Rear Finish Mower My Woods RM48 blades fall off.

/ My Woods RM48 blades fall off.
Have you considered using lockwashers? These keep a tension against the head of the bolt which should prevent loosening.
I'm not a real fan of the star type lockwasher, BTW.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, that would be too easy. If you read the rest of this thread you'll see there is no easy answer.
At first, when I read your comment, I thought you were trying to befuddle me. Then I realised you were trying to baffle me.
Thanks.
Fred

/ My Woods RM48 blades fall off. #32  
A couple things come to mind, first one,.. is drill a hole threw the head of the bolt 3/16 or so and thread a # nine wire threw and go around the blade would need to be tight with NO slack, second idea,.. would be to make some fasteners, Using a 12 point box end wrench, cut of the box end off leaving 3 or so inches of shank drill a hole threw wrench and threw the blade and bolt the lockin divice down , I would use a cheep china wrench, look for the least amount of angle at the end, grind the wrench down thin 3/16 in or thinner ,..If I was doin it Id cut the box end of, and weld on a piece of 1/8 flat stock you need to keep it light so it dont viberate, if you have any questions just ask, If you dont have the tools to do it and need help Ill make the parts for you reasonable Eric

/ My Woods RM48 blades fall off. #33  
A couple things come to mind, first one,.. is drill a hole threw the head of the bolt 3/16 or so and thread a # nine wire threw and go around the blade would need to be tight with NO slack, second idea,.. would be to make some fasteners, Using a 12 point box end wrench, cut of the box end off leaving 3 or so inches of shank drill a hole threw wrench and threw the blade and bolt the lockin divice down , I would use a cheep china wrench, look for the least amount of angle at the end, grind the wrench down thin 3/16 in or thinner ,..If I was doin it Id cut the box end of, and weld on a piece of 1/8 flat stock you need to keep it light so it dont viberate, if you have any questions just ask, If you dont have the tools to do it and need help Ill make the parts for you reasonable Eric

Locking the bolt head to the blade won't stop both from backing out. It's the forces working against the blade that are causing the problem. Your two cures won't work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the advice and the kind offer mrkubotakid, but as RickB has already pointed out, it won't work.
Even if my bolt, blade and washers were all one piece, the counter-clockwise rotation of the spindle would still detach it from the right hand thread bolt.
Fred

Here's an idea no one came up with yet, possibly because it may not work.
I could run down to my local machine shop and have them make up three double threaded studs, having a right hand thread on one end and a left hand thread on the other. Screw the right hand thread into my spindle and run a bead of weld around it to connect it permanently to the spindle. Then I'd have a left hand thread protruding from the spindle, making it a left hand thread arbor-shaft. I could attach my blade with a left hand thread nut.
Of course, this is just an idea that flashed through my mind and may fizzle out to nothing when I get out there and take a closer look at what I have to work with.

/ My Woods RM48 blades fall off. #36  
Wow, this sounds like a situation I find myself in from time to time. I am glad I am not the only one. What I call this is having a type "a" widget and trying to make it a type "b" widget. I have learned the very hard way if you need a type b widget in the first place which you do, then buy the correct widget in the first place. While it may be fun to some to make right hand threads work dependably like left hand threads or vice versa you will wind up with a fix that if it fails you will have a dangerous situation when the blade flies off.

/ My Woods RM48 blades fall off. #37  
Have you investigated the cost and availability of new spindles with correct left hand threading? If you have intentions of keeping the mower, why not fix it the right way? It might cost a few extra pesos, but you'll benefit down the road.

Wow, this sounds like a situation I find myself in from time to time. I am glad I am not the only one. What I call this is having a type "a" widget and trying to make it a type "b" widget. I have learned the very hard way if you need a type b widget in the first place which you do, then buy the correct widget in the first place. While it may be fun to some to make right hand threads work dependably like left hand threads or vice versa you will wind up with a fix that if it fails you will have a dangerous situation when the blade flies off.

I have already dropped two of the three blades and apparently they fall off, rather than fly off. Thanks.
Fred

Have you investigated the cost and availability of new spindles with correct left hand threading? If you have intentions of keeping the mower, why not fix it the right way? It might cost a few extra pesos, but you'll benefit down the road.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Probably the soundest advice so far. Thanks.
Fred