My NX5510H

/ My NX5510H
I ran my flail for not quite 2 hrs the other day, mowing in the homestead area (grass height under a foot, but enough woody debris to get an idea of how that will go). I'm pretty impressed at the cut quality of the hammers. The cut is better than the RC, and I was OK with the RC's quality of cut. Spanning past the tire tracks is also a big plus. The big thing, of course, is the ability to really break up tree debris.

I can now appreciate your comment about floating over uneven parts. My ground is pretty uneven. I am finding that the width of the flail and the large rear roller really smooths things out. Scalping, so far, is almost non-existent.

Mowing around trees, something that I have a LOT of, is a lot easier with the flail, with it fully side-shifted. I was also a bit nervous about cutting into tree roots, but am, so far, finding that, even with the low cut position, that that's not happening. Something I always had to be concerned about with the RC (mitigated by having the mower height raised a bit).

I managed to snag the flail's front bumper bar on my fence backing up. Ran forward and bent it back in as I bumped past fence posts:rolleyes:

Oh, I was thinking that the flail wasn't as quiet as I was hoping (compared to the RC). Well, I was operating with my cab windows open. Duh! I really wanted to listen for problems, to get an idea of what "normal" sounds should be like. I suspect that with windows closed it'll be as quiet as I was expecting it to be, though when hitting thicker debris anything is going to make some noise.

The big test will be when I get outside the homestead area where the grass is really starting to shoot up and there's a lot of tree debris. I need to attach my grapple so I can sweep big debris away (stuff that I wouldn't want to run the RC over as well): "debris" also includes tree trunks:eek: More trees and more uneven ground; and, a lot more grass as well.

/ My NX5510H #282  
Sounds like you gave it a good workout for the first run. I am glad it is working well for you.

Small sticks and saplings or no problem for mine either but I don't know about stumps. I have hit a few rocks and so far not too bad on the hammers.

As far as the fence, yes I have come very close to taking out a board. My issue was with the speed of the side shift so I put some orifices on my hose ends to slow it down some. Without the orifice it was easy to overshoot.

Post pictures of it in action when you get time. Enjoy!

/ My NX5510H
Going out to mow with the new flail (first mowing- lots of wood debris, which is why the grapple):
GoingMowing.jpg
GoingMowing.jpg

NOTE: Not shown is the damage to a small pole shed's roof I managed to inflict from the grapple. Was dodging a tree branch and couldn't see the corner of the shed. EA "Wicked" grapple took on another meaning! I was glad to get the grapple off (done with first mowing). ALWAYS use caution when working around buildings and fencing!