My PTO will not engage?

/ My PTO will not engage? #1  

K_Daulby

Tractor
BX 23s ,,BX 2200
Hey there Guys:

So I am not a tractor noob. I have had a BX for over 20 years. I have checked hydro oil (its fine). No it is not the seat safty switch, it still stops engine if I throw the PTO lever to engage and stand up. and no its not any lever is in a halfway position between mid or rear selection locations. No its not the lift lever either as it still raises and lowers deck.
I cut the grass with my bagger attached about 2 weeks ago, It was very hot and dusty and I ended up overheating the engine. I removed and cleaned a very dirty and clogged screen between the engine and the rad. It was very clogged with dirt and grass. once i did this and started up tractor the temp came right back down. I then put tractor away. I also went and bought a new air cleaner as it was a bit dirty as well. The next time i used the tractor, I had put the loader on and all was fine. steering was fine the loader work in all directions. the deck would raise and lower no prob. However when you throw the lever to engage the PTO nothing happens. In problem solving i have notice a push button switch on this leaver so i am not sure if this could be and electronic problem. oh and i have pulled all fuses and check continuity and all fuses were fine. also in problem solving i have selected the mid PTO, and when this is done i am able to turn the rear PTO output shaft by hand. and if i select the rear PTO, I am able to turn the mid PTO shaft by hand? can any one help??? Thanx Kevin.. its on a 2017 BX23s.

Last edited:
   / My PTO will not engage? #2  
The PTO clutch engagement is totally mechanical, the switches are for the safety system. If the hydrostat works and the PTO does not, it's either the linkage from the lever to the control spool is disconnected or the orifice in the PTO control spool is plugged.

The most common culprit for plugging the orifice is the Three Bond or silicon used to seal the castings joints.

/ My PTO will not engage?
So guys. it ends up that whitetiger was correct. the Silicon had plugged the orifice. All work done under warranty. thank God.