My Journey with Cub Mowers......2185 to GT-2544 to XT3-GSE

/ My Journey with Cub Mowers......2185 to GT-2544 to XT3-GSE #1  

jjrphs

Tractor
Cub Cadet GT-2544
I just traded for a new XT3-GSE about a month ago after taking in my GT-2544 for a problem with the hydrostatic drive unit. This is my 3rd Cub and so far I am completely pleased and consider it my best Cub yet.

My 1st Cub was a 96 model 2185 with 48" deck......a good solid mower with the steel 3-piece front bodywork. Unfortunately, the front bodywork design predisposed it to collecting grass and debris under it near the exhaust. One day while mowing, the collection of dry/dead grass under the front bodywork was ignited to flame by the muffler and burned a pin-hole in the fuel filter causing a gas-fueled fire.....it was a miracle I was able to save the mower with damage limited to a burned plug wire / coil assembly and scorched bodywork. Later, with approx 250 hrs on the machine the bearing(s) in the PTO clutch failed / seized. The 2185 did not have the "mow in reverse" feature, so it might have been all the disengaging / reengaging of the PTO which was responsible for its demise. When faced with the bill for PTO clutch replacement versus what the dealership allowed on the trade up to a GT2544......I took the GT-2544.

I traded for the GT-2544 in 2007. One thing which was surprising to me at the time was the MSRP of the GT-2544 was actually less than the 10 yr old 2185 I had traded for it. The front bodywork was of a different design.....which I liked. The quality and execution of the new front bodywork was rather poor IMO. It was a good mower.....but I never really "felt" it was built to the same standard of quality as my previous 2185. One quality issue which came up in the first couple of years was replacement of the hood.....the quality of its attachment to the pivot frame was poor and it cracked / broke in short order and was replaced under warranty. I never felt the quality of cut with the GT-2544 was as good as the 2185.....it tended to leave "gaps" and I would end up doing a lot 2nd passes. Fuel consumption was quite a bit more with the higher HP rated engine. Again, it was a decent enough mower which gave me 380 hrs of relatively trouble-free service. I had a couple issues with it this year......1st it began to immediately shut down upon start-up. This was traced back to the ignition switch "run" position not energizing the carb (after-fire) solenoid. Easy fix to replace ignition switch. 2nd, the hydrostat began to become "mushy," vibrate...like it was cavitating and would not pull even a small incline. With the hydrostat issue, I took it in to the dealer for a diagnosis. Surprisingly, the technician said it as a simple matter of pedal adjustment and replacement of the pedal bushings. I didn't and still don't completely believe the hydrostat issue was that simple and that I would not have future problems......so, I decided to negotiate another trade with the dealer for the XT3-GSE with a 48" fabricated deck.

I've had the XT3-GSE with 48" fabed deck for about a month now. Features I wanted on my new mower that I haven't enjoyed before are the power steering (electric) and power deck lift (also electric). I REALLY like both! After having a 48" deck on my 1st Cub, I wanted to go back to the larger deck.......I would have considered a stamped deck, but it's not currently offered in the 48" size and I didn't want to go larger even though it would have been cheaper in stamped. Other things I like about this mower is I think Cub finally got it right with the front bodywork (quality and convenience), I like the extended oil drain hose, the deck has a fabulous cut in comparison with to the GT-2544 -and- this mower uses less fuel......although I haven't figured out if it's just more fuel efficient -or- I'm doing a lot less 2nd passes, it turns tighter and I can actually finish sooner. The build quality is superior to both my previous Cubs, even the seating position fits me better......in a word, this mower is far more REFINED than my previous Cubs.

I don't really have any negatives at this point....although I'm still getting used to having the brake on the left side. Also, with the electric steering and deck assist.....jumping a dead battery (from a vehicle) if forbidden and voids the warranty on those electrical parts.

/ My Journey with Cub Mowers......2185 to GT-2544 to XT3-GSE #2  
How are you liking the Cub? I had a 2165 I purchased new in '94,and the PTO clutch went on me,$200+,but I was able to install myself. I even had that safety switch disconnected so I could mow in reverse,as I figured that was going to put alot of wear and tear on parts,but still the PTO clutch. It had over 750hrs when I sold it. For the new one you have,I'd never use a vehicle to jump a small battery like a mower battery-I'd go with one of those small battery chargers that have a start engine feature.

