My Little Bolens Loader

/ My Little Bolens Loader
Thanks, I signed up. I lost all of the bolens groups I did belong to. Lee

/ My Little Bolens Loader #13  
Just one of the things I have been making on the days when you don't feel like doing the things I should be doing.
Been playing with it for about 4 weeks off and on. Still have some welding to do on it and have to pull the tractor apart to get all the bolts in.
I'm going to use 1.5" Hyd. cyl. It would look better with 1" but haven't found any yet. The Bolens has Hyd on it but I'm going to put a small pump on the front of the eng. The pump on the Bolens also feeds the trans and don't want to cut it short. I'm not going to be able to get the Cyls right away because of cash flow.
The Bolens was a round tube frame and I made it sq frame. It still has the engine that came with it, I did put O.S. piston & rings in it. I run it a lot, most of the time everyday. My shop is away from the house and I use it to go to and from. Over look the rust and the dirt on the bolens it has to come all apart and well be painted then. Also maybe a new engine.

Lee

Nice!! I love the custom QA too. Keep us posted, paint or no paint. Projects like this get my blood flowing!!

/ My Little Bolens Loader #14  
You have a good start on a very functional loader. Like you said... it doesn't have to lift a ton. That job is for larger equipment.
The upright mounts where the loader frame attaches......... did you cut one side of a rectangle tube for the quick tach mount to slide into ? Looked pretty well engineered from a distance. Can you describe this area and how it was constructed ? Nice work. jr

Here are 2 more pictures that you can see the uprights a little better.
The part that bolts to the tractor, " I should be saying lawn tractor" are made from 2 1/2" X 2 1/2" tubing about 1/8" thick. With 3" X 3/8" flat at the frame. Right now the I only have 1/4" holes in the plate, 5 holes per plate, in the end they well be 3/8 or 1/2" bolts not sure yet. I have kickers to put on also and a brace from the upright at the top to the front. The rod welded thru it is 1" solid.
The 2nd half is made from 2" X 6" tube and the half circle is a 1" I.D. pipe with about 3/16" wall. That I cut alittle off of the C/L. The hole up from that I just used 3/4" black pipe. All the other pins well be 3/4". As you can see I left in part of the 2X6 until I get the cyls. I don't know for sure were the hole well go for the cyl. That hole well have to have some bushing welded on each side, and a another big half circle behind the end of the cyl. Hope that makes it strong enough?
The reason I didn't paint it when I put the frame on was because I knew I was ging to make the loader and it all has to come back apart. well paint everything at one time. I have to stop on it for awhile, working on getting my shop all done on the inside right now.

Lee

I said the uprights I used 2 1/2" X 2 1/2 " that should be 2 1/2" X 4" .

Sorry about that.

/ My Little Bolens Loader #17  
A very nice job Lee...but it is the clean shop that impresses me. If I had a project like that going on my workshop would be utter chaos!

/ My Little Bolens Loader #18  
Hi Lee, looks like a very nice project. I have a Bolens 1455 with a Johnson 14 FEL which appears to be very similar to what you are building.

You mentioned you plan to put a pump in front, undoubtedly driven off the front PTO takeoff. I had to replace the pump when I fixed up the 1455 and discovered it is very difficult to obtain a CCW (which is how the PTO rotates) pump these days. I finally found one that works well from Twin Hydraulics (TWIN HYDRAULICS-Great Prices on Hydraulic Power Units, Honor Pumps & Hose Assemblies.). It is model 1AG2U09L, item no. 5017, and costs about $ 121 + $ 16 or so in shipping. You might want to check it out as an option for the pump.

Have some photos of my Bolens 1455 on my blog at RPI projects. You might have to wade through a lot of blogs about various repair jobs underway but they are there. It has the FEL, a mower deck (currently down for repairs) and a tiller.

Take care and best wishes.

!st I'm sorry for late reply, but just moving around in here and see it again.
Where I stand right now is, I have all the Cyls now and paint on the loader. The loader is all done just have to put kicker from sub frame to the front somewhere.
What is holding me up now, is a newer engine. I'm still running the old Wisc HH120 with the starter/gen. Most parts for it are NLA, but I run it everyday 7 days a week and it just keeps going. TimeX must of had something to do with making this engine.
As far as the hyd pump, I have a small one that well be hooked to the engine drive shaft pully by way of a couple where the battery was, battery is in the front of the engine now.
I'm not sure if I said in this thread or not that I took out the round frame and put in a tube frame, also made it 4" longer.
Sure wish I could find a engine at a good price. It seems like when I find one the cash is not there and when I have cash there is no engines around. Oh well just set and wait until the timing is right. That's the way it is when your on that old timers pay roll (SS).