My R3039 Mods

/ My R3039 Mods #21  
For the hooks, and the front 2 bolts on the hitch, I used 1/2" x 3" Grade 8. The rear 2 bolts on the hitch, I used 2 of the bolts that came with Kens hooks.

Be warned when you drill... that the weld is centered front to back in the bottom of the tube. I learned the hard way!

My original plan, was to drill/tap the top hole, thread the bolt into it from the bottom up, creating a stud for the hook plate, then drop plate on, and put nut over it. I opted against it, because the nuts were too tall, and would have interfered with the chain and hook.

I know Ken urges against clamping the tube like this, but the LS tubes look pretty thick, and I couldnt see any other way of doing it that I would have been happy with.

Like my buddy says... if the hooks start to get loose, you know you lifted something too heavy!! LOL
If you are worrying about crushing the tubing, why not put a piece of wide flatbar 4" (wide enough to span the width of the hooks mounting bolts)x 1/4" thick the width of the FEL tubing underneath like a giant double washer that catches both bolts . If it extends to both edges, it would quadruple the strength of the bolted joint. For the receiver hitch maybe use 2 separate bars for each side.

/ My R3039 Mods
The major issue with making your own tube, is most square tubing has the weld to contend with. When making receiver hitches, you have to remove the weld for the hitch to slide into it.

In regards to the strength of the bucket tube, I am not that concerned, I do not think its going to be an issue honestly. I really think that if it were going to 'crush in' the bottom.... It would 'pull out' the top if it were just welded on. (if that makes sense!)

I looked at all the receiver tubes and HF does have just a plain 12" long tube with nothing on it other than the little reinforcement ring at the end but at $13 sounds like a fellow could do better just buying the stock tubing and making them himself if in the market to sell them. I don't have a clue as to how much 2x2x1/4 tubing cost per foot though, and then you have to cut to length, cut the 2.5 tubing for the reinforcement at the end, drill the hole for the pin. Maybe $13 isn't too bad after all.
It looks like the 3500# would fit nicely on a FEL and plenty strong for a CUT.

/ My R3039 Mods #23  
I looked at all the receiver tubes and HF does have just a plain 12" long tube with nothing on it other than the little reinforcement ring at the end but at $13 sounds like a fellow could do better just buying the stock tubing and making them himself if in the market to sell them. I don't have a clue as to how much 2x2x1/4 tubing cost per foot though, and then you have to cut to length, cut the 2.5 tubing for the reinforcement at the end, drill the hole for the pin. Maybe $13 isn't too bad after all.
It looks like the 3500# would fit nicely on a FEL and plenty strong for a CUT.

The HF 12" receiver tube is the one in this pic:

View attachment 228918

Also got the hook you see in it (and the pin as well) from HF. Plus you can find their 20% off coupons almost everywhere you look. This one is good till the end of the month:

20off912-aff17549.jpg

/ My R3039 Mods
Finished up the wiring for the light.

Here is a shot of the solenoid and fuse I used at the battery. This is triggered from the key, and feeds a 6 fuse fusebox I put under the dash ziptie mounted to the factory fusebox. (forgot to get a pic of that...)

2013-02-13 12.52.40.jpg

And here is the switch mounted in the dash.

2013-02-13 13.00.14.jpg

/ My R3039 Mods #25  
Here is the receiver I bought...

3500 Lb. Step Bumper Receiver

They also have this one, which has a wider mounting plate (may be better for bigger tractors)

5000 Lb. Step Bumper Receiver

I also plan to pick one of these up on my next visit to keep in it I think...

D-Ring Receiver Hitch

Kenny, the trick to finding them is to type 'receiver' into the search...

There is no way I can compete with that. I talked with my metal supplier today- they have seamless tubing made for this use, but by the time you buy it, cut it, drill it, weld it to a plate, then paint it I couldn't even do it for twice that amount. I also talked with the supplier of the hooks I use and they don't carry anything like it either.

Sorry guys, Horrible Fright it is if you want a bolt on receiver hitch.

Last edited:
   / My R3039 Mods #26  
Finished up the wiring for the light.

Here is a shot of the solenoid and fuse I used at the battery. This is triggered from the key, and feeds a 6 fuse fusebox I put under the dash ziptie mounted to the factory fusebox. (forgot to get a pic of that...)

View attachment 303093

And here is the switch mounted in the dash.

View attachment 303094

I am working on wiring and plumbing for a grapple and I used a spare fuse in the fuse block. I followed the wire from the rear of the fuse block in the wiring harness and it ended in a plug-in to the next assemble the wire just didn't exist in the next assemble only a blank opening. The plug end with the wire in it was a female and the other side was blank, so a crimped a staycon to the end of a wire and pushed it into the blank side it snapped in so I plugged the two ends to gether and walla instant wiring.

/ My R3039 Mods #27  
There is no way I can compete with that. I talked with my metal supplier today- they have seamless tubing made for this use, but by the time you buy it, cut it, drill it, weld it to a plate, then paint it I couldn't even do it for twice that amount. I also talked with the supplier of the hooks I use and they don't carry anything like it either.

Sorry guys, Horible Fright it is if you want a bolt on reciever hitch.

Horible Fright............now that's funny I don't care who you are!:cool2:

/ My R3039 Mods
I looked for one to do this with on mine, but could not locate one. What I did find, is the fuse marked 'Spare' is fully connected, and seems to control brake lights....

/ My R3039 Mods #29  
I looked for one to do this with on mine, but could not locate one. What I did find, is the fuse marked 'Spare' is fully connected, and seems to control brake lights....

No the one marked spare in mine worked out just right. :thumbsup: I love it when a plan comes together, because they so seldomly do!

/ My R3039 Mods #30  
Horible Fright............now that's funny I don't care who you are!:cool2:

Agreed.. My last experience with them would qualify.. Their customer Service is horrible..