My SXS dilemma

/ My SXS dilemma #1  

Traderdell

Tractor
JD
Just sold our kubota RTV X900 and want a new machine. The kubota was bulletproof but just too unwieldy. John Deere is probably my preference just because I grew up on a farm with JD equipment and have a X758 and a X495 currently but I知 open to all suggestions. Our use is mostly just taking the dogs for rides on our own trails and some light yard/garden work.

We have diesel here for other equipment but really don稚 think we壇 utilize a diesel to its potential. I致e looked (online) at Deere, Kawasaki, Honda and Polaris big ones for three people and small ones for two plus two terriers that aren稚 much more than a golf cart.

I have a terrible back and mobility issues so ease of entry and as comfortable a ride as is possible in a SXS is important. Reliability ease of use and maintenance are also important.

I know no one can make this for me but I壇 appreciate any and all Input. I also realize I値l need to actually drive any machines we consider. Currently JD痴 Gator inventory in our area is low so finding ones to test prior to ordering is a problem.

Thank you,
Gregg

/ My SXS dilemma #2  
Before one can make suggestions it would be best to know shortcomings of the old one. What does " too unwieldy " mean ?

/ My SXS dilemma #4  
We really like our Mule. Any with a top speed over 25mph have to have doors or nets to hold you in. The Mule does not have those. Stepping in is easy with the low side and wide open doorway.

Attachments

• 20190302_124554.jpg
    20190302_124554.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 95
   / My SXS dilemma #5  
   / My SXS dilemma #6  
When I sold my two Polaris SxS’s two years ago, I thought I would never get another UTV.

Five weeks ago Kawasaki had a sale on their base Mule and we bought one. It is ok for putting around. Could use more suspension travel. Added a rear bench seat for the grandkids. It is not as smooth as the Polaris units we had. What sold me was the compact size, price, and three year warranty. It is half the price of a “nice” unit but does what we need.

Today we rode trails for 2 1/2 hours and used about $5 of fuel. The trails we ride cannot use the speed of the “nice” units anyway. Like I said, we putt putt.

We harvest campfire wood from the logging sites with it. It only carries 400 lbs, which is not a lot, but about all I want to cut when I go for a joy ride.

/ My SXS dilemma #7  
Sounds like you might already have your mind set on a John Deere......but the newer Kubota RTVs eg the X1100C gives you the comfortable sealed cab (heat and AC) for all season comfort. They now have independent suspension , not top heavy, somewhat slow , but 25mph on ones own trails is as fast as most need, hydraulic dump bed (steel) can handle 1000 lbs of yard dirt / gravel , can easily be loaded with a 4ft wide tractor bucket. Extremely reliable engine, although noisy....my SIL has a new Polaris and at speed is same noise. Also very good gas mileage (diesel ) I suspect you know all this but just want you to know for us older folks with mobility issues I find it quite the solution and my dog loved it too.. (passed away over winter)

/ My SXS dilemma #8  
You might want to do some research on the SxS and UTV websites. With that being said, you have to read a lot of posts to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff. Polaris is extremely popular but are reported to have reliability issues particularly involving the transmissions and overheating. I went with a Honda Pioneer for the reason that they were the only manufacturer with a standard automotive type gear driven automatic transmission. I've had it for 4 years and had zero problems.

What works for me or any of the other TBN members may or may not be what's right for you. After all opinions are just that. One persons view of a product. Only way for you to know what is best is to check out what's available in your price range and do some research. Don't put all your stock into vehicle spec sheets. While they provide good info., you won't know what's best until you actually drive it.

/ My SXS dilemma #9  
I'll start this by saying that I have been very impressed with the older Kawasaki Mules,
there are two of them on the farm, they have been reliable steady utility vehicles.
They are slow and the ride isn't the best.
When I started looking for mine Kawasaki was the first ones that I looked at,
I wanted 3 wide seating and was looking at the Pro sx I think nice machine and would have been a good choice.

I drove two of the gators one was the 835 and it was a nice unit had a nice ride and good performance,
I have some knee issues and I had a difficult time applying the park brake.

I looked at the Yamahas and Polaris just didn't care for them.

I ended up with a very large heavy machine with a very good ride and decent performance,
it is what some consider to be an inferior machine but so far has been good for me.
It is a Bennche/Massimo Warrior 800;
warrior 2.jpg

/ My SXS dilemma #10  
A neighboring farmer has mostly JD equipment. He has two JD Gators, 2011 825i and 2019 835R. Both are gas. Since he runs multiple diesel tractors, I asked him way he went gas for the Gators (since JD offers them in diesel) He said not fast enough ( he farms multiple parcels). He said he had the dealer bring one (diesel) out to the farm and after taking a short trip down the road, told the salesman to take it back and bring a gas one.