My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #11  
Hey,

I have read a lot of the posts (probably all) about the jerky 3pt hitch on the L2800/L3400, and I wanted to post my thoughts on this issue. Maybe I put a little too much stock in what people on here have to say, but it is frustrating to me to read people that HATE Kubota now because of a single issue.

A little background on me: I set out to purchase a tractor about a year ago knowing virtually nothing about them. I have about 12 acres of land with a 4 acre pasture and a pond that needs to be mowed regularly. I initially set out looking at as many makes and models as I could, but for me cost was a very big factor, and, as simple as it sounds, I have a low clearance garage door which played into the determining factor. I decided to purchase new because used tractors hold their value quite well and I wanted the warranty that goes along with a new tractor.

After the dust had settled, my choices based on cost and reputation were down to a JD 790 (I think they are the 3005 now), JD 3203, and the Kubota L2800/3400.

The JD 3203 was a little more expensive, but I was looking at it as an HST alternative to the 790. My problem with these models was that their FEL's were rated at about 300 lbs less lift capacity than the Kubotas and neither one of them were available with a folding ROPS. Also, test drove them, the cockpit seemed a good bit more cramped and overall they seemed smaller than the Kubotas, and at 6'4", that was important to me.

When comparing the Kubotas, I could basically afford either a 3400 gear, or a 2800 HST. I decided upon the HST because based on where I live I really don't need more horsepower, but the ease of use and my inexperience made the HST very appealing. Also, while it seems to be an "option," I couldn't even find one WITHOUT a folding ROPS.

So, when it came down to it, the Kubota L2800HST offered me greater lift capacity, a roomier cockpit, HST, a quick attach bucket (I want to be able to get forks, grapple, etc), and the folding ROPS so I can park it in the garage - which I think is very important to maintaining the equipment. All of this in a compact tractor that felt much larger than the JD's and NH's that are comparable in price.

So, why am I saying all this? Well, my initial reaction after reading the threads with people complaining about the jerky 3pt hitch was regret for being duped into buying this tractor.

But I thought about it and compared what I got to what the competitors offer and realized I am still much better off for what I could afford. Sure, it isn't ideal, but the 790 owners can have their buttery smooth 3pt hitch, I'll keep my 300 extra lbs of FEL capacity, HST, folding ROPS, and everything else that I love about this tractor. It is a little beast when it comes to working my property and it continues to impress me.

All of that being said, if you can afford a more expensive tractor, than buy one. But for those of us who need to stay in the "Economy" range, take a good look at the differences and I think you will find that Kubota still has more to offer.

Totally agree, Love mine inspite of jerky 3 point. If I had purchased another brand or model, I m convinced there would be some negatives with those. All in all, great tractor.

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #12  
I've been happy with my 2800 HST. My hitch is the better of the two that was put on them. I really like the power it has. The biggest problem with me was getting used to the sounds the HST makes. I was not used to the sound of the HST and initially questioned if I was running out of power. I just noticed something tonight...I have loaded R4s, put on the hoe and FIL and I figure I'm looking at an additional 2,400 lbs added to the machine. I have a steep bank I have to go down over to get to my shooting range. It is steep enough that I elect to back up it when the hoe and FIL are on the tractor. The tractor and HST make the same sound going up this hill, with or without that additional 2,400lbs. So, it has plenty of power. That said, I wish I could have afforded the 3400 just in case I needed that extra power, but I haven't needed it yet. I will have had it 3yrs this Sept. and no problems as of yet. I have the old style PTO cams too and I use the PTO alot. I worried about them at first, but I have come to realize TBN will make you worry more than you should sometimes.

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #13  
100% happy with my 2800 gear drive, id buy another one or recommend them to anyone, seems to be a very tough little tractor

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #14  
but I have come to realize TBN will make you worry more than you should sometimes.

Its like reading WebMB trying to figure out why you are stick... but for tractors. Oh the answers you can find.

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #15  
Wow this reads like Kubota Rep convention or Kubota PR campaign .
I do like my tractor , I love my wife and my children , not a tractor .
The hitch , had I seen it when purchasing the tractor , it would have been a deal breaker , would not have touched it and drove off to buy another product .
Nothing is perfect but they have been making buttery smooth 3 points for several minutes now (50 or so years) , so give me a break , "Economy Tractor" .

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #16  
I'd sell mine if I didn't like it or if it did something I could not work with or if it didn't do all that I ask of it.

3yrs and @ 25.00 worth of broke parts, I ain't complaining.

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #17  
FIRST off... anyone with a late 2005 / early 2006 or newer tractor does NOT even know what jerky is about. (and you may actually have some of us to thank for that - instead of what I'm reading). :rolleyes:

Second, Yea, most people will NOT realize the problem unless you try to max out the weight on the end of a boom pole (watching 3/400 lbs bouncing violently on the tip) or trying to cut in a new road with the speed as it sould be able to be done with a REAL "standard" NON-jerky tractor's 3ph. If you are only mowing - you will not notice it much.

Third, I love my tractor... ...but ONLY because I got my valves changed out. It pissed me off everytime I raised the 3ph because I know what it should have been like.

Fourth, I do not know how the valves work in the 2009 models but I would suggest you try it before you buy it. (might as well check the welds, too :D)

(switching 'rant' to off position, Flame suit ON)

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #18  
When I was test driving every CUT on the planet I was down to the 3203 and the 3400. I test drove 2 different 3203's and could not get over the harsh, jerky, and loud hydro on the 3203. I then drove the 20 series tractor and it was better $$$
I then went diretly to the 3400 "economy" tractor and I was sold. I eventually made the jump to the grand series but the point is, What would you rather have in an economy tractor, a hardly noticable 3ph issue or the constant whine and harsh control every hour in the seat.
Kubota had to cut somewhere and I agree with where they cut. I think it is a great unit for the price and thats why there are so many sold.
Just my 2 cents.

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #19  
What would you rather have in an economy tractor, a hardly noticable 3ph issue...

Yeah, hardly noticeable if you only run the machine with a backhoe installed.

What's going on here? Didn't anyone see the videos? Either there are a lot of people who've never run a 50 year old tractor with a three point or all of you "the internet created the problem" posters got the good valve, and never saw the videos.

Even Messicks who's been quite clear about his experience and position noted, "There clearly is some substance to the complaints..".

/ My thoughts on L series jerky 3pt hitch, don't regret purchase #20  
Even Messicks who's been quite clear about his experience and position noted, "There clearly is some substance to the complaints..".

Ya know I have seen alot on here with all regards to problems. Jerky 3PH, breaking sight glass, a removed steering guard, etc etc...

beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

and I agree with many here-- no matter the product if you look long enough and hard enough you will find something that ticks you off.

I have a 3400 and mine is fine.

this is one topic I have actually gotten tired of....

BTW-- gotta love the rant off line..

J