My take on a Ballast Box

/ My take on a Ballast Box #11  
Well my Ballast is a 300# elevator weight to which I added some 12" high X 6" tubes each side of the vertical that the upper 3 pt arm attaches to.
The vertical also incorporates a 2" X 2" receiver hitch tube.
The whole rig simply has pins to accommodate the 3 pt lower arms.
Nice compact installation.
Width is less than my wheels and it is a mere few inches longer than the 3 pt lower arms.
Added to one of the vertical storage tubes is about 100lbs of old scuba weights that I had hanging around.
Both rears are also loaded with beet juice so I have TRACTION!

/ My take on a Ballast Box #12  
Love that idea Wagtail. Was just looking at it tonight thinking it needed wheels, but didn't want them permanently attached. Know a good source for casters that will hold up to that kind of weight?

Sources aren't known for your 'neck of the woods' but I simply went to a large hardware 'box store'. They had an area for various castor-type wheels and I bought the heaviest duty (blue, in my case) plastic, 360 degree horizontal rotating wheels that they had. One of the four (per pallet) was a locking/brake type.

Most of the implements use regular pallets, a couple I constructed to specifically fit (tiller, fertiliser spreader).

/ My take on a Ballast Box #13  
Love that idea Wagtail. Was just looking at it tonight thinking it needed wheels, but didn't want them permanently attached. Know a good source for casters that will hold up to that kind of weight?

You can easily find good casters at Harbor Freight or Home Depot.
I've made dollies for all my implements including backhoe and fel. Like Wag said, easy to move around to store or roll up to attach when needed.

/ My take on a Ballast Box
Off to Home Depot I go tomorrow. If anyone has a pic of their pallets with wheels I'd love to see them. Thanks again guys!

/ My take on a Ballast Box #15  
Off to Home Depot I go tomorrow. If anyone has a pic of their pallets with wheels I'd love to see them. Thanks again guys!

Not a pallet but just a set of wheels added to an extension of a moving dolly. Easy to move.

Attachments

• image-2172249341.jpg
    image-2172249341.jpg
    523.1 KB · Views: 224
   / My take on a Ballast Box #16  

Here ya go Mate. Believe it, there's a 5' slasher on its own wheeled pallet in the back. Everything just slides around with minimum effort.

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    969.2 KB · Views: 194
   / My take on a Ballast Box #17  
Not pallets, just 2 x 6's:

P6040002.JPG

P6020024.JPG

P6040008.JPG

Even a small furniture dolly works:

PB140033.JPG

Put this together from scraps:

P7150002.JPG

P7150003.JPG

P7150012.JPG

/ My take on a Ballast Box
Image1467138136.650797.jpg

Well I redid the box and made it half the distance off the back of the tractor.

Also had the rear tires loaded with RimGuard

Grapple came in as well. I love this thing.

Image1467138229.895144.jpg

The boy getting some seat time

Image1467138361.009306.jpg

Thank you all who helped me think this through!