My New Yanmar 221

/ My New Yanmar 221 #31  
I understand they need to be price competitive, however, I think the greater value may come when you step-up to a sa324?

Nevertheless, the best value might be the 80 hour sc2400 I have found. One concern, it has a model 45 front snowblower which from reading here is not considered robust -- in fact it is weak!

/ My New Yanmar 221 #32  
Yes the 324 and 424 are better equipped tractors, but costs also go up.

The sb45 is not a bad blower, it was originally designed to fit the older cub super garden tractors, then modified to fit the cub 3000 series, then modified to fit the 5000 series cub and sc series.
It is not a stout blower, but for light/regular use it works well.
The other option is the sb52 blower which is a commercial HD unit, but cost 4k new......ouch.

I use a front blade with power angle for snow removal, it works great.

Depending on price, an 80 hour sc2400 would be a great tractor to have for years to come. Assuming it has a loader?

/ My New Yanmar 221 #34  
Hmmm......so loader tractor front hitch driveshaft and blower for 13k?
Price is fair maybe a tad bit high, I would shoot for 11-12k. Blower option was around 2500 new, probably adds around 1k to the value. The nice thing with that hitch is you can pick up a blade that will fit in the hitch, I know where you can find them on eBay.
Comparatively, I am selling a sc2450 tractor loader backhoe with 78 hours for 15k, and I'm including a front hitch and blade.

/ My New Yanmar 221 #35  
The SC2400 or sc2450 models I would consider superior to the 221. The 221 is the tarmac new model and is tier 4 rated. Meanwhile the sc2400 series was discontinued after 2013 and started in 2006. However there are numerous things about the sc2400 series which were considered advanced features.

Like the kubota bx series the sc2400 featured forward direction engine cooling (great feature). Also like the kubota, it had differential lock which the newer 221 does not. 24 HP engine offered great power and unlike kubota it offered twin pump capability and twin hydraulics so the front end loader could be much better operated at lower rpms with good response. And that 24 HP yanmar engine is considerably more capable than a 21.5 HP yamar engine . . Especially when you consider 2 operating gear ranges instead of 1 like the 221 has.

Then there is the 3 point hitch and more desirable position control on the sc2400 while the 221 has the more standard cheaper option of 1/4 inching.

Now why did Yanmar alter so many things on the newer model 221 that were proven and advanced benefits on the sc2400. Simple. . instead of design engineering that Yanmar does so well on the past sc2400 series and the new 324 and 424 . . Yanmar did significant customer and prospect surveys on what features should be added and not needed. And then they did the engineering. The problem is . . . prospects don't know and surveys ask a series of questions not a combination of options. If you have hills like I do . . . do you really want to have only 1 gear to choose from?

So the 221 has side by side pedals (a popular idea and a good one imo) . And it has a nice red color. And the significant surveys were done and prioritized on getting the price of the 221 attractive.

Now the 324 and 424 are nice units but bigger in size and bigger in tires. In 2015 when I was making final decisions. . A new kubota bx 2670, a new sc2400, and a new Massey gc1700 series were my final choices. I chose the gc1715 Massey because I wanted the power, the wide selection of mower deck choices, and side by side pedals with many of the other features of the sc2400. I also liked the pricing, insurance option, design fit and feel and warranty of the Massey.