My Menard's entry door freezes to jamb!!!

/ My Menard's entry door freezes to jamb!!! #21  
beenthere said:
Not as I understand it. :)

I think the condensation is on the inside of the door caused by the outside cold temp and the moisture-laden inside air.
Outside cold air holds very little moisture, thus the reason the Relative Humidity of cold outside air is usually quite high. Inside warm air holds a lot of moisture and thus condenses when hitting the cold air that can't hold any more moisture.

Beenthere, I have one of those inside/outside weather stations. Outside sensor is under an overhang outside my office 80 feet away. Inside sensor sits on a Maple cabinet in the sitting room. It's a clear night, starry sky, outside temp 0oC and RH is 89%. inside air temp is 22oC and RH is 33%. Inside RH will increase by morning once the log stove dies but will be no more than 50%, a lot drier than outside air.

/ My Menard's entry door freezes to jamb!!! #22  
inveresk
That is normal and correct.

But remember it is RH (relative humidity) being measured. Not the amount of moisture in the air. RH is a % of what moisture the air can hold at a particular temperature. Cold air cannot hold as much moisture as warm air. Above the saturation point, the moisture will condense out.
Much like a cold front comes through and causes rain.
The cold air from outside contacts the warm air inside and condenses the water that freezes on the door. It is why windows have ice on the inside, not the outside in cold winter. It is why insulation gets damp in the winter time if inside moisture laden air comes in contact with the cold outside air. The reverse can happen in the summer if the air conditioner makes cold inside air that causes condensation on the outside of the windows when the warm humid outside air hits the cold.

:)

/ My Menard's entry door freezes to jamb!!! #23  
We have to agree to differ on this one, beingthere. I think what's happening is no different to the outside air condensing on any cold surface in winter - the car, frozen dew on the grass, airplane wings icing up at high altitude, ships rigging in the arctic, etc.. The door is insulated so is cold on the outside face, has weatherstripping (so can't be subject to much, if any, air leakage). The outside door face is functioning as a large cool plane on which moisture in the outside air can condense then freeze. I think it would happen even if the house were unheated and unoccupied.

Either way, I hope the various suggestions in the thread help effect a cure.

/ My Menard's entry door freezes to jamb!!! #24  
The air leakage is part of the problem. If the weatherstrip wasn't leaking the moisture wouldn't be freezing. Beenthere is right on this one.
As far as the OP's problem....get rid of the INDOOR humidity and the problem will go away.
I've been doing construction and remodeling for 35 years. People over using humidifiers is a huge problem (for them, but really good for business).

/ My Menard's entry door freezes to jamb!!! #25  
The air leakage is part of the problem. If the weatherstrip wasn't leaking the moisture wouldn't be freezing. Beenthere is right on this one.
As far as the OP's problem....get rid of the INDOOR humidity and the problem will go away.
I've been doing construction and remodeling for 35 years. People over using humidifiers is a huge problem (for them, but really good for business).

You've been in construction nearly as long as me (43 years in the industry) and we're still of opposite opinions. That's the construction industry for you. :):)

/ My Menard's entry door freezes to jamb!!! #26  
You've been in construction nearly as long as me (43 years in the industry) and we're still of opposite opinions. That's the construction industry for you. :):)

You weren't smart enough to get out either. :D

/ My Menard's entry door freezes to jamb!!! #27  
At 61, I'd make a poor apprentice at anything else. I'll stick with it until I retire - if I ever do.