my new tractor- manual vs hydro

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #41  
Re: my new tractor manual vs hydro

<font color=blue>had a friend that ran a kubota on one</font color=blue>

But which Kubota? Kubota has some that I think would handle most any baler./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif But I agree. I think the manual for the Gehl round baler that I used called for a MINIMUM of 50hp, but I sure wouldn't have wanted to use it on a tractor that small. I only used it behind two different tractors; an 85hp Oliver and I've forgotten the model of the John Deere, but it was an air-conditioned cab model of at least 100hp.

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #42  

There are some big Kubotas out there.Side by side any John Deere or New Holland I am sure they could do whatever the other brand has to offer and vice versa.

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #43  

yep i did but only once, when the tractor was new to me i wanted to stop quick so i stepen on the hst pedal by mistake, brake pedals are right next to it but i got the hst instead. no majior dammage except to my ego and one piece of siding./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif but since then i have gotten so used to hst have not done it again. i still like the hydro best.

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro

the j.d.4410 17,780 pwrshift,4x4,no loader.ouch!guess i wont go green.i guess it;s b/t the n.h.tc35 shuttle,fel,r4's,filled @ 17,800.00 or the kubota l3430hst,4x4,la513 fel,r1's,filled,h.d.bucket,removable edge @ 19,100.00.this is the deal the n.h guy wants 500.oo more for the big r1 tires ouch.might try the r4's,how much would a set[4]r1 tires and for rims cost to have a second set of tires???bws.to bad greens so expensive cant see paying 3-4k more for it??

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro

whats a rear remote?is this another option?bws

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #46  

Per the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dot.state.mn.us/equipment/contracts/tr_cpt_utl/47.pdf> MN state contracts pdf</A>

List prices for TC35 4wd tire & wheel packages

Small ags $2,195
Turfs $2,070
Industrial $1,879
Big Ags $2,636

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #47  

<font color=blue>whats a rear remote?is this another option?bws </font color=blue>

A rear remote is a hydraulic valve with outputs at the rear of the tractor. Useful for a hydraulic toplink or hydraulic angling of a rear blade, or 3pt log splitter etc.

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #48  

Bob, I respectfully disagree about the emergency situation but perhaps it's because you are not familiar with HST, particularly that on the Kubota.
HST is as good and in most situations better then brakes. Why, because when in 4WD all four wheels stay tied together in the hydraulic braking inherent in HST and engine braking. I so rarely use my brakes on HST that I know they will never need replacing (pretty much just use a parking brake when my loader and boxscraper are up and on a hill). In an emergency situation, I will always stop better then a manual tractor of which I also have and 2 more that I use on a routine basis. Why? Because it is natural to remove your foot from the HST much as it is in a car to remove it from the gas. That in and of itself will stop a HST tractor very quickly even with no brakes applied, apply the brakes and it works even better. The other reason is as I mentioned, the fact that the front and rear axle are both tied, on a manual, even in 4WD, the second you depress the clutch you just took the front and rear wheels out of the engine braking effort. This is serious when you have a bucket filled with material and really bad when you are pointed downhill and depress the clutch to change gears as engine braking is lost until your back in gear with the clutch out. On top of all that, I can immediately force the tractor into reverse even if traveling forward on my Kubota, you will not make a mistake as to which pedal to press here, there is only one and it involves the heel of ones foot to operate it. In an emergency, you will not get it mixed up with side by side pedals. Of course, even in an emergency, I don't think the side by sides will be a problem either since removing your foot just tackled the biggest task. I would like you to show the link to the website you mention where these guys mentioning bloodshed have their comments, it might be interesting for those of us with HST to see. While HST is super especially with lots of loader work, it certainly is not for everyone. You do loose power to the wheels and PTO, no doubt, to maintain a constant speed will require electronicly equipped cruise control, most of us rarely would need to be that accurate. For certain applications, having a standard gear tractor will work best, I don't argue that. It costs a little less, it uses less diesel because of the efficiency, its easier to get a speed in the 7 mph and up area that you just don't get with HST that can also do any amount of work. On the Kubota, the brakes are where most manuals have them, you won't mash down on the brakes and accidently hit the HST pedal, one goes down while the other moves forward. It won't be long and the manual clutch on the Kubotas should disappear as it so rarely gets used and is going to be more of a safety issue if anything thing since depressing it automatically removes all the benefits of hydrostatic braking. Anyway, I too am rambling and have had this discussion so many times I should just do a cut and paste from past HST VS Manaul discussions, all of which have some huge misconceptions. While my current tractor is HST, I am going to consider GST from Kubota because now my needs are mowing huge areas and I simply want to do it faster. By the way, I still feel the Kubota HST is arguably the best made/designed even though I believe the others to be good. Rat...

