Mystery Lever on L275 3 Point

/ Mystery Lever on L275 3 Point #1  

Just Bob

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L275
I need some wisdom - I'm new to this stuff. My new to me L275 was bought for its front mounted snowblower and heated Sims cab. While going through doing a full service and check-out routine I found a broken turnbuckle that connected the left side arm of the 3 point hitch lift arm to a small lever on the left side of the hydraulics/transmission case - about opposite of the position control lever on the right side of the case.

Googling around best I can determine is it is a "neutral return lever". Messing around with tools it appears the small lever on the case is frozen up and this caused the turnbuckle linkage to fail. The 3 point hitch raises and lowers fine.

My questions... Of course, what is it? Can I use a 3 point implement (specifically a scraper blade for snow) with this being inoperative? Easy or hard fix?

Many thanks in advance.

/ Mystery Lever on L275 3 Point #2  
I have the L235 which has the same case as the l275 do you have a picture ? I have a manual for the 275 I can scan it an email the page to you. I dont see what your talking about. Unless it has something to do with the draft control.

/ Mystery Lever on L275 3 Point
I'll post up a pic later - gotta go to work for awhile. The lever is (supposed) to be moved by an offset turnbuckle that is bolted to the top pivot point of the left side 3 point hitch lift arm. I've got the manual but the parts # page with the exploded view says nothing of its function and Google turned up nothing. Thanks.

Here's a pic of my mystery lever, looking in from the left rear corner of the tractor. It is the shiny gold turnbuckle (with an offset arm) that connects from the top pivot area of the left hand 3 point lifter arm (large arm coming down to center from upper right) and it connects to a small lever on the transmission/hydraulics case. It is this later lever that feels stuck. It is missing its retainer pins as I just taped it and placed it in position for this pic.

I'm guessing it is a "return to float" or some type of limiter for the 3 point hitch since the 3 point height lever is about directly opposite on the right side of the case.

Any help greatly appreciated.

cimg3837q.jpg

Somebody has to know what this is! Here's a marked up pic to make it clearer.
mysterylever.jpg

/ Mystery Lever on L275 3 Point #6  
ok my L235 has it as well - got me - i thought it might have something to do with the draft control - but i don't have that option and I have the same lever.

I can ask a friend that works at a dealer in the parts dept - see what he says

/ Mystery Lever on L275 3 Point #7  
It looks very similar in function to a lever on my B1750 that cuts off or bypasses the hydraulic oil feed once the arms are at their top position. I think it is to ease the pressure on the relief valve in the oil pump.

Not only that, but it may also cut off feed to tipping spool valves - I found this out the hard way when I discovered when I brought lift arms up to maximum height, and hydraulic oil was cut off, then switched over to the trailer valve I could not tip the trailer! (the B1750 has a lever under the seat so the draft lever either controls arms or tipping spool valve).

Julian

/ Mystery Lever on L275 3 Point #8  
That is an important part of the 3 point lift system. I think it is time to take the broken part to the local Kubota Dealer and purchase a new one. While at the dealership discuss with the service manager how to adjust after installation and the amount of force needed to move the internal parts. If every thing does not move freely the new part will also break when the 3 point lift is raised or lowered.

I put a wrench on the "mystery" lever and as stated, it feels seized. I say "feels" because I didn't want to snap the lever with too much force. Replacing the turnbuckle would undoubtedly just break it again.

Logic tells me this is simply an upper limit valve designed to prevent the operator from raising an implement too high by triggering a "relief valve" and damaging the cab structure. If this is the case I'm not too concerned as my antique operators manual states not to continuously operate the machine with the valve in the relief mode. If it doesn't even function - no problem. As long as I don't raise anything too high.

This is primarily a front mounted blower machine but I thought I might like to add a scraper blade. Hence my questions about the "mystery" lever.

The three point hydraulics seem to function fine. Interestingly (to me), the extended hydraulic control valve for the blower raiser which is plumbed off the left side of the rear three point casing only functions when the three point height control is set to the lower float position. Don't know if that is related to my mystery lever so thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for the replies.

/ Mystery Lever on L275 3 Point #10  
If it's linked to the lift arm it's a safe bet it is a limiter for travel either up or down, probably up as you thought. Maybe to protect the cab or operator depending on what equipment you have on the 3ph, which is why it's adjustable. If it's frozen and the 3 ph still works with a load on it, you're ok as long as you're careful lifting stuff.

If it's to protect the internal mechanism from damage, it needs fixed. Either way, check with a dealer as to what it actually does. Sounds expensive to fix, anything internal usually is in my experience.

Chilly