My redneck fuel line repair :)

/ My redneck fuel line repair :) #1  

EddieWalker

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Several, all used and abused.
I'm calling this my redneck repair because I used a toilet water line to replace part of my fuel line.

For whatever reason, the metal tube became loose in what I'm guessing was a compression fitting. But there isn't anything on the metal tub for the nut to grab onto, and a 1/4 inch compression ring is too small, and a 3/8's compression ring was too big.

Since everything automotive and tractor is closed, I used what I had.

I also couldn't find anybody with copper crush washers, so I bought some rubber ones and nylon washers. The rubber just twisted out when I got them tight. The nylon seem to be working great!!!!

I also have a plastic through away fuel filter between my tank and the fuel pump. This is a 1998 New Holland 555E backhoe with 8,300 hours on it and an unknown amount of "junk" in the fuel tank. I've cleaned it out once, and probably should do it again one of these days.

My problem was surging, lack of idle and hard starting. It just happened a few weeks ago, so it's a mystery why that metal fuel line got like it was. I'm just happy that I found the problem!!!!

IMG_2011.JPG

/ My redneck fuel line repair :) #3  
You are going to replace the water line as soon as you can, right?

/ My redneck fuel line repair :) #4  
   / My redneck fuel line repair :) #5  
A mans got to do what a man can do.

A+ for creativity!

/ My redneck fuel line repair :)
You are going to replace the water line as soon as you can, right?
I'm going to wait and see what happens. I was surprised to see that the tubing was white PEX, or that's what it looked like when I cut it.

I'm more surprised that the vinyl washers actually worked!!!

/ My redneck fuel line repair :) #8  
Sometimes the hose is compatible with diesel and sometimes not.
Couldnt find 1/2” fuel line to temporarily bypass a formed fuel line for a test. Suspected that air was being drawn in the old line.
Used sprayer hose instead. Swelled up terrible and oozed fuel out its entire length.

/ My redneck fuel line repair :)
It ran good Sunday afternoon after I did this, but on Monday morning, I had trouble starting it. I manually pumped the fuel pump and then it started right up. I ran it for a couple hours without issue. I think it ran smoother then it has in awhile.

Now I'm wondering if I should order a new fuel pump? I have doubts on how long it will last, or if it's even an issue.

No signs of leaking, but I'll keep an eye on it, and if I see anything, I'll order the correct parts. Otherwise, I'm going to leave it like it is.