My tractor is broken

/ My tractor is broken
geneP, you nailed it, thank you for understanding!

I still plan to share the knowledge I'll attain with the group as I believe in helping. BTW I was the one that painted the hoses because they are dry rotted, and since they'll be replaced in short order I found no need to spend time taping what will be eliminated.

/ My tractor is broken #22  
GCP,

The point I think you are missing is doing something to figure it out yourself.

I was a newby tractor mechanic at an IH dealership in the 70s and when a unit came in to fix/split they would let me steam clean off the oil and grease, take off all the shrouds, fenders and mark all the wires/pieces then the "real" mechanics would split the tractor and fix it.. then I would put all the pieces back together. After a while I got to split a few as well.

Bottom line the guts aren't that complex its a matter of taking the initiative and guts to jump in as many here do. I think most on TBN expect you to jump in - especially in older machines (where a pro shop repair would kill the budget) then ask questions as you get into things..

If you got into it, took some pics and asked questions as you go, the support on TBN is awesome..

/ My tractor is broken #23  
The only problem that you may have that caused this is the linkage that is external to shift the range transmission. The problem now is the fact that the forks are out of sync from where they should be to the shifter.

The slot could be worn, it might never had happened if the shifter was only shifted in a H pattern but we all normally will slide it from one side to the other. Thats what caused this problem. The external shift linkage could be loose enough to cause this to happen..

Have some one move the shifter and find where the linkage is as well as it's entrance into the tractor.

You do not need to split the tractor to work with on the shifting components.

/ My tractor is broken #24  
Here is a link to Case/IH: Case IH Agriculture & Farm Equipment

Click on "search for parts" in the top menu. Type in your model number, and it will bring up a menu for an exploded view of any component of your tractor.

There are several shifters to look through. It will give you an idea of the parts associated with yours.

/ My tractor is broken #25  
Just remember if you try to fix the transmission make sure you account for all broken parts, any little bits left in the transmission can get caught in the gears.

/ My tractor is broken
Gentlemen, thank you for all your inputs. Art you are dead on!!

I am happy to report that my 584 is fully functional once again. All it required to get it going was to take the skin(s) off, weld the shifter in its required place, not an easy task to get it just right...it took a few tries and it's still not 100%, and finally adjust both the forward/reserve and gear shifters (don't know what happened but 3rd and 4th wouldn't work along with high/reverse). Plus I worked the kinks out of the electrical harness & fusebox. There appears to be bushing slop from age wear which I'll probably have to address in the near future.

Bottom line, my buddy and I started working on the freakin thing 6:30 in the morning and completed the task at 7:30 in the evening so this tractor's not my favorite vehicle right about now but it's fumctional again so give me 'till next weekend to befriend it once more.

IMG_6627.jpg

IMG_6626.jpg

Last edited:
   / My tractor is broken #27  
Atta' boy..!! :thumbsup:

/ My tractor is broken #29  
sounds like the linkage to the shaft rounded out or something. did you weld it in such a way that you can cut the weld out with a die grinder to disassemble at a later date if needed?

soundguy

/ My tractor is broken
Thank you for the kind words guys.

In the future, if this fix doesn't hold up, I'll replace the shifter and peripherals with new parts. I suspect they wouldn't be that expensive and they should be a direct drop-in.