My new tractor is gonna need some R1's.....

/ My new tractor is gonna need some R1's..... #1  

General Lee

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota, L4400, BX1870
I have a B3200 w/ R4's and mostly use it in the woods. Well, the soil is soft and if it rains a lot then its can be sloppy. The R4's aren't really cuttin it. I couldn't even pull a 15 foot hickory tree across the ground w/out spinning in a little mud . The tires filled with mud and that was all she wrote.

Anyway......I'm not complaining, but I think R1's will better suit my needs. Anyone know the average price for a set of 12.4-16 and 7-12's. Every site I visit I don't see any prices

* I will admit, I am a new tractor owner and operator so inexperience may play a role in this decision

/ My new tractor is gonna need some R1's..... #2  
R1's would work much better for what you are doing. I have R4's and am happy with them but I don't use my tractor in the conditions you describe. I have owned R1's on other tractors and they give much better traction in loose or muddy soil.

/ My new tractor is gonna need some R1's..... #3  
R4's are better for rough terrain, or asphalt, and normally have higher weight ratings. R1's are historically for farm work, better traction in loose soil. R3's are for low compaction, better for yard work..

In dry conditions all will work okay for many jobs. I had R3's on an earlier tractor and they were okay until it rained... it got iffy even on slight inclines (slippery) terrible in the mud (for me anyway) I changed that tractor to R4's and it was good for what I do/did, clearing woods in rough rocky conditions.

I leave it in 2wd until I need the extra traction.. and then only to get it out of trouble... just the way I use my machine. If it's muddy I find something else to do.;)

As far as price..When I bought R4's it cost me about $1000.00 for a set of 12.4-16's and 23x8.50-14's, R1's are slightly less. The rims will run maybe $800 or more for the 4 of them. Note: the pricing for rims is a guess based on what I've read and what I was told when searching a few years ago.

/ My new tractor is gonna need some R1's.....
As far as price..When I bought R4's it cost me about $1000.00 for a set of 12.4-16's and 23x8.50-14's, R1's are slightly less. The rims will run maybe $800 or more for the 4 of them. Note: the pricing for rims is a guess based on what I've read and what I was told when searching a few years ago.

Good Googley Moogley!! $$$ So I will need new rims to go with the set of R1's? I guess I can figure about $1500-2000 to change over?

/ My new tractor is gonna need some R1's..... #5  
I have seen some comment on using chains in mud for traction..

maybe that might be cheaper if you only need that extra traction on a limited basis...

J

/ My new tractor is gonna need some R1's..... #6  
Yoou need to figure out which tractors share your rims/tires. Then get on Ebay and craigslist looking for someone getting rid of a set. Messicks some times has sets they are selling. You might try an add on Craigslist to try to find someone to trade.

/ My new tractor is gonna need some R1's..... #7  
I have seen some comment on using chains in mud for traction..

maybe that might be cheaper if you only need that extra traction on a limited basis...

J

All the log skidders used in logging that I have seen have had chains on them. Even in the warm months. I have seen these skidders go up hills that a human couldn't stand up on. The skidder drivers would half walk, half fall, and half crawl down the hill to hook the cables to the logs. A rough way to make a living. They have my respect. The skidders had R1's with chains on them.

/ My new tractor is gonna need some R1's.....
   / My new tractor is gonna need some R1's..... #10  
There are some rears on ebay for 250