My LOGSPLITTER Build

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build #11  
LD1 looks dang fine! what you going to put to hold the pusher plate down against the beam? the one homemade one I used way back when had a triangle plate (bent 90 on bottom) bolted to the pusher plate on each side. there were 6 or 8 1/2" bolts holding that to the welded up pusher plate which had 3/8" x 2" plate bars welded to the upright and the horizontal pusher.

One thing it didn't have was the driven part! What about using the 8.8 rear axle and the motor mounted to the pinion and a chain drive to the motor & old pinion yoke to drive the rear end. could use a belt and pop belt off to tow it down road.. drop in a spool into the rear end or weld up gears cheap to make it full posi...

Mark

Mark

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build
LD1 looks dang fine! what you going to put to hold the pusher plate down against the beam?

Look close at the first picture of post #8. It is a piece of 2x2x3/8 angle bolted to the side of the 1" thick base of the pusher.

One thing it didn't have was the driven part! What about using the 8.8 rear axle and the motor mounted to the pinion and a chain drive to the motor & old pinion yoke to drive the rear end. could use a belt and pop belt off to tow it down road.. drop in a spool into the rear end or weld up gears cheap to make it full posi...

Mark

Mark

I think it would take some serious gear reduction to make it go at a walking pace. But it is a thought. I do have some 60:1 gearboxes....

Just no good way to couple and uncouple. At least not like just pushing a lever and moving it a few feet.

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build #13  
Your off to a Great start. At the rate your going you'll be splitting in no time. Is there any reason you opted to go without a 4 way adjustable wedge? I don't split, I'm just trying to learn something as I go.

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build
A 4-way adjustable would have been more hydraulics and more money. And usually you see the 4-way with 5" or so cylinders for the power.

I am going with the smaller 4" cylinder for speed. And as fast as this thing is going to be, I dont need a 4-way.

And I dont like a fixed 4-way either. Sure, it makes things faster, but it also makes more waste. IE: if you have the "wings" of the 4-way set at 6", and split a 7" round, you are making two good pieces and two little pieces of kindling. A fixed 4-way only works well on a certain size piece of wood. On everything else, they are not worth it.

We did make a slip-on 4-way for the other splitter. And I may consider something like that.

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build
Here is a shot of the cylinder base mount.

IMG_20140317_205548_557.jpgIMG_20140317_205601_733.jpg

Done up the same way as the wedge.

Hope to get alot done tomorrow. Looking to get the axle drug in and beam mounted to it. Then work on the motor, pump, and tank mounting. That is going to be about all I can get done then can get some measurments and get some fittings and hoses made.

If things go well, I may get around to making the table too. I think I have enough 11ga left over from my snow-plow re-skinning project.

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build
I didnt notice this earlier, but in the background of the last picture of post 8 and last pic of post #9 you can also see my hydraulic resivoir. Right behind the blue bucket to the right of the stove.:thumbsup:

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build #17  
You may want to watch your mounting for that pump. Northern says the 22gpm Haldex like I have on mine is horizontal only. No idea if this is correct, but Im really curious because I have a nice cast iron industrial vertical shaft Briggs that id like to use for more power instead of the horizontal Subaru that is on there now.

You can run a motor off a 2 stage pump. Wallenstein does it on their processors for the winch I believe.

There was a company doing a drive around splitter. I thought it was pretty cool. It was chain drive with a motor and a seat. Interesting concept. if I find a link Ill post it.

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build
Thats pretty cool.

Looks to be about the speed I am going to get with the 22gpm and 4" cylinder:thumbsup:

I thought about using the tractor that the motor is coming off of, and attaching the splitter beam to the rear, mounting the oil tank up front to offset the weight, and using the electric clutch that drives the mower to turn the pump on and off. Thought it would be pretty cool to do that. But then it couldnt be towed. and the frame/axles of the little "weedeater" lawnmower are pretty pathetic. I dont think it would like the additional ~400# of steel off the back, and #300 of tank and oil off the front. Not to mention the shock loads of tossing big pieces up there.

/ My LOGSPLITTER Build #20  
Interesting project. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress as you go along.

Eddie