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #49  

<font color=blue>on a manual, even in 4WD, the second you depress the clutch you just took the front wheels out of the braking effort.</font color=blue>

Not so. The clutch doesn't have any thing to do with the brake connection with the front wheels. The brakes are on the rear axles, the rear axles connect to the tranny and the front drive comes off of the tranny which is slowed by the brakes. The clutch is between the tranny and the engine. The only thing that is disengaged when the the clutch is depressed is the engine braking.

/ my new tractor- manual vs hydro #50  

True Jerry, I was specifically refering to the engine braking via the hydraulic workings of the hydrostatic drive which work very effectively to stop a tractor with no use of the brakes on the tractor. I reread my post and understand where I was confusing. One of those I'm thinking one thing and it's coming out another way. In an "emergency situation" I assume we required immediate action even though the emergency was not described. Since simply lifting your foot off the HST pedal (no clutching is needed) as would be the case with Kubota would very effectively stop the tractor (and we still haven't even thrown the brakes in for extra stopping power if they were needed) especially in low or medium range, the emergency could be dealt with more immediately with HST then by a manual where one must first depress the clutch and remove the right foot from the throttle and then depress the brake pedals. Granted for most of us thats no big deal, but if were splitting hairs and picking the fly pooh out of the pepper. I can even instantly have my HST tractor in reverse as there is no need to stop at neutral. I routinely operate this way when moving material with the loader. Its one area where HST works very effectively.

As far as emergencys go, I tend to think more important then worrying about pedals whether its the side by side HST of JD, the floor pedal of Kubota's HST or clutches, brakes and drive mechanisms be they hydrostatic or manual (both of which I am very familiar with) is to understand the loader. It is very easy to get into a undesireable situation quickly. I think everyone should practice dropping their load to the ground immediately when the tractor starts to go. Learn what the limit of their tractor is as far as load carrying ability especially on slopes. Carry it low and if you have a box scraper, get it lower to the ground when on a slope. Most all of my tractor work is on slopes, I am very comfortable dropping the load when I start to go, its second nature but it took practice.

Perhaps the situation that required the quickest, fastest response for me was while digging around a culvert with the loader. The front wheels fell out from under me, the tractor when down fast. In a matter of a hundreth of a second my heel was on the HST pedal and all four wheels were spinning backwards holding me but not getting me out. It was a simple matter from there of lowering and pushing with the loader that I pushed myself back out. Had I had my manual tractor, I would never have had the time and the brakes would have been ineffective as I would simply have slid down the gully.

Again, let me state, there are definitely places for both transmissions. After having a HST tractor now for a little over a year (thanks to MChalkeys recommendation) and having owned and operated manuals for decades before that, I know the advantages of both. The HST tractor will require more HP to do the same amount of "push/pull" work. It will have fewer options in the 7 or 8 mph and up speed as those of us with HST know that high gear is just not powerful enough to deal with the uphill slopes that would allow us to go beyond the 7 mph speed as one might want when mowing or moving buckets of material from one distant spot to another. The advantages of HST become obvious when you use it. Its a great way to go for many folks. Either way, your going to have a machine that will do an incredible amount of work for you, especially the 4WD models. Your ability to use it when an emergency arises may have more to do with your practicing and familiarizing yourself with it then pedal placement etc., we humans are pretty adaptable. Rat