvester works in East Moline Ill, they dip the parts completely in paint and then bake it on. I would assume the loader buckets are the same.

Edit: how are you guys donig the Quote box?? I tried copy and paste and obviously it didn't work