My State !

/ My State ! #41  
I live about an hour north of Atlanta. There are actually some valid reasons why everything goes to crap when it snows here.

• Often when we get snow it then warms slightly so the snow starts to melt then refreezes creating plenty of ice.
  • We don't have winter tires, I'm not sure we can even buy them. Most folks have summer tires or maybe all season.
  • I've driven plenty in northern states with real snow. The snow here is different. It's like a bunch of tiny ice cubes - it does not pack and allow traction like anywhere up north I've driven.
  • We have very little equipment to deal with the roads. I for one am not interested in my county investing huge amounts of money in equipment that may get used once or twice a year.

We got about 1-2" Friday night. Currently the streets are all pretty much clear - have been since Sat/Sun. I still cannot get up my driveway. I parked my truck at the bottom Friday night. My driveway has a 30 degree slope and is about 50' long and faces north. It is now a layer of snow and ice. I used a concrete safe ice melt a couple years ago the pitted the driveway bad so I now just wait for nature to resolve. It is supposed to be high 50s today and a low of only 45 so it'll be gone soon.

/ My State ! #42  
I live about an hour north of Atlanta. There are actually some valid reasons why everything goes to crap when it snows here.

• Often when we get snow it then warms slightly so the snow starts to melt then refreezes creating plenty of ice.
  • We don't have winter tires, I'm not sure we can even buy them. Most folks have summer tires or maybe all season.
  • I've driven plenty in northern states with real snow. The snow here is different. It's like a bunch of tiny ice cubes - it does not pack and allow traction like anywhere up north I've driven.
  • We have very little equipment to deal with the roads. I for one am not interested in my county investing huge amounts of money in equipment that may get used once or twice a year.

We got about 1-2" Friday night. Currently the streets are all pretty much clear - have been since Sat/Sun. I still cannot get up my driveway. I parked my truck at the bottom Friday night. My driveway has a 30 degree slope and is about 50' long and faces north. It is now a layer of snow and ice. I used a concrete safe ice melt a couple years ago the pitted the driveway bad so I now just wait for nature to resolve. It is supposed to be high 50s today and a low of only 45 so it'll be gone soon.
I know what you mean. I live in Upstate NY, but lived west of Atlanta as a teenager. The roads and driveways there are not built with snow and ice in mind.
Entertainingly, we had a neighbor call Child Protective Services on us after a snowstorm. IIRC 1-2" of snow had fallen the day before, then us weird NY country kids went out the next day (when it was in the 40s) to cut up a small tree in the front yard that the storm had taken out without any coats on, so we obviously didn't have any coats, shoes, electric power or beds (said neighbor had never been in the house since we moved in and was wrong on all counts).

Aaron Z

/ My State ! #43  
I know what you mean. I live in Upstate NY, but lived west of Atlanta as a teenager. The roads and driveways there are not built with snow and ice in mind.
Entertainingly, we had a neighbor call Child Protective Services on us after a snowstorm. IIRC 1-2" of snow had fallen the day before, then us weird NY country kids went out the next day (when it was in the 40s) to cut up a small tree in the front yard that the storm had taken out without any coats on, so we obviously didn't have any coats, shoes, electric power or beds (said neighbor had never been in the house since we moved in and was wrong on all counts).

Aaron Z
Well sending kids out without coats in 40 degree weather sounds like child abuse to me.

/ My State ! #44  
Well sending kids out without coats in 40 degree weather sounds like child abuse to me.
Sending them out? We had just moved from Upstate NY and us kids chose not to wear them because it was so warm out :D
IIRC, it was right after Christmas end my brother had received a bow saw that he wanted to try out.

Aaron Z

/ My State ! #45  
Regarding school closings, around here, they don't close public schools for heavy snow because, unfortunately, many kids' (sometimes most in some schools) ONLY food for the day comes from the free breakfast and lunch served at school. If they don't go to school, they don't eat. They only close for extreme cold, because many kids (again, sometimes most in some schools) don't have winter clothing and will suffer frostbite.

/ My State ! #47  
That's sad

Yeah, it is. True, but sad. I think the law here is something like, if X% of the school is composed of kids from families below the poverty line, the entire school gets free breakfast and lunch. And its quite a few schools that qualify for 100% free meals. Summertime parks programs provide free lunches when school is out.

/ My State ! #48  
Yeah, it is. True, but sad. I think the law here is something like, if X% of the school is composed of kids from families below the poverty line, the entire school gets free breakfast and lunch. And its quite a few schools that qualify for 100% free meals. Summertime parks programs provide free lunches when school is out.
They do that at our local library in the summer.

Aaron Z

/ My State ! #49  
Being retired,, snow has the same effect as 75 degree weather,,,

SNOW and cold - go to the sofa and check in at TBN
Sunny and Warm - go to the sofa and check in at TBN

:thumbsup:

Just kidding,, I just came in from starting the JD 650 that has had the block heater plugged in for 3 hours.
THAT was really nice to have it start without the chug, chug,, chugg,,, :cool2:

Luckily, I live in Virginia,, it is not a State,,, :eek: it is a Commonwealth,,, :D