Posthole Digger my new post hole digger

/ my new post hole digger #1  

OkeeDon

Veteran Member
Nothing special about my new post hole digger unless someone happens to be looking for a little basic info.

I bought a Leinbach Model 7400 from Corriher Implements in Newton, NC (they advertise on this forum). It came with a 9" auger and I added a 6" and a 12" auger. The Phd with one auger was $400; the additional augers were $80 and $100, for a total of $580. I happened to be on my way to our cabin in the northwestern corner of NC, so I was able to swing through Newton (near Hickory) and pick them up, saving freight. The also had me sign a statement that I was picking it up for delivery out of state, saving me the NC tax. Florida has a Use Tax, and I'll declare the purchase and pay the Use Tax, Real Soon Now, when I get a round Tuit.

Attachments

• 726533-phd1.jpg
    726533-phd1.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 669
   / my new post hole digger
The folks at Corriher assured me it would fit on my TC18, but I don't think they've actually tried it. When I first mounted it, the 3 point hitch would not lift it high enough for the auger to clear the ground (this picture is after I had it modified). We knew it would work because we used a come-along to lift it a bit higher, positioned it where we wanted a hole, and let it down, first with the come-along, then with the 3ph control. But, I had to figure a way to get it higher when lifted. The problem is simply that that TC18 is a small tractor, the wheels are a bit smaller than most, and the 3ph is simply closer to the ground than larger tractors.

Attachments

• 726539-phd2.jpg
    726539-phd2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 538
Leinbach and others make a special model for compact tractors, but Corriher did not have them, and the other places I found were more expensive and further away.

So, I did some measuring, and found that if I extended the length of the yoke that actually does the lifting by about 4", it would lift the auger with more than enough clearance. I took the yoke to a local fabrication shop, and they removed the factory angles at the bottom of the tube and welded on longer angles, then redrilled the holes for the category 1 pins. The holes are now 4" lower than it was originally, so the back of the boom lifts almost 10" higher.

Attachments

• 726542-phd3.jpg
    726542-phd3.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 447
So far, so good, The auger has more than enough clearance, and the boom can be lowered enough to bury the gearbox, so there is no limitation on the depth. Some of the models for compact tractors sacrifice the depth of the hole with a shorter auger in order to fit; I didn't want that compromise if it wasn't necessary. The modification seems to be strong enough, but if I see it bending, I'll take it back and have the sides reinforced.

The modification cost $102.50 including tax, so my total investment is now $682.50 for the phd and 3 augers, still less than other brands/locations.

Florida sand is extremely easy to bore, with no rocks or other impediments, the toughest thing I'll come up against are roots. So, I didn't need the assurance of buying one of the supposedly heavier-duty brands. I haven't heard anyone complaining about the Leinbach units in any conditions, regardless.

We'll use the 6" auger for 4"x4" posts and 3" round fence posts; the 9" auger for 7" - 8" round corner posts, and the 12" auger for landscape planting. My health will not let me dig with a shovel or use a manual phd or wrestle a gas-auger, so this purchase was easily justified.

Attachments

• 726548-phd4.jpg
    726548-phd4.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 424
   / my new post hole digger #5  
OkeeDon,
Glad you got it to work for you. I recently bought the leinbach 7400JR model for my bx. It worked with out the modification. Just wanted to let others know what the model was that fits the smaller tractors.

/ my new post hole digger #6  
You can buy "short" augers. Instead of the 42" or so standard auger length, we have one that is about 32 or 36". No problems even with 3pt hitch that doesn't go up that much. BobG in VA

/ my new post hole digger #7  
My impression is its the curvature of the boom pole that makes or breaks it on smaller compacts.....If you look at the link, you will see the aggressive curve on the pole

I have a Green mfg or also known as Greenline. I use it on my JD 4100 (clone to the 4110 for reference) and it fits perfectly with a 42" auger ....the model is a EM5000

They have samller models for the smaller compacts - like a 2210 or BX series and it will fit those as well
Pricing at the time was good and competitive, the unit is well made along with the auger having replacable teeth

Green MFG

/ my new post hole digger #8  
I had never tried my old SpeeCo(TSC) post hole digger on my TC18 until 2 weeks ago. My wife came home and asked if I could dig 40 or so holes for a co-worker. I didn't even know if it would fit on the TC18. It fit pretty good and had about 4-6" of clearance with a standard length auger. I tried a few test holes no problem. Didn't even get to go over to his house and punch holes, his neighbor did it /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

So, a PHD from TSC will fit a TC18 as well.

/ my new post hole digger #9  
Don,

Leinbach is just up the road about 45 minutes from me. They make just about anything 3ph related. You could put a strap on the unit to hold the auger up (pulled towards tractor) and out of the way a little can't you? That would give you a little more clearence when traveling.

Fig

<font color="blue"> You could put a strap on the unit to hold the auger up (pulled towards tractor) and out of the way a little can't you? That would give you a little more clearence when traveling. </font>

We actually tried that, with a tie-down strap at first and later a come-along. It lifted it high enough for travel, but it was a real bear letting it down and pulling it up for each hole. I expect to use it first for replacing over 60 fence posts, and later for planting a lot of shrubs and small trees. In order to be efficient, I have to be able to back up to the hole location, drill, pull up, and move to the next location without leaving my seat. My son-in-law will be "planting" the fence posts behind me and tamping in the holes; my wife will help me in the same way with the plants.