My TC55DA is ready for pickup.

/ My TC55DA is ready for pickup. #1  

Osconda

Silver Member
Texas, Williamson County (aka Texas Hill Country)
Tractor
New Holland TC55DA, delivered 05/25/2005
Got a call from my dealer awhile ago. Said my tractor was ready to go. So, after work I'll be stopping by for a "test" run. My tractor was not on their lot so I hadn't had a chance to drive it. It came directly from the assembly plant.

I'll have them deliver it tomorrow, so it'll be waiting for me when I get home. Hope my wife doesn't jump on it and break it in before I get there! I've heard lots of bad stories lately about wifes & tractors. Hummmh....I might have to buy a rubber snake to remedy the situation.

The root grapple I ordered from rootgrapple.com is being delivered tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get some pics up soon.

Later....

/ My TC55DA is ready for pickup. #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Hope my wife doesn't jump on it and break it in before I get there! I've heard lots of bad stories lately about wifes & tractors. Hummmh....I might have to buy a rubber snake to remedy the situation. )</font>

Women, /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Have your dealer when he drops it off to leave the PTO engaged so that when your wife tries to start the tractor it won't. My 29 is nice because you have to push the key in while turning it or it won't start. Most people can't figure that one out including me when I tried starting it the first time. I don't know how yours will be. If you don't think the PTO won't work then there has to be another safety switch your dealer can unplug before he leaves.

Oh yes welcome to TBN and have fun. Pictures are a must.

/ My TC55DA is ready for pickup. #3  
congrats on your new tractor you will love the horse power /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ My TC55DA is ready for pickup.
The tractor was finally delivered last nite at 5:30 p.m. Didn't get much seat time because I had a bunch of other things to do when I got off work.

First impressions...the engine sounds strong compared to my friends JD 4710. It's probably the turbo that makes it sound like a real beast.

I found a couple of neat chain storage areas on the FEL that I didn't know existed. The quick attach FEL is pretty easy to operate. I detached the bucket and attached the root grapple without too much trouble. The grapple came with 5' hoses so I'm getting some hoses made today that will complete the installation to the rear remotes.

The HD quick attach loader bucket is really beefy! It has cutting edges also attached to the bucket sides. The top of the bucket already has two sets of brackets welded on it to install grab hooks or anything else that I can conjure up.

The electro-hydraulic shuttle works well. I found out that I can shift gears without using the clutch, if I move the shuttle into neutral then back into "forward" again.

There was some confusion on the dealer's end about my wanting the tires loaded and they delivered the tractor with the tires empty. I stopped by Tractor Supply and picked up the adapter to do it myself. I think I'll need it, with the 750 lb. root grapple attached.

Will post some pics as soon as possible. Sounds like a family reunion is scheduled this Saturday out of town. So that will REALLY hinder my seat time this weekend. I have SO much work already lined us since I got the tractor two weeks later than anticipated. I've got 2500' of fence going up in a couple of weeks and the fence line needs to get cleaned up. Oh boy!

Later guys...

<font color="blue"> </font> Thought I'd finally post a pic of my tractor to show I actually got it. It was delivered on May 25th. Only got 15 hours on it so far.

Can't really see it in the picture, but I'm using the root grapple I bought from Unlimited Fabrication. It does a great job of grabbing the trees after I "pop" them out of the ground. This is about the biggest tree I can actually lift and carry to my brush piles. The bigger trees I can still pop out of the ground but I have to drag or push them to get them where I want them.

Pulling out the trees is where I found out how effective differential lock is. 3 wheel drive just isn't enough for some of the larger trees like this one.

Currently I'm clearing an 8' wide access for a 2500' fence line. I still have to use my Husqvarna 350 chainsaw for some trees but the tractor sure is a lot less sweat!

The canopy is not shown, as I have removed it temporarily since I'm working within so many trees.

The root grapple was actually pretty easy to setup. The additional hydraulic hoses cost $150 though. Them darn quick disconnect fittings are expensive?

I've had a limited amount of time with the roll over box blade so can't say much about that except that it should save me a lot of time. I found out yesterday that I either lost a spring on the cog latch or it either came with one missing. Hitting a decent bump will cause the blade to unlatch and the scarifiers to roll down. Hope I can find the spring I need at TSC.

Attachments

• 667776-NH_TC55DA.JPG.jpg
    667776-NH_TC55DA.JPG.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 376
   / My TC55DA is ready for pickup. #8  
I'm curious about the technique that you use to "pop out" the trees on your property. I'm also interested in purchasing a TC55 with an 18LA FEL. Any problems with the steering during heavy FEL use?

By the way, GREAT picture!

/ My TC55DA is ready for pickup. #9  
Those grapples really do come in handy. It looks like you've already got yours being very productive. Do your rear tires get kinda light with a big unbalanced load? My TC45D works a lot better when I keep my load close to balanced. The first day I had my grapple, I learned that lesson quickly. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It looks like you are gonna get a lot done. Keep posting more pictures. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

How far are you from the I-35 corridor through Williamson county?

VIEWQUEST,

Each tree is a little different depending on the size and where it is relative to other trees. For example, the tree in the picture was taken out by pushing on it about 6' up the trunk. It might take two goes at it, but eventually you get it leaned over and the root ball will be exposed; actually it's about 1/2 halfway out of the ground. At that point, the bucket is lowered to the root ball at ground level and I push while lifting the bucket. I have to use 4WD & Diff lock to get this done. If the tree has grown into bedrock...time to get the chainsaw.
I grab the root ball with the grapple and pull it to an area where I can approach it from the side. Lower the grapple bucket, squeeze, lift, curl and go.

I'm sure in 6 months I'll be doing it totally different.

BTW, if I was going to be doing this alot I would have gotten a TN series with a stronger loader.