/ My Journey with Cub Mowers......2185 to GT-2544 to XT3-GSE
How are you liking the Cub?

I've had the XT3-GSE for 2 months now and YES, I love it......and still feel out of the 3 Cubs I've owned, it is the best one. Power, efficiency, cut and refinement......IMO, my XT3-GSE is superior to my previous 2185 & GT2544. I don't seem to have any of the issues you continue to complain about with your Cub.

As far as jumping a lawn mower battery with a car......it's a perfectly safe practice as long as the CAR IS NOT RUNNING. I've done it more times than I can count over the years. I noted in my post that Cub voids the warranty on the electric steering and deck lift if the mower has been jumped from a car......I guess they've had too many claims from folks jumping their mower from a running vehicle and burning up those electrical components.

/ My Journey with Cub Mowers......2185 to GT-2544 to XT3-GSE #4  
I've had the XT3-GSE for 2 months now and YES, I love it......and still feel out of the 3 Cubs I've owned, it is the best one. Power, efficiency, cut and refinement......IMO, my XT3-GSE is superior to my previous 2185 & GT2544.

I realize this thread is over a year old but just wanted an update on your XT3-GSE; my 13 yr. old 2166 is still mowing but I'm looking hard at the XT3- GS model that doesn't have all the bells & whistles. Thanks, RP.

/ My Journey with Cub Mowers......2185 to GT-2544 to XT3-GSE
Still loving my XT3-GSE...for all the reasons I cited above. Not a single problem or issue...maintenance by the book. I still love the electric power steering and deck lift. The 48" fab deck has the best cut and this Cub is the most fuel efficient of the 3 I've owned. In my opinion, go ahead and buy with confidence.

/ My Journey with Cub Mowers......2185 to GT-2544 to XT3-GSE #6  
Still loving my XT3-GSE...for all the reasons I cited above. Not a single problem or issue...maintenance by the book. I still love the electric power steering and deck lift. The 48" fab deck has the best cut and this Cub is the most fuel efficient of the 3 I've owned. In my opinion, go ahead and buy with confidence.

jjrphs thank you very much for responding. There are no dealers in MS that I have found that ever stocked or sold an XT3 due to the cost and what they perceive as a limited market for a heavy duty shaft drive lawn tractor that will not accommodate a sleeve hitch. I have talked to our new in-town local dealer, as well as, the larger dealer 40 miles away where I had purchased my shaft drive Cub new in 2003 and both seem a little reluctant to give me a firm quote due to not having a track record in their shop for the XT3's performance and reliability. They only stock/sell the XT2 so I have been reluctant to commit because I will have to order one sight unseen with no test drive then hope for the best; therefore your input has been very beneficial to me. Thanks again, Rudy.

/ My Journey with Cub Mowers......2185 to GT-2544 to XT3-GSE #7  
Would agree with your opinion I had a HDS2155 ,good machine move on and up I thought to a GT2550 my comparative assessment of these machines is Cub went backwards

/ My Journey with Cub Mowers......2185 to GT-2544 to XT3-GSE #8  
Would agree with your opinion I had a HDS2155 ,good machine move on and up I thought to a GT2550 my comparative assessment of these machines is Cub went backwards

I was afraid that the bean counters would start cheapening the quality of Cub's line but I'm still very interested in the XT3 GS model. The dealer I purchased my 2166 from was still on the fence about ordering any XT3's for their spring inventory when we last talked so this makes me even more uneasy. I had also looked at the John Deere X570 to use the small Brinley plows, discs, etc. which I kept from a Snapper 1855 tractor my dad had for a small garden but just can't justify spending another $1600.00 at my age. Also the Cub is available with a 42" twin blade deck like my present Cub where as the JD had a 3 blade 48" deck which is extra blades to keep up plus added weight of the deck to negotiate with when servicing. Oh well, I hope my trusty old shaft drive 2166 will hold up several more years before the engine and/or tranny bites the dust.