Napa 7089 Hyd filter

/ Napa 7089 Hyd filter #21  
Call a dealer, have it shipped.. Problem solved!! Here is another thought, check a local JD dealer, they will have a match,a CNH dealer may too. You are better off trying those routes, than an unknown NAPA product.

Thanks for your help. Yep, problem solved.

I wasn't smart enough to realize that, I could order it from the dealer, have it shipped, pay additional money for shipping, and sit and wait for it. That sure beats going down the street to the NAPA store, and just picking it up.

Or, that the JD dealer had a match for a MF filter, that even NAPA, who has a huge catalog of filters, doesn't sell. :rolleyes:

/ Napa 7089 Hyd filter #22  
Thanks for your help. Yep, problem solved.

I wasn't smart enough to realize that, I could order it from the dealer, have it shipped, pay additional money for shipping, and sit and wait for it. That sure beats going down the street to the NAPA store, and just picking it up.

Or, that the JD dealer had a match for a MF filter, that even NAPA, who has a huge catalog of filters, doesn't sell. :rolleyes:

I know of quite a few AG farmers that buy all their filters from JD dealers for multiple brands of equipment, including their vehicles. Id rather have a JD (Baldwin) on my tractor than a Wix.

/ Napa 7089 Hyd filter #23  
Here's a good cross reference source: filters catalog, filter cross reference, fuel filter, oil filter, diesel fuel filter, fuel filter cross reference
I was having a hard time cross referencing a hydraulic oil filter with Altec's part number for my bucket truck. Used the above link and was able to cross it to a Donaldson number. Once I had that, It was easy to cross to a NAPA/WIX number. Local NAPA stocked it. If they didn't, most anything I ever ordered there shows up the next day. Sometimes 2 days if they have to get it from a more distant warehouse.

/ Napa 7089 Hyd filter #24  
Here's a good cross reference source: filters catalog, filter cross reference, fuel filter, oil filter, diesel fuel filter, fuel filter cross reference
I was having a hard time cross referencing a hydraulic oil filter with Altec's part number for my bucket truck. Used the above link and was able to cross it to a Donaldson number. Once I had that, It was easy to cross to a NAPA/WIX number. Local NAPA stocked it. If they didn't, most anything I ever ordered there shows up the next day. Sometimes 2 days if they have to get it from a more distant warehouse.

Our filter doesn't show up on any known cross reference list. That's why I sent an e-mail to NAPA to ask if they would approve the 7089 some have used, or if they could cross it to another filter they have.

They never responded.

/ Napa 7089 Hyd filter #25  
Our filter doesn't show up on any known cross reference list. That's why I sent an e-mail to NAPA to ask if they would approve the 7089 some have used, or if they could cross it to another filter they have.

They never responded.

Sorry to hear that Ray. I thought it was worth a shot because they listed so many manufacturers.
In my case, I got a filter number from Altec on the phone. (someone had painted over the current filter) I could not cross that number anyplace. But when I found the site I linked to, they listed Altec and I found the Altec number and the Donaldson cross reference there.
Just out of curiosity, do you have the Massey's OEM filter number? I tried the number posted by MFRED. No luck in 25 pages of MF filter numbers. Looking under the NAPA heading, there were 42 pages. The number went from 7087 and skipped to 7090. No 7089 listed. NAPA's site shows the 7089 2 times. One has this message with it: "IMPORTANT INFO: Suction,w/ O/E # 6795537710."
Using MFRED's OEM number on a NAPA cross reference site, I got this message: "This is a valid competitive part number and there is no replacement at this time." I know, that isn't helping you out at all.
I also tried out 5 or 6 other filter reference sites that I have bookmarked. No luck. This is a tough one.

Last edited:
   / Napa 7089 Hyd filter #26  
Yep, that's why I am reluctant to "experiment" with filters that fit, and appear to work.

It would seem that if they are the same they would cross somewhere.

/ Napa 7089 Hyd filter #27  
I called my local Napa. #7089 is $21.35, not in stock. Could have it in a few days. OEM #4265229m91 was $29.13 at the local dealership, 16 in stock. Drive is about the same except 1 trip to dealer & can get other tractor stuff there as well. Not to mention it's the correct filter, not an "equal" replacement. $7.78 isn't enough to sway me for an aftermarket. That's about $.025 cents per hour at suggested change interval.
The 400 hour filters on my 5435 are about $120. My mini Excavator are $140 each for 2. I can't understand why this $30 filter that needs to be changed every 300 hours gets so much attention. Is it really worth the risk?

I agree, not worth the risk or hassle.