My Saturday of labor.

/ My Saturday of labor. #11  
IF IT WAS ME, as long as the walls are open already, i would change to new wire, u can do it yourself. does not seem like there shold be that much from what u say. and as far of getting junk out i did the same as u are planning(was 30 years ago tho) just backed the pick up beneath the window and threw it out into the truck, then took it to the town dump, course in those days if u were a resident of the town the cost for dumping was $0.00 . am sure not the case now. but$500 is a bit steep. for a dumpster.

/ My Saturday of labor. #12  
<font color="blue"> If the wire looks good is it best to leave alone or should I blow the budget and get it replaced?? </font>

No question that I would replace it. With everything opened up this is your best oppurtunity. I have seen old black cloth wire that does not have the third wire ground. With metal boxes that could be a problem waiting to happen. Does yours have a ground wire? If your attic is prone to critters I would also consider metal clad wire BX. Mice and squirells will chew the sheathing off the wire.

Jack

/ My Saturday of labor. #13  
Oh Lord, we've been there many times too! Just tough it out.. this too shall pass! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We've been through at least 5 of the huge dumpsters.. slowly rebuilding a 100-year-old farmhouse. Previous owner hadn't a clue what she was doing, so got family members to help her do jobs. It was awful! In the kitchen, she actually had electrical boxes hooked up on *surface* of interior walls, with the wiring running along the surface as well!

Just put the dumpster under the window, and throw the stuff out. Worked for us.

Better you than me. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sorry, just kidding.. but you do have my sympathy. Especially if you have allergies!

Bob

/ My Saturday of labor. #14  
jfh230,

You are 100% right in your advice to replace that wire, to me it appears to be 14-2 with no ground. Rewired my 54 year old farmhouse ten years ago with 12-2 grounded and upgraded the main panel from 60 amp with fuses to 200 amp with breakers. Any time you have old wiring exposed it is common sense to replace it. Wire is so cheap it is foolish not to replace anything you even suspect might be a problem.

BTW, my house had ALUMINUM boxes and the metal ears of the switches and outlets was also aluminum. To eliminate any problems down the road I replaced every single box, switch, and outlet during the rewiring. I would have hated to pay someone an hourly rate for that project but my township permits me to perform that type of work.

/ My Saturday of labor.
Well I thought I had the right answer to the wires. It is 14-2 with no ground. So I will change some but today I was tracking some wires and really got lost. Some of it is real easy but there is a line that keeps on going and going. From one light to a another light to another. As in many projects there is nothing ever real easy. Work work work....the wife better love me more when I get done. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif