My RC shaft....

/ My RC shaft.... #1  

TXCOMT

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 2400H
...keeps popping off my PTO shaft! I've got a Branson 2400H and a Big Bee 48" RC and this happens at least once during a day's mowing. The collar is definitely locked down when I start in the morning and I keep both the shaft and inside of the collar well lubed. The Bee isn't but a few years old and otherwise operates perfectly...of course, I know such a thing is hard to diagnose via the interwebz, but any ideas ya'll may have would be appreciated!

TXCOMT

/ My RC shaft....
Yep, I've got a spring-loaded cross pin...and it does seem pretty easy to depress; are they supposed to be pretty stiff, then?

Thanks for the link...yet one more thing I have to get at TSC!

TXCOMT

/ My RC shaft....
I'll try lubing that, too...thanks, my fellow Texan!

TXCOMT

/ My RC shaft.... #5  
TXCOMT
I guess after rereading your post about you lubing pto shaft I deleted my post stating to lube the ""telescoping sections of driveshaft"" about same instant you posted your reply.

/ My RC shaft....
TXCOMT
I guess after rereading your post about you lubing pto shaft I deleted my post stating to lube the ""telescoping sections of driveshaft"" about same instant you posted your reply.

No worries...I haven't been good about lubing much except the shaft and collar, as well as the trailing wheel. I definitely need to hit the parts you mentioned.

TXCOMT

/ My RC shaft.... #7  
Lubricating the telescoping sections of driveshaft certainly won't have any adverse affects.

/ My RC shaft.... #8  
Lubricating the telescoping sections of driveshaft certainly won't have any adverse affects.

It's supposed to be regular maintenance. If the shaft sections get sticky that could be a source of some tugging at the PTO shaft end. And along with the theme of stickiness, be sure that the shaft sections are straight: I bought a RC with a supposedly newer shaft and found that it wasn't straight (which is probably why the seller said that one of the U-joints was replaced; it was also why I ended up replacing another U-joint before I ended up replacing the entire shaft).

/ My RC shaft....
Well, guys, I've figured it out and the problem had nothing to do with lube (although I appreciate the suggestions)...turns out, one of the side links (the adjustable one, of course) wasn't set to the correct length! It had been gradually getting longer, so the RC was sagging to that side and, I believe, stressing the shaft. I feel pretty stupid assuming my dealer had snugged everything down nice and tight...as y'all can tell, I'm still trying to figure things out!

TXCOMT