N H Ford 445C TCM no. FONN7Z319AAR.

/ N H Ford 445C TCM no. FONN7Z319AAR. #111  
No, the lockup would basically make the tractor drive away at idle, and would also stall the machine if it came to a stop via the brakes. There will always be a slight clunk going into gear. My machine did the same with its original controller. It was never a smooth soft shift engagement. It's the same way with an automatic transmission on a car, you're still going to feel the clunk into gear. The output side of the torque converter is spinning away while the machine is running and all that inertia gets brought to a stop when the clutch pack is engaged. I think you can only slow it down so much with such a simple mechanism.

/ N H Ford 445C TCM no. FONN7Z319AAR. #112  
eKretz and TractorTech, A mechanical engineer friend stopped by today and had it running in a couple minutes. I've gotta digest what he did before I try to explain it. I'm celebrating tonight with some fine cardboardeaux. It still needs some adjustments; I felt the start was too hard so I put it in the shed until I can look it over next.
The problem was that the 'Speed' on the controller (display) was set to 0%. Once it was set to 60% - off she went!

/ N H Ford 445C TCM no. FONN7Z319AAR. #113  
The problem was that the 'Speed' on the controller (display) was set to 0%. Once it was set to 60% - off she went!

That's actually the pulse width, but I know what you meant. 60% means it's only sending 60% (averaged) of the battery voltage out to the solenoid...

/ N H Ford 445C TCM no. FONN7Z319AAR.
That's actually the pulse width, but I know what you meant. 60% means it's only sending 60% (averaged) of the battery voltage out to the solenoid...
ekretz on #1. I set the bottom at 65% which is 9.4 volts (I think) anyway the battery I was told tops out at 14.5v and the solenoid should not exceed 10v, therefore 14.5v is to 10% as 100v is to x, 1000 divided by 14.5 = 69%. So I set it at 65% = 9.4v. I thought the top slot was slow start, 3 seconds. The lever to the right of the wheel is set to dead slow, I take me foot off the clutch to a delayed soft clunk, then with my left heel I'm off and running. Alls well I think. #2 through 8 are set correctly. Although freezing, today I did some work.

/ N H Ford 445C TCM no. FONN7Z319AAR. #115  
Fred, where are you seeing that the solenoid should not exceed 10V?

/ N H Ford 445C TCM no. FONN7Z319AAR. #117  
eKretz - Thanks for the clarification. I was trying to phrase it 'generically'.
I don't know if Fred's meter is 'True RMS', but I think it will be close enough.

/ N H Ford 445C TCM no. FONN7Z319AAR. #118  
eKretz - Thanks for the clarification. I was trying to phrase it 'generically'.
I don't know if Fred's meter is 'True RMS', but I think it will be close enough.

I figured, but not everyone that reads these boards is as technically minded...I try to keep things straight for those guys so there's no confusion. Being a moderator at another technical message board, I just know somebody will be asking themselves "How does a solenoid have a 'speed?'"

Either way, I'd be very careful about lowering the solenoid voltage for extended periods. If the clutch ends up slipping and wearing prematurely, that is a much more difficult and involved repair than replacing a solenoid coil.

If you guys have some information that explains why you think these coils are only rated for 10VDC I'd sure like to know where you got it. My manual states 12V, and I'm pretty sure it just means "battery voltage." The lockup solenoid section explicitly states that the solenoid coil activation circuit should rise to "battery voltage," and I'd be surprised if they weren't using the same coils.

I figured, but not everyone that reads these boards is as technically minded...I try to keep things straight for those guys so there's no confusion. Being a moderator at another technical message board, I just know somebody will be asking themselves "How does a solenoid have a 'speed?'"

Either way, I'd be very careful about lowering the solenoid voltage for extended periods. If the clutch ends up slipping and wearing prematurely, that is a much more difficult and involved repair than replacing a solenoid coil.

If you guys have some information that explains why you think these coils are only rated for 10VDC I'd sure like to know where you got it. My manual states 12V, and I'm pretty sure it just means "battery voltage." The lockup solenoid section explicitly states that the solenoid coil activation circuit should rise to "battery voltage," and I'd be surprised if they weren't using the same coils.
eKretz, you are correct. I moved my percentage up to 85%. I don't remember where I got the 10 volts from. Yesterday we pulled a huge willow stump.

eKretz and TractorTech, now that you both have me working, my anxiety is lubrication. Do you know if anyone has a ready list for a unit like my 445C? I'm worried I'll miss something in the manuals, and I wonder if there are alternatives to the fluids specified.