My poor neighbor

/ My poor neighbor
So....

His driveway is "code" and about 10 feet wide. there is a bend there around the tree. The driver took it too tight (Lots of leaves on the ground making road edge difficult to spot). The area he sunk into is where the water line was dug in September. Yes,,,,, you guessed it. The area will be dug out in the spring and the pipe repaired (this is a line to a shop so not critical).

This all said, I think his driveway is too narrow, but I am not one to talk. We share a common "private" road a mile in length that the county refuses to take over because it is so dangerous. Our driveway is a 22 degree slope for 1000 feet. We have had plenty of heavy trucks have to back down and punch it to get up the hill.

As for pulling him out. Well, he blocked the road. Even if there was something heavy to pull at the house it would be hip deep in the mud as well. While the tow truck did not strain, it did slide back. I think the sheetrock is deceiving in weight.

But the capper is this. This delivery was 2 days late due to weather. After he got the guy out the drivers supervisor sent him home without delivering his load. Why you ask? Because he had exceeded his 60 hours driving for the week and would have been in violation. The sheetrock appeared 2 days later, and was delivered without any additional drama (except for the construction schedule being put off a week).

/ My poor neighbor
I bet that whole right set of tires was off the driveway for
quite a while, and finally the front dug in too deep.

When he got stuck he panicked. tried to drive back and slipped the back end into the soft mud as well.

/ My poor neighbor #23  
I just talked with a contractor friend of mine, he is a huge development contractor with many years. He said the driver is responsible for the cost of the towing because they make the determination if they can make the delivery or not. so the neighbor is not responsible for the cost of towing.

/ My poor neighbor #25  
I've been working in construction for about 25 years. From what I've seen, it's just about always the driver's error. I'm not knocking all drivers. There are some that can work miracles, but usually the ones who get stuck and do damage are the loser type with a lousy attitude.

/ My poor neighbor #26  
I kinda wondered if he could have got himself out with the boom on the truck...I'd have tried it;)

I would have been tempted to tray as well, but many companies have rules preventing their drivers from getting too creatative in getting themselves out. It is one thing when it is your equipment, your risk, your liability. It is another when it is someone else's.

My neighbor tells his guys to call the tow truck. He would rather pay the towing fee than having to pay for a new crane, new truck, or hospital bill when someone gets hurt.

/ My poor neighbor #27  
People will spend 40 thousand for kitchen cabinets, but the driveway is always barely big enough for their cars. And then company arrives...

/ My poor neighbor #28  
After he got the guy out the drivers supervisor sent him home without delivering his load. Why you ask? Because he had exceeded his 60 hours driving for the week and would have been in violation.

That seems odd to me...wouldn't he have exceeded his hours anyway if the delivery had been successful? Assuming the time spent not driving fooling with a stuck truck doesn't count as driving time.
I'm thinking he may have got sent home for another reason:cool:

/ My poor neighbor #29  
I kinda wondered if he could have got himself out with the boom on the truck...I'd have tried it;)

I would have been tempted to tray as well, but many companies have rules preventing their drivers from getting too creatative in getting themselves out. It is one thing when it is your equipment, your risk, your liability. It is another when it is someone else's.

My neighbor tells his guys to call the tow truck. He would rather pay the towing fee than having to pay for a new crane, new truck, or hospital bill when someone gets hurt.

I would have at least tried to move all the sheetrock to the very rear of the truck, might have unloaded the front enough and added enough traction on the rear to do it....:D