My Mitsubishi 372 won't start.

/ My Mitsubishi 372 won't start.
I'm going to test the glow plugs and compression tomorrow. I'm fairly certain the plugs are good,but i'll find out tomorrow for sure.

/ My Mitsubishi 372 won't start. #12  
Well I looked at my book and the injector pump is driven off a cam lobe, Guess I'm late to the party on that one...
but the manual does say that there are adjustment shims that need to be placed between the pump and the mounting face. The distance from the base circumference of the cam (not the top of the lobe) to the top of mounting face should be between 75.95 and 76.05 millimeters. Changing the shim thickness between the mounting face and the pump will result in changing the timing of the pump. So perhaps while your pump timing is close it might still be off.

It would still be good to know your compression though...

/ My Mitsubishi 372 won't start. #13  
The GOO as you call it shouldn't affect the compression too much, though you certainly want to change the oil once you know it will start. Why do you think you have no or low compression? Do you think you have the pump timed correctly now?
Jim

The GOO is more a figure of speech. While the crank case and upper end were (unknowingly) filled with Diesel, I was trying to start the engine, thus washing all the GOO away. the tractor sat for almost 2 years before i bought it. (lessen #56, never buy an engine that don't run.) I can only assume the fuel pump went then and the owner parked it. he died and I bought it from his wife. "I have no idea what condition it's in." she said. the price was good and I'm still not out. Now I'm thinking the rings were washed, then sat outside for 2 years, the rings are probably and not sealing as they should. I'll be testing in a couple of hours.as for the pump, this one works off a cam, so timing is not an issue. The shims are factory, and I was very careful with them, re-installed properly.

Exhaust smoke in the crank case,,, hmmm.

I know all of you are sitting on the edge of your chairs in anticipation of the compression test results. Well I'm sorry to report that there was not enough time left at the end of the day, and today is my Grand-daughter eighth Birthday. I want to take her to play miniature golf. maybe I can get to the tractor tomorrow.

I made it to my tractor today. bought a compression tester at Advance Auto Parts. looking at the packaging I saw what looked like the right size threads. But it didn't thread into the hole that the glow plug came out of. they really looked the same. so i took the plug and adapter to Ace Hardware. it turned out the threads are both 10 mm. but the plug is 1.25, the adapter is 1.00. no adapter for the adapter. ok, no problem, lets try the injector. back to the house, no threads for the injector, it's held on with a flange. so no compression test, returned tester. But i did crank some more on the tractor and it sputtered a little, then died. Must be air. tried to bleed at the injectors some more, I noticed Dirty fuel....Must be cleaning fluid left from the rebuild job. trying now to purge fuel,it is getting cleaner, the tractor is trying to start but not quite. am recharging the battery and letting the starter cool down. What a day.

After the starter cooled down and the battery recharged, I cranked some more, and some more, and more and, more. It finally started, putting slowly at first and loads of Bluish smoke, I mean it was a lot. I tried to idle it down and it died. the neighbor across the street gave a cheer. I was really delighted, my wife came out laughing and cheering the Dog was barking. in all it was a great time. I let it cool down for an hour and started it again, albeit, I had to crank it for almost 2 mins. but it started and smoked a lot more. Ran it for 5 mins or so then shut it down. continued this way for the rest of the day, smoke got less and cranking got easier. now it starts in 30 seconds and a little puff or two of black smoke then clear.

/ My Mitsubishi 372 won't start. #19  
My father in law had a MT372 and I am trying to start it. Can anyone tell me starting instructions? I have tried and it almost starts.
Thank you for any help