My latest build--Mobile Chicken Plucker/Scalder

/ My latest build--Mobile Chicken Plucker/Scalder #1  

Stranger

I just finished up this build for a local gentleman who desired a Plucker and Scalder set up. Luckily our compensation agreement allowed me some 'freedom' in the design and functionality.
So I came up with this...

Attachments

• IMG_1624.resized.JPG
    IMG_1624.resized.JPG
    334.8 KB · Views: 2,572
  • IMG_1629.resized.JPG
    IMG_1629.resized.JPG
    323.6 KB · Views: 2,281
   / My latest build--Mobile Chicken Plucker/Scalder #2  
Wow, that is quite the setup! Is the plan to rent it out or offer a plucking service? We share a drum plucker with a neighbor but it tends to be a chicken skinner if you try to do tricky areas with it.
I read tub pluckers are better somehow but I'd like to see one work in person. We just had the gizzards for lunch from a couple meat birds who legs were starting to give out, so having any plucker sure helps the processing become less of a chore.
You'll have to post some videos of your machine in action.

/ My latest build--Mobile Chicken Plucker/Scalder
I am going to assume the buyer will eventually offer a service.
I don't think he really expected this as the finial product because he had originally came to me with a rough idea of two separate units.
Tubs do a really good job but as with any plucking you need to have your scald correct!. This unit will maintain the water temp within 3 degrees of the set temp. For this application 143-144F works out perfect with 3 chickens dunking at a 6 time per min rate. You can knock out 3 chickens about every 2 min :licking:
I'll get some video and post it once I get to a higher speed connection.

Attachments

• IMAG0139-resize.jpg
    IMAG0139-resize.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 621
  • IMAG0143-resize.jpg
    IMAG0143-resize.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 686
Last edited:
   / My latest build--Mobile Chicken Plucker/Scalder #5  
Did you build, or buy the plucker?

Aaron Z

/ My latest build--Mobile Chicken Plucker/Scalder #7  
Just helped with 17 chickens, by hand... this would have been *really* nice!!! Are you going to into production with these? :laughing:

Looks like you used a water heater? How long do the birds stay in the Plucker? (other then 'when they're done' :)) Pretty cool setup... :thumbsup:

I build a lot of custom things... If someone wanted one of these or similar I'd build another. It takes less than 2 min for the whole process; a little over a 1min for the scald and around 20 sec to pluck...3 at a time.

The scald tank is made from a water heater but I changed out the controls to something more reliable and accurate. I used some ideas from others I found around the internet. Its all propane powered including the on-board generator.
Just hook up water and your in business!!

/ My latest build--Mobile Chicken Plucker/Scalder #9  
Stranger, I'm a bit dense. When you say:
" 3 chickens dunking at a 6 time per min rate", just what do you mean? We use a washtub over a turkey fryer burner and go for 142 to 143F; so I'm trying to envision your dunking protocol.

Btw, I'm using a homemade drum plucker; would love a tub plucker someday. Great build!

Stranger, I'm a bit dense. When you say:
" 3 chickens dunking at a 6 time per min rate", just what do you mean? We use a washtub over a turkey fryer burner and go for 142 to 143F; so I'm trying to envision your dunking protocol.

Btw, I'm using a homemade drum plucker; would love a tub plucker someday. Great build!

Three chickens are clipped onto a carriage that raises and lowers 6 times a min. It's also moving slow enough to do test pulls of feathers to see if their ready for plucking. Here is a pic showing the whole scalding section to give you a better idea.

Attachments

• IMAG0138-resize.jpg
    IMAG0138-resize.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 1